Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is the motherboard and the psu in my file server build crap?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • File Server
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 1, 2012 4:19:40 AM

The specs:
Biostar H61MGV
8gb(2x4gb) 1333mhz RCMemory ram
3TB toshiba HDD
Core i3 2120
Intel HD graphics
Psu that came with power logic futura 220
Is the psu and motherboard crap?if yes any suggestions about the replacement parts?
My decision:Asrock H77M(with or without itx)
Corsair CX500
I am more concerned about the psu as I heard of stories of lousy psu blowing up and the whole computer is screwed.
Any help welcome

More about : motherboard psu file server build crap

December 1, 2012 4:38:12 AM

Edit I get a corsair cx430 instead.enough for my file server.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2012 4:39:29 AM

I would agree on your PSU concerns. If you are running onboard graphics only you could get away with a very small good power supply. Something like a 300-400W from a reputable brand like Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, etc would be fine. A 430w Corsair would be plenty.

That motherboard is a no frills board. I wouldn't say it is crap at all, but I would not try any overclocking with it and it lacks features that other boards may have. I would not replace it unless you had good reason.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 135 V Motherboard
December 1, 2012 4:49:52 AM

Biostar is not what I'd call a reliable brand they trend to produce short lived crap.But they are cheap. For more reliability I'd get an Asus our Gigabyte board.
m
l
December 1, 2012 4:53:39 AM

Best answer selected by Giggitygoebbels.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2012 4:59:09 AM

^Biostar boards are not bad at all. They are not renowned for their overclocking abilities or feature rich boards, but for a low cost system why not? I think the only item I would be concerns with is the PSU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 135 V Motherboard
December 1, 2012 5:04:06 AM

I guess my luck just must be bad I have never had anything but problems with Biostar boards. Their support was horrible to boot, but I guess it was a few years ago and I have just held a grudge since.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2012 5:22:35 AM

bignastyid said:
I guess my luck just must be bad I have never had anything but problems with Biostar boards. Their support was horrible to boot, but I guess it was a few years ago and I have just held a grudge since.

I know how that can go. I have a buddy who holds a grudge with Gigabyte because of his motherboard. However, I've seen BioStar motherboards run for years and years. I guess once you have a bad taste.
m
l
!