Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on this $1400 first gaming build

Last response: in Systems
December 1, 2012 12:29:22 AM

Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ql3h

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Additional Questions:

1. Would the optical drive that I chose, able to burn DVDs and CDs? As I need it for projects for school.

2. Would I have any problems putting windows 7 on the SSD and putting everything else on the HDD?
a b 4 Gaming
December 1, 2012 12:35:48 AM

I suggest changing the video card to a 7950 or 7870 and you're good to go. The build looks neatly done to me.

A few nitpicking - you can save some if you just got a WD Caviar Blue, the difference is barely noticeable. The 840 isn't widely accepted positively, it's a good mix of good and bad, I suggest getting the 830 or 840 Pro instead, or the Vertex 4.

EDIT: Forgot to answer your questions.
1. Yes, that ODD is good.
2. No, Windows 7 should only take up around 30ish-gb, you can even add your favorite games and programs on the SSD for faster boot and little to no loading times in games.
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:48:29 AM

i'd remove the SSD and put the extra money with a higher Video Card. With your setup i have no doubt that you'll be OCing and gonna do some gaming.but if you dont have plans on doing CF or SLI why not select a z77-m motherboard? and select a m-atx case which will then give you extra money to get a bigger screen and a higher card.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2012 1:12:31 AM

i wouldn't get the nzxt 410 phantom(red) i have one and there are several kind of good and bad things about it.
Pros:
-The window is nice but shows 5.25 bays
-the fans are great
-5.25 bays are covered
-lots of cable tie down spots
-angles are very stylish
Cons:
-the power & reset button get jammed easily
-paint scratches easily
-cable managment not much room behind motherboard
-no fan filters except on psu which is rather sad

I went with it because of the red i'm guessing you too but i would perfer something like a corsair 500r or c70, bitfenix shinobi, nzxt tempest 410 or either fractal case r4 or midi. Also your motherboard can only use 2 usb3 so a case with usb3 front headers would not allow you to plug in the card reader usb.
m
l
December 1, 2012 1:26:59 AM

tech_twist said:
i'd remove the SSD and put the extra money with a higher Video Card. With your setup i have no doubt that you'll be OCing and gonna do some gaming.but if you dont have plans on doing CF or SLI why not select a z77-m motherboard? and select a m-atx case which will then give you extra money to get a bigger screen and a higher card.

i would agree i just don't know a good matx case. None of them have windows or handles or really gaming oriented features. They need one so badly i wish bifenix would make the prodigy just a little bigger for a Matx MoBo it would sell like crazy.
m
l
December 1, 2012 3:31:54 AM

emperor piehead said:
i would agree i just don't know a good matx case. None of them have windows or handles or really gaming oriented features. They need one so badly i wish bifenix would make the prodigy just a little bigger for a Matx MoBo it would sell like crazy.

i can only think of 1 matx case and it was the NZXT Vulcan that has a handle^^ and has a side panel mesh with holes to put fans on it :) 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 1, 2012 3:39:04 AM

If you can live without a hard drive activity LED (bizarre, I know), the Fractal Design Define Mini is a GREAT m-ATX case. It's as sturdy as an Antec, with the fit and finish of a Lian Li. Plan on opening the top vent and adding a fan there; mine got a little warm until I did that.
m
l
!