Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

7770 or wait for GTX 650 TI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 9, 2012 12:33:19 PM

I know my cpu (E5400) is rather outdated but I am looking to buy a card that will not bottleneck my cpu too bad. The 7770 VaporX is the card I am looking at but is the GTX 650 TI a better buy just from the specifications?

More about : 7770 wait gtx 650

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 1:02:54 PM

7770 will be fine. be sure to overclock the 5400 it can get up to 4ghz pretty easily.

Low power gaming is awesome.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 1:55:31 PM

650Ti is not worth the price, HD 7850 is a better GPU but I do like having PhysX, GTX 660 maybe.?
HD 7770 = MEH..

m
0
l
Related resources
October 9, 2012 1:57:06 PM

I rarely overclock at all. After looking at Newegg's prices, they have an XFX Core Edition 7770 (single fan) for $116/106 AR. Is the dual fan and the vapor x cooling worth $34 more?
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 1:59:08 PM

how much is the HD 6870, doesn't it outperform the HD 7770.?
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 2:01:54 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a 450w XFX PSU which is why I'm leaning on buying the 7770.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 2:08:39 PM

understood.

HD 6870
External Power - 6-Pins: 2
Minimum Power Supply Requirement: 500 Watt
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 2:20:31 PM

If you want the best performance you can get for a resonable amount of money you should definelty save up a bit and buy a HD 7850.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=69558&vpn=AX7850%202GB...

Or if you can't afford it go for a HD 6870 instead.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62756&vpn=HD687AZHFC&m...

The GTX 650 Ti and the HD 7770 just aren't made with gaming in mind.They will both provide good performance but not nearly as good as the HD 7850 or even the HD 6870.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 2:51:33 PM

If the 650 ti drops to $139 I might consider it. I'm a little hesitant to buy the 7850 since my cpu will bottleneck the card. I have been using a 9600gt for a year now and I'm just looking to get a card that will still be decent for at least three to four years.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 3:02:51 PM

I didn't look at that, my apologies...
C2D (E5400).

save you money and upgrade platform or try and get a used/refurb C2Q.
what motherboard / system specs.?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 3:16:11 PM

supergtr said:
If the 650 ti drops to $139 I might consider it. I'm a little hesitant to buy the 7850 since my cpu will bottleneck the card. I have been using a 9600gt for a year now and I'm just looking to get a card that will still be decent for at least three to four years.


The 7770 that has been recommended here (repost link):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is faster on average than the 650 Ti despite begin cheaper than the 650 Ti. Regardless, I agree with proffet, you should upgrade your CPU, if not the platform. A graphics card can't really do much with a CPU that can't keep up.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 3:39:03 PM

supergtr said:
I know my cpu (E5400) is rather outdated but I am looking to buy a card that will not bottleneck my cpu too bad. The 7770 VaporX is the card I am looking at but is the GTX 650 TI a better buy just from the specifications?


I am running a E5400 with a 6770. OC to 3.6ghz. But it doesnt help much. I can use 70% of gpu as an average and other 30% is lost due to cpu bottleneck. And if you want to run witcher 2, then there will be lagging as hell.

So i am not going to say 7770 will be ok as it is powerful than 6770. You probably can use 60% of gpu. So if you buy 7770, keep in mind for cpu upgrade. Phenom ii x4 based system will not require more than $240(CPU+mobo+ram)
Share
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 3:51:41 PM

mubin said:
I am running a E5400 with a 6770. OC to 3.6ghz. But it doesnt help much. I can use 70% of gpu as an average and other 30% is lost due to cpu bottleneck. And if you want to run witcher 2, then there will be lagging as hell.

So i am not going to say 7770 will be ok as it is powerful than 6770. You probably can use 60% of gpu. So if you buy 7770, keep in mind for cpu upgrade. Phenom ii x4 based system will not require more than $240(CPU+mobo+ram)


I'd think that if a good deal is found, simply getting a Core 2 Quad would be a good enough gain for OP and that should be doable cheaper than a Phenom II x4 upgrade that also needs a decent motherboard and RAM.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 4:20:56 PM

I'm waiting for the 650 TI. I will be upgrading the motherboard and the cpu soon. Thanks for the help everyone.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 4:21:49 PM

Best answer selected by supergtr.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 5:23:29 PM

luciferano said:
I'd think that if a good deal is found, simply getting a Core 2 Quad would be a good enough gain for OP and that should be doable cheaper than a Phenom II x4 upgrade that also needs a decent motherboard and RAM.

+100
higher end C2Q's will do just fine and often equal Phenom II X4 chips.
but they are costly as well at times.

just save for a LGA 1155 build.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 5:33:52 PM

supergtr said:
I'm waiting for the 650 TI. I will be upgrading the motherboard and the cpu soon. Thanks for the help everyone.


650 Ti reviews are out, I do not recommend it. The 7850 is only slightly more expensive yet it is much better and I can name at least three highly factory overclocked 7770s that beat the 650 Ti while being cheaper than it.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 5:34:54 PM

C2Q is equal to Phenom ii x4 but why buy a used C2Q from ebay? Phenom ii x4 can be found new and can be oc to higher clock. So can be use for high-end gpu.

New phenom ii x4 will be more good than used C2Q for overclocking.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 5:38:20 PM

mubin said:
C2Q is equal to Phenom ii x4 but why buy a used C2Q from ebay? Phenom ii x4 can be found new and can be oc to higher clock. So can be use for high-end gpu.

New phenom ii x4 will be more good than used C2Q for overclocking.


It will be a little better, but would it be so much better that it is worth much more money? I don't think so. I'd rather recommend getting a Trinity A10 or A8 APU with a cheap motherboard and OCing the heck out of it after disabling the IGP (100W TDP with both CPU and IGP means one heck of a lot of thermal headroom with the IGP, more than half of the chip, disabled). That would be somewhat faster than Phenom II x4 while using far less power and it could so so on cheaper motherboards.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 5:44:27 PM

New thing is always worth than a used thing.

Yeah, new APU is also a better choice like phenom.
m
0
l
!