peterb

Distinguished
May 30, 2001

Hi!

I get BSOD when I put a DVD (MSDN VS.NET installation disc) into my DVD+RW
drive. The message in the BSOD is

STOP 0x0000007E ...
tfsnifs.sys ...

I have a new Dell 8400 Dimension
TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E (DVD/CD)
RADEON X300 Series (Graphics)
NAV 2004

When I put the DVD in the drive the system first freezes for a minute or
two, then I get BSOD.

What is tfsnifs.sys used for(All I understand is that it is used with the
DVD)? Who is actually responsible for it? Where can I get an update?

I got a suggestion to disable write functionality for the drive, but I can't
seem to find how to do that, any suggestions?

Thanks!

/ Peter

Hi

Try the following link - left hand column:

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"PeterB" <peter@data.se> wrote in message news:eu16HjfeEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi!
>
> I get BSOD when I put a DVD (MSDN VS.NET installation disc) into my DVD+RW
> drive. The message in the BSOD is
>
> STOP 0x0000007E ...
> tfsnifs.sys ...
>
> I have a new Dell 8400 Dimension
> TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E (DVD/CD)
> RADEON X300 Series (Graphics)
> NAV 2004
>
> When I put the DVD in the drive the system first freezes for a minute or
> two, then I get BSOD.
>
> What is tfsnifs.sys used for(All I understand is that it is used with the
> DVD)? Who is actually responsible for it? Where can I get an update?
>
> I got a suggestion to disable write functionality for the drive, but I can't
> seem to find how to do that, any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> / Peter

Peter,

I ran into the same problem today and am looking for a solution. Let's keep
each other informed of any progress. It seems like there must be an updated
driver out there somewhere. Thanx.

"PeterB" <peter@data.se> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I get BSOD when I put a DVD (MSDN VS.NET installation disc) into my DVD+RW
> drive. The message in the BSOD is
>
> STOP 0x0000007E ...
> tfsnifs.sys ...
>
> I have a new Dell 8400 Dimension
> TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E (DVD/CD)
> RADEON X300 Series (Graphics)
> NAV 2004
>
> When I put the DVD in the drive the system first freezes for a minute or
> two, then I get BSOD.
>
> What is tfsnifs.sys used for(All I understand is that it is used with the
> DVD)? Who is actually responsible for it? Where can I get an update?
>
> I got a suggestion to disable write functionality for the drive, but I
can't
> seem to find how to do that, any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> / Peter

Peter,

Go to support.dell.com, search for BR77686.exe, and download the file.

"PeterB" <peter@data.se> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I get BSOD when I put a DVD (MSDN VS.NET installation disc) into my DVD+RW
> drive. The message in the BSOD is
>
> STOP 0x0000007E ...
> tfsnifs.sys ...
>
> I have a new Dell 8400 Dimension
> TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E (DVD/CD)
> RADEON X300 Series (Graphics)
> NAV 2004
>
> When I put the DVD in the drive the system first freezes for a minute or
> two, then I get BSOD.
>
> What is tfsnifs.sys used for(All I understand is that it is used with the
> DVD)? Who is actually responsible for it? Where can I get an update?
>
> I got a suggestion to disable write functionality for the drive, but I
can't
> seem to find how to do that, any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> / Peter

Trin

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

G'day, everyone.
Apologies for my digging up an old thread--I shan't make a habit of it.
I recently encountered the same problem that Peter and Bob had
described. The firmware update from DELL did not fix the problem for
me; but disabling Sonic's Drive Letter Access (DLA) did.
To disable Sonic's DLA:
"My Computer" -> right click on the DVD+RW device then choose
"Properties" -> on the "Drive Properties" screen, click on the DLA tab
-> remove the check mark from "Enable DLA on your drives" -> click "OK"
-> Reboot.
All the best,
Trin

Thank you, thank you, thank you ! I had over month an unfruitful email
exchange with the Dell help desk and did fortunatly not follow their
recommendation to reinstall Windows XP. Disabling DLA made it and one of
my sons Christmas presents got installed.
Season greetings from Germany
Manfred Löbens

I just got the same exact bsod and found this forum when I googled
tfsnifs.sys and guess what I have a Dell 8400 with the exact same: TEAC
DVD+RW DV-W58E (DVD/CD)
RADEON X300 Series (Graphics) exect I am running Norton Internet
Securtiy 2005, obviously it is a Dell problem, it is always so much fun
calling them for help and spending 3 hours on hold.

--
jon111

map

jon111 wrote:
> I just got the same exact bsod and found this forum when I googled
> tfsnifs.sys and guess what I have a Dell 8400 with the exact same:
> TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E (DVD/CD)
> RADEON X300 Series (Graphics) exect I am running Norton Internet
> Securtiy 2005, obviously it is a Dell problem, it is always so much
> fun calling them for help and spending 3 hours on hold.
>
> PeterB wrote:
>> *Hi!
>>
>> I get BSOD when I put a DVD (MSDN VS.NET installation disc) into my
>> DVD+RW
>> drive. The message in the BSOD is
>>
>> STOP 0x0000007E ...
>> tfsnifs.sys ...
>>
>> I have a new Dell 8400 Dimension
>> TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E (DVD/CD)
>> RADEON X300 Series (Graphics)
>> NAV 2004
>>
>> When I put the DVD in the drive the system first freezes for a minute
>> or
>> two, then I get BSOD.
>>
>> What is tfsnifs.sys used for(All I understand is that it is used with
>> the
>> DVD)? Who is actually responsible for it? Where can I get an update?
>>
>> I got a suggestion to disable write functionality for the drive, but
>> I can't
>> seem to find how to do that, any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> / Peter *

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not
catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including
hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some
software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional
information

--
Mike Pawlak

I get it sometimes but my DVD drives aren't from TEAC. I think tfsnifs.sys
is from Sonic and it's almost obviously a Sonic problem. But if any guest
machines are active under Virtual PC then the chances of a BSOD go up
enormously, so it might be partly a Microsoft problem as well.