Sign in with
Your question

$300-500 New PC With Mixed Parts

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2012 11:16:01 PM

Hi everyone, I'd consider myself a intermediate computer user, and the time has come for me to assemble my first computer out of individual parts. I'm effectively building a new PC, but I'll be using a few of the old parts from my current PC since they still work fine. I have picked out most of the new parts that I'll be getting already, but since I'm not an expert, I would like your input to verify that they are all compatible and will work together. Although if you could recommend better parts that would be even better. I'm smart enough to identify the kind of form factors and motherboard slots I need, but other than that please assume that I don't know anything about what is and isn't compatible. I've read the sticky post about how to ask these kinds of questions, and I filled all of it out, but I do have a few very important questions marked in bold that I'd really like some help with:

Approximate Purchase Date: Probably tomorrow.

Budget Range: $300-500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (mostly Guild Wars 2), watching videos/you tube, doing homework (word processors, spreadsheets, etc.), surfing the web

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: I'll be using a few of the parts from my current computer, and upgrading most of the important parts: I'll be upgrading the motherboard, CPU, RAM, operating system, hard drive and power supply. I'll be keeping my graphics card, case (including hard drive mount and wires and stuff), wireless card, and CD drive. Are those all the parts I'll need or am I forgetting something?

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I plan to buy windows 8.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.com. I would very much prefer to use Amazon, and I'd only consider Newegg or some other site if it was an amazing deal.

Location: Davis CA, USA, although I plan to buy all the parts from amazon, so this shouldn't really matter.

Parts Preferences: the parts I plan to buy are:
Motherboard: EVGA Intel P67 SLI Micro ATX DDR3 1333 Motherboard 120-SB-E672-KR
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G860 3.0 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80623G860
Hard Drive: Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
Operating System: Windows 8

The parts from my current computer that I plan to keep are:
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity (100315L )
Wireless Card: Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter

Are all of these parts mutually compatible?

Overclocking: Maybe, I would like your opinions on weather I should overclock or not, thanks.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes. The only graphics card I have now is a Radeon HD 6850, but if and when I need an upgrade, I would very much like the option to use crossfire X; are all of my components compatible with crossfire X?

Your Monitor Resolution: 1024x768

Additional Comments: My most important question is:Can you recommend a good power supply? I have no idea how to shop for a power supply, all I know is that the from factor is ATX (not mATX like my motherboard) and that I would like the price to be under $50. I would very much like a computer that is moderately "future proof," by which I mean easily upgradable. I want at least my motherboard, and the installtion of my operating system (and therfore my hard drive) to last about 8 years. For that reason, I chose a motherboard for which is is easy to upgrade RAM (I intentionally leave two open slots), GPU (Again, the mobo has one open PCI-E slot and Crossfire X capability), and the CPU (I understand that LGA 1155 is still compatible with even some of the most cutting edge CPUs). My only concern here is that I have heard that it can be difficult to upgrade the CPU without needing to reinstall the operating system, is this true for even such a simple upgrade as i-3 to i-5 or i-7? Should I invest in a beefier CPU or is that something I can upgrade later? One last question I have: am I correct in assuming the stuff I'm buying will come with at least a decent cooling system, or is that something I have to buy seperately?

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'd like to get a bit more performance out of Guild Wars 2, and I'd like to upgrade to windows 8 since it seems like it will have a lot of longevity, and sice my current set-up is only 32 bit. Also, my current computer frequently gets intermittent lag, which I think is caused by something (maybe the PSU?) failing.

More about : 300 500 mixed parts

!