6820 infrared to laptop PC suite 6.4 not recognizing phone

The laptop in question is an IBM X40 (Centrino Pentium M 1.2GHz, 512MB
RAM) with an internal infrared port. Device Manager labels it "IBM
ThinkPad Fast Infrared Port". Hardware settings allow for 2
transceivers to be modified (default settings are IBM SC-20H2987 for
transceiver A, and SIR Transceiver for B) with a max connect rate of 4
Mbps. This is running Windows XP SP2, with PC Suite 6.48 (latest
available). I have also tried 6.41 with the same results.
The problem does not occur upon the first few connections -- Windows
will report the active infrared connection all the time (exceptions
tend to pop up after a docking/undocking, but I am willing to ignore
this problem for now). I can even send files to the phone all the time
when windows does its infrared notification. Upon a fresh reboot/power
on, PC Suite will acknowledge the phone being detected, and will
synchronize. However after doing this 2-3 times successfully, the next
time I establish the IR connection Windows will do as it should, but
the PC Suite software will act as if the phone is not there. I will
not be able to synchronize or pull data from the phone; Windows
nonetheless will be able to send files TO the phone.
I read other posts having done as suggested to lower the connection
rate to 115k, and even tried lower. I have also tried changing both
transceivers to different values, yet to no avail.
I am completely at a loss as to why the software is behaving this way.
Are others having similar problems as I am? Is it a compatibility
issue with the IR Port? Suggestions on certain settings that i can
change my IR port to so this doesn't happen? Any working alternatives?
Many thanks to any who can provide help.
2 answers Last reply
More about 6820 infrared laptop suite recognizing phone

    In article <1104911207.701366.297760@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    maskedferret@charter.net says...

    ( snip )
    > Are others having similar problems as I am? Is it a compatibility
    > issue with the IR Port? Suggestions on certain settings that i can
    > change my IR port to so this doesn't happen? Any working alternatives?
    > Many thanks to any who can provide help.

    FWIW, I'm using a 6820 on an IBM T30 using infrared under Win XP SP1,
    and haven't had the problem you report. It's an odd one!

    Good luck

    Marc

    Try to decrease infrare port's speed downto 115200 bit/s. It is standard IR
    port speed value for all Nokia phones. If your InfraRed port is set to 4
    Megabits per second, it may not function (as this speed is much more
    greater, than phone's InfraRed transceiver one). I.e., 4 Megabit/s won't
    function anyway.

    Also we can suggest to have a look at Oxygen Phone Manager II (
    http://www.opm-2.com/ ). Infrared connection is very stable in our program.
    You can download the latest free trial version here:
    http://www.opm-2.com/download/opm2.zip

    Just don't forget to turn infrared connection off in Nokia Connection
    Manager before running our program.

    PS: Connection issue can be caused also by internal hardware malfunction.

    http://www.opm-2.com/forum/

    Best regards, Maxim Vyalkov
    Oxygen Software - tools for your mobile phone.
    Oxygen Phone Manager II - all you want from your mobile phone.
    http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk/
    http://www.smsactivex.com/

    Hello, maskedferret!
    You wrote in conference alt.cellular.nokia on 4 Jan 2005 23:46:47 -0800
    from address maskedferret@charter.net:

    >The laptop in question is an IBM X40 (Centrino Pentium M 1.2GHz, 512MB
    >RAM) with an internal infrared port. Device Manager labels it "IBM
    >ThinkPad Fast Infrared Port". Hardware settings allow for 2
    >transceivers to be modified (default settings are IBM SC-20H2987 for
    >transceiver A, and SIR Transceiver for B) with a max connect rate of 4
    >Mbps. This is running Windows XP SP2, with PC Suite 6.48 (latest
    >available). I have also tried 6.41 with the same results.
    >The problem does not occur upon the first few connections -- Windows
    >will report the active infrared connection all the time (exceptions
    >tend to pop up after a docking/undocking, but I am willing to ignore
    >this problem for now). I can even send files to the phone all the time
    >when windows does its infrared notification. Upon a fresh reboot/power
    >on, PC Suite will acknowledge the phone being detected, and will
    >synchronize. However after doing this 2-3 times successfully, the next
    >time I establish the IR connection Windows will do as it should, but
    >the PC Suite software will act as if the phone is not there. I will
    >not be able to synchronize or pull data from the phone; Windows
    >nonetheless will be able to send files TO the phone.
    >I read other posts having done as suggested to lower the connection
    >rate to 115k, and even tried lower. I have also tried changing both
    >transceivers to different values, yet to no avail.
    >I am completely at a loss as to why the software is behaving this way.
    >Are others having similar problems as I am? Is it a compatibility
    >issue with the IR Port? Suggestions on certain settings that i can
    >change my IR port to so this doesn't happen? Any working alternatives?
    >Many thanks to any who can provide help.

Nokia Laptops Phones Infrared