D70 to copy 35mm slides?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 20, 2005 2:14:40 AM

Hi all
I want to be able to "digitize" some old 35mm slides from a family event.
Does anybody have any recommendations, please. I have the standard D70 body
with the older analogue (film) camera lenses (F65). Is there an attachment
I can fit onto the body / end of the lens and point to a light source and
shoot the slide?
Thanks in advance for sensible suggestions
Cheerio for now
Norm.

More about : d70 copy 35mm slides

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:14:41 AM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:14:40 +0100, N. Joy <Any2@jfdi.net> wrote:
> Hi all
> I want to be able to "digitize" some old 35mm slides from a family event.
> Does anybody have any recommendations, please. I have the standard D70 body
> with the older analogue (film) camera lenses (F65). Is there an attachment
> I can fit onto the body / end of the lens and point to a light source and
> shoot the slide?

I think you're better off using a scanner. A scanner is much better
optimized for that kind of job than a digital camera. It can take
its time making the exposure; it does not have to worry about power
consumption; its optics are designed for a flat subject at a set
distance.

If a scanner isn't practical for you for whatever reason, then
sorry, I do not have any suggestions as to how best to accomplish
your task with a D70.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

"N. Joy" <Any2@jfdi.net> writes:

> with the older analogue (film) camera lenses (F65). Is there an attachment
> I can fit onto the body / end of the lens and point to a light source and
> shoot the slide?

Yes, check with adorama or B&H. I'm not sure of the quality of the results,
but it's certainly cheaper than buying a scanner or hiring the scanning
done.
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:01:43 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:14:40 +0100, N. Joy wrote:

> Hi all
> I want to be able to "digitize" some old 35mm slides from a family event.
> Does anybody have any recommendations, please. I have the standard D70 body
> with the older analogue (film) camera lenses (F65). Is there an attachment
> I can fit onto the body / end of the lens and point to a light source and
> shoot the slide?
> Thanks in advance for sensible suggestions
> Cheerio for now
> Norm.

I have a device that was given to me by an acquaintance. It is a homemade
slide copier made out of perspex - essentially just a box with a light in
it and a place to hold a slide. Apparently he used this thing on a copy
stand with an F4s.

I haven't tried it, but I see no reason why you couldn't do it with a
tripod, a zoom lens (for proper framing) and a lightbox.

--
The good old days start now.
Anonymous

"Roxy d'Urban" <not@home.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.04.20.09.01.35.266000@home.com...
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:14:40 +0100, N. Joy wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>> I want to be able to "digitize" some old 35mm slides from a family event.
>> Does anybody have any recommendations, please. I have the standard D70
>> body
>> with the older analogue (film) camera lenses (F65). Is there an
>> attachment
>> I can fit onto the body / end of the lens and point to a light source and
>> shoot the slide?
>> Thanks in advance for sensible suggestions
>> Cheerio for now
>> Norm.
>
> I have a device that was given to me by an acquaintance. It is a homemade
> slide copier made out of perspex - essentially just a box with a light in
> it and a place to hold a slide. Apparently he used this thing on a copy
> stand with an F4s.
>
> I haven't tried it, but I see no reason why you couldn't do it with a
> tripod, a zoom lens (for proper framing) and a lightbox.
>
> --
> The good old days start now.

I was going to suggest an even simpler homemade method I used with my Nikon
995...hadn't had the need to try it with my D70 yet. I used an old desktop
flourescent lamp with a tranluscent panel I cut from the side of an ice
cream bucket that slid up under the bulbs and hung down perpendicular to the
light (a poorman's lightbox?). To this I attached a clip to hold the
slide/negative in place. I set up the 995 on a tripod about an inch and a
half away, set the camera in inverse mode (for negatives, not for positives)
set focus to macro, and shot away. With this setup, I was able to quickly
process about a 100 old negatives from about 1920 thru 1980 with pretty darn
good results. Some required a bit of color correction, but the older ones
came out very good.

I am not sure how this setup would work on a D70, as the macro is not as
good...I have also since aquired an old xray viewbox and will try it next
time I have the need.

Mike
June 2, 2012 9:24:13 PM

Quote:

Hi all
I want to be able to "digitize" some old 35mm slides from a family event.
Does anybody have any recommendations, please. I have the standard D70 body
with the older analogue (film) camera lenses (F65). Is there an attachment
I can fit onto the body / end of the lens and point to a light source and
shoot the slide?
Thanks in advance for sensible suggestions
Cheerio for now
Norm.

I have been using my 70 and 80 for some time with great results.
The file goes into lightroom then photoshop.
The results in print, web and archiving very good.
Just remember to save to size at 300 dpi or more.

http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com/

I also us the transparency adaptor on my flatbed and us an unexposed but processed color negative with the b&w neg with excelent restults too.
!