Thoughts on this $1400 first gaming build

Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ql3h

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Additional Questions:

1. Would the optical drive that I chose, able to burn DVDs and CDs? As I need it for projects for school.

2. Would I have any problems putting windows 7 on the SSD and putting everything else on the HDD?
6 answers Last reply
More about thoughts 1400 gaming build
  1. I suggest changing the video card to a 7950 or 7870 and you're good to go. The build looks neatly done to me.

A few nitpicking - you can save some if you just got a WD Caviar Blue, the difference is barely noticeable. The 840 isn't widely accepted positively, it's a good mix of good and bad, I suggest getting the 830 or 840 Pro instead, or the Vertex 4.

EDIT: Forgot to answer your questions.
    1. Yes, that ODD is good.
    2. No, Windows 7 should only take up around 30ish-gb, you can even add your favorite games and programs on the SSD for faster boot and little to no loading times in games.
  2. i'd remove the SSD and put the extra money with a higher Video Card. With your setup i have no doubt that you'll be OCing and gonna do some gaming.but if you dont have plans on doing CF or SLI why not select a z77-m motherboard? and select a m-atx case which will then give you extra money to get a bigger screen and a higher card.
  3. i wouldn't get the nzxt 410 phantom(red) i have one and there are several kind of good and bad things about it.
    Pros:
    -The window is nice but shows 5.25 bays
    -the fans are great
    -5.25 bays are covered
    -lots of cable tie down spots
    -angles are very stylish
    Cons:
    -the power & reset button get jammed easily
    -paint scratches easily
    -cable managment not much room behind motherboard
    -no fan filters except on psu which is rather sad

I went with it because of the red i'm guessing you too but i would perfer something like a corsair 500r or c70, bitfenix shinobi, nzxt tempest 410 or either fractal case r4 or midi. Also your motherboard can only use 2 usb3 so a case with usb3 front headers would not allow you to plug in the card reader usb.
  4. tech_twist said:
    i'd remove the SSD and put the extra money with a higher Video Card. With your setup i have no doubt that you'll be OCing and gonna do some gaming.but if you dont have plans on doing CF or SLI why not select a z77-m motherboard? and select a m-atx case which will then give you extra money to get a bigger screen and a higher card.

i would agree i just don't know a good matx case. None of them have windows or handles or really gaming oriented features. They need one so badly i wish bifenix would make the prodigy just a little bigger for a Matx MoBo it would sell like crazy.
  5. emperor piehead said:
    i would agree i just don't know a good matx case. None of them have windows or handles or really gaming oriented features. They need one so badly i wish bifenix would make the prodigy just a little bigger for a Matx MoBo it would sell like crazy.

i can only think of 1 matx case and it was the NZXT Vulcan that has a handle^^ and has a side panel mesh with holes to put fans on it :)
  6. If you can live without a hard drive activity LED (bizarre, I know), the Fractal Design Define Mini is a GREAT m-ATX case. It's as sturdy as an Antec, with the fit and finish of a Lian Li. Plan on opening the top vent and adding a fan there; mine got a little warm until I did that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Optical Media Systems