Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need helping buying new pc

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
December 1, 2012 1:23:23 AM

I have around 1,500 USD to either order parts for my existing computer, or order a completely new one.

But i really have no idea how to pick the best pieces for my money...

Ideally, i'd like to order parts (even though its harder) for my existing computer, so i dont have to pay for a new case, hd, and operating system.


I'd like it to be a gaming system so i can run games on high on 1080p with good fps.

my current system is

GPU: Radeon HD 6850

CPU: AMD FX x8 core 8120

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock N68-VS3 FX

and 8gb RAM

Basically I'm hoping to upgrade both the gpu and cpu, and ram if necessary.. not sure if it is.

But my problem is i dont know which GPu and CPU i can get for my money that wont hold back the other (for example if i bought a cpu that held back my fps when i play games, even if i had bought a very good card)

So, can someone help me out with which upgrades i can get for my computer?

More about : helping buying

December 1, 2012 1:29:53 AM

Is your case expensive and do you have a HD or an SSD? If you just have a hard drive and a regular case I would just build a new PC... with $1500 you can build one hell of a beast!
m
0
l

Best solution

December 1, 2012 1:32:44 AM

Please fill this out. I can almost guarentee you will not need $1500 to play games that you require, a $850 build will work for most people even with the most intense games now a days.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

In any case, Just to tell you, your current build is pretty good already, I'd just upgrade the FX-8120 to the FX-8320 then swap the 6850 to say the 7950 or so and you'd be pretty much set. The Motherboard may need to be upgraded to say... an 990FX Extreme3.
Share
Related resources
December 1, 2012 1:32:48 AM

coper210 said:
Is your case expensive and do you have a HD or an SSD? If you just have a hard drive and a regular case I would just build a new PC... with $1500 you can build one hell of a beast!



$1500 being a hell of a beast! Hell no 1500$ will get you good $4000 will bet you a hell of a beast you need to learn more!
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 1:42:10 AM

for 1500 you can get a Intel Rig easily
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 1:44:05 AM

aznshinobi said:
Please fill this out. I can almost guarentee you will not need $1500 to play games that you require, a $850 build will work for most people even with the most intense games now a days.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

In any case, Just to tell you, your current build is pretty good already, I'd just upgrade the FX-8120 to the FX-8320 then swap the 6850 to say the 7950 or so and you'd be pretty much set. The Motherboard may need to be upgraded to say... an 990FX Extreme3.



Hi i think i will go with what you suggested.. upgrading cpu and gpu to those.

And i also forgot to mention my PSU.. I believe i have a 600w PSU, would that be sufficient for those 2?
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 1:45:12 AM

ThatMoose said:
$1500 being a hell of a beast! Hell no 1500$ will get you good $4000 will bet you a hell of a beast you need to learn more!

You don't think that a watercooled i7 with a 680 and a nice case with 16gb's of RAM and a 240GB SSD is not a beast? Yeah, you sir are spoiled.
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 1:48:02 AM

coper210 said:
You don't think that a watercooled i7 with a 680 and a nice case with 16gb's of RAM and a 240GB SSD is not a beast? Yeah, you sir are spoiled.

Ain't that the truth
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 1:51:10 AM

Which PSU is it?

For gaming GPU is more important and with that said, just upgrading the CPU and GPU will be fine quite honestly. How ever if you plan to Crossfire, you will need to get a better board, a bigger one at that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For the PSU, 2 7950s will require at least a 750w. If you plan on overclocking them and the FX-8320 then go for a 850w.
For the 750w: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-HIVE-750-Bronze-ATX12V-C...
For the 850w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For those who will diss the recomendations.

Both are modular and get great marks.
Rosewill: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-HIVE-65...
Kingwin: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...


m
0
l
December 1, 2012 1:59:48 AM

aznshinobi said:
Which PSU is it?

For gaming GPU is more important and with that said, just upgrading the CPU and GPU will be fine quite honestly. How ever if you plan to Crossfire, you will need to get a better board, a bigger one at that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For the PSU, 2 7950s will require at least a 750w. If you plan on overclocking them and the FX-8320 then go for a 850w.
For the 750w: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-HIVE-750-Bronze-ATX12V-C...
For the 850w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For those who will diss the recomendations.

Both are modular and get great marks.
Rosewill: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-HIVE-65...
Kingwin: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...


I don't think i will crossfire, with only the 7950, and the new CPU I think i'm understanding a 600w PSU will be fine?
And sorry I dont know where to check PSU type, I only know that it is 600w. i open case and it only has 2 stickers... one is a "test" sticker with some testing of other parts they must have did before they shipped it to me, and the other sticker just says "QC"
maybe the sticker is on another side of the box, but i'd have to remove it for that.. But knowing that it is a 600w it should be alright with just one 7950 and the new CPU?
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 2:09:46 AM

Yes, then the 600w will be fine. Can you please check the company? Yes a 600w is good enough but if it's not a great one I couldn't guarantee anything.
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 2:32:10 AM

aznshinobi said:
Yes, then the 600w will be fine. Can you please check the company? Yes a 600w is good enough but if it's not a great one I couldn't guarantee anything.



ok I checked i have Arctic PSU and model is ARPS-600
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 2:49:10 AM

Best answer selected by AndrewFM.
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 3:14:16 AM

NP, good luck.
m
0
l
!