What is the best card fot optiplex 755 SFF?

TheOptiplexNoob

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
i know this is a repost but my other post is buggy and i cant edit it to be a question, i can also not delete it.

Hey guys,

i just bought a dell optiplex 755 to upgrade to a gaming PC, i know its not the best but it´s what i have.

the only problem is that i´m not an expert on the compatibility of hardware components.

so, my question is what the best low profile gaming GPU is that compatible is with my crappy system.

here are somespecs:

hard drive: 80gb

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz E4500

height: 9.0 cm (3.57 inches)

native screen resolution of monitor: 1680x1050 @60Hz

budget is around 100 dollars

games i want to be able to play on this system: CoD TF2, and BF3 if posible.

the i'm not sure what wattage the PSU is but is. but i dont want to replace that.

sorry for my bad English.

thank you.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Its a tiny bit above your budget, but the 7750 is your best bet for a low-profile and low power draw gaming card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202002

Might be able to find one on sale somewhere.

You really need to pop open the PC and confirm the power supply. I'm not putting my word behind this recommendation until that happens :) That said, I agree that on an older PC like this a full retrofit with a new power supply might not be worth it. Also, Dell usually puts pretty good power supply units in their PCs.

Edit: 7750 performance review - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750-benchmark,3135.html

TheOptiplexNoob

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

ow, i see its PCI 3.0 i dont know if that is going to work with my old system...

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I would be comfortable with 305w, 270w is pushing it a little, but may still be ok. The card pulls about 90w max if you want to look up some power calculators.

Its backward compatible - 3.0 will work fine in a 1.0 slot (as long as you have a free PCI Express x16 slot and it physically fits in the case)

Great. I'm not sure what the best site is for you, but if you want to see what low-profile 7750s you can find we can make comments on brands. Sapphire is a good brand.

TheOptiplexNoob

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/318712/sapphire-7750-1gb-gddr5-low-profile.html?orderField=shipping&orderSort=desc#tab:info

this is what i found, maybe you can translate the site w/ google chrome...

thank you anyway you really helped me out!

TheOptiplexNoob

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

ow yeah, do you know what the best ram for gaming is (DDR2)

i mean with speed and all?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Looks like the exact card I linked! :)

With regard to DDR2 -- do you know exactly what is currently in your system? You need more detailed motherboard info to pick out compatible memory.

I would say that you should try to get 4gb of memory. Ideally 4 sticks of 1gb each (should be cheaper), but 2 sticks of 2gb would work too. Depending on what you currently have you might be able to reuse what is in the system, or it might be better to replace it all.

Don't spend too much on this. Memory types won't make a real difference in gaming, as long as you have enough to run basic programs. There are lots of good brands - micron (crucial), kingston, gskill, corsair, etc.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Also - I should have said at the start -- in a lot of games, the age of the PC is going to slow you down no matter what. The 7750 is the best card you can get, but will in some instances be slowed down by the slower processor and ddr2 that you have.