Any problems with this setup?

jcb94

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Hi, I currently have 4Gb of DDR2 RAM and a 2.3Ghz AMD Quad Core (according to systemrequirementslab.com it's a 9650). As I've done at least 95% of my gaming on PS2 and PS3 and just played RTS games on my PC, I don't have a very good graphics card (a GeForce G100). I'm looking to upgrade as i want to play GTA IV on PC for the modding options as well as ArmA 2 (i love anything military). Based on a lot of research, I've settled on a Radeon HD 7850 for it's price and performance. I have the correct PCI slot on the motherboard and my PSU can handle the power, so should I go for this card?

Recap of specs:
2.3Ghz quad core
4Gb DDR2 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 Graphics Card.

What kind of performance can I expect on these games with this setup or are there alternative graphics cards you would recommend that are the same price or cheaper?

The cheapest i have found this card for is £136.26

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Which AMD Quadcore? You have two bottlenecks already the 4 gb ddr2 ram and the AMD CPU..

jcb94

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

AMD Phantom X4 9650. I know that the CPU will be a bottleneck but is it significant and would it be a major one on GTA 4? Also, why is the RAM a bottleneck? surely 4Gig is enough for almost any game.

jemm

Distinguished
AMD Radeon HD 7850 is a very good card http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148.html

As you´ve already agreed CPU will be a bottleneck for the card, but not for the game. I think a Phenom X4 9650 can run GTA 4 without a problem.

The DDR2 will be a little less responsive in games, than a DDR3 set up, which has faster transferring data, tough you can compensate by adding more ram -- mind that DDR2 is more expensive than DDR3.

You still can use the card when you get a new system.

jcb94

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Good, I've looked at quite a few gameplay videos on youtube from people running similar or worse specs and it runs well for them. I also have the option of overclocking to increase performance, especially in GTA 4 which is so badly optimised.