NTFS on USB2.0 removable disk

August 4, 2004 3:55:17 PM

Hi,
There is anyone that know how to use NTFS over a USB2.0 removable disk?
I have tried in various mode without result.
The only way to use the external drive in Windows XP is formatting it with
FAT32 file system
Can anyone help me?
I have win xp pro sp1a (windows update updated.)
Thank
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 5, 2004 12:53:07 PM

"darkeagle" <darkeagle@italy.it> wrote in message
> Hi,
> There is anyone that know how to use NTFS over a USB2.0 removable disk?
> I have tried in various mode without result.
> The only way to use the external drive in Windows XP is formatting it with
> FAT32 file system
> Can anyone help me?
> I have win xp pro sp1a (windows update updated.)
> Thank

You haven't said what kind of USB2.0 removable disk you have.

If you have an IDE drive in a caddy then you can extract the drive, and plug
it
into an internal IDE connector (or whatever), and format it as NTFS and then
put it back in the caddy and it'll work if connected via USB.

If you have a flash storage device then you could try Linux as it supports
captive-ntfs and is probably less fusy about removable or not, and might
be able to do what you want.

There may be a better method that I'm not aware of, anyone ?

Brian
August 20, 2004 1:01:42 AM

I have found that even that the NTFS is not shown under format you can use
'convert x: /fs:ntfs' from 'run' to change many types of removable drives,
including ZIP drives and USB Thumb drives - also known as Pen, Memory or
Flash drives.

--
Pavel

"darkeagle" <darkeagle@italy.it> wrote in message
> Hi,
> There is anyone that know how to use NTFS over a USB2.0 removable disk?
> I have tried in various mode without result.
> The only way to use the external drive in Windows XP is formatting it with
> FAT32 file system
> Can anyone help me?
> I have win xp pro sp1a (windows update updated.)
> Thank

Related resources
September 23, 2011 11:23:35 AM

please serch for the divice