Will I have bottleneck issues?

snakeeater11112

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Hey whats up forums? I just recently purchased MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 4GD5/OC GeForce GTX 680 4GB, and was wondering if my computer would or will have bottleneck issues? PC specs as followed

Mainboard : MSI 870A-G46 (MS-7599)
Chipset : AMD RD770
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz
Physical Memory : 4096MBDDR3-SDRAM (G. Skill Ripjaw and updating to 8gb)
Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6850
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD5000AAKS-00V1A0 ATA Device (500GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI iHAS124 C
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 500W (Updating to Corsair 800W of course)

Thanks guys for helping, just want to be sure

Solution

Agreed.

Many people fear CPU bottlenecks, but by buying more powerfull CPU's they automaticly create GPU bottlenecks.
Either way there will be no major bottleneck.Yes there will be some cases where your CPU will limit your FPS but if you're already playing with 120 FPS, 30 FPS more won't make a difference.
Just take a look at this article.Consider your CPU to be faster than a Athlon 645 and slower than a Phenom 970...

ram1009

Distinguished
The term "bottleneck" seems to be getting grossly over used IMHO. No matter what you do there will always be one component slower than the rest. If you fix one "bottleneck" you automatically create another. Why is that so hard to understand?

Kamen_BG

Distinguished

Agreed.

Many people fear CPU bottlenecks, but by buying more powerfull CPU's they automaticly create GPU bottlenecks.
Either way there will be no major bottleneck.Yes there will be some cases where your CPU will limit your FPS but if you're already playing with 120 FPS, 30 FPS more won't make a difference.
Just take a look at this article.Consider your CPU to be faster than a Athlon 645 and slower than a Phenom 970.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_7970_cpu_scaling_performance_review,1.html

Solution
G

Because that CPU is sort of underpowered. A good overclock should help the bottleneck. But its not going to be too severe. Unless you play at a low resolution.

I couldn't agree more. The only people that should be worrying about bottlenecks are using outdated machines with dual core processors. So your CPU isn't as fast as a core i5 or i7. BFD. Its still plenty fast enough to run most software at 1080p. Unless you are willing to spend hundreds on a new PC I would be happy with the setup you have.

HunterPure

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
since you have a Zosma you can unlock it to a 1600T=1090T. your cpu should than less be an bottleneck and you MoBo can support it! (can get a bit heated there, so try to upgrade you CPU cooler)

G

i am sure it looks at multi threaded performance or some of those other cpus would not have done as well.

*cough*bulldozer*cough*