Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from 1680x1050 worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 132 U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 10:59:40 PM

Okay, so my monitor is starting to get a little dated I've had it for a couple of years its a Acer P221w
http://www.pcworld.com/product/30504/p221w-black-22-wid...

And I'm thinking of maybe upgrading to a higher resolution display in the future I'm wondering how much better will it look. I currently have the following configuration.

Thinking 1920x1200 I don't have a pocket book for the higher resolutions passed this. I play BF3, Borderlands 2, SC2, and Batman Arkham City. I also watch a good amount of Blu-Rays with my Astro A40 headset.

Intel Core i5 2500k
Asrock Z68 EXTREME4 Gen 3
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB OC
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4)
Samsung 830 256GB SATA III SSD
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA II
LG 12x Super Multi Blue WH12LS38
CM Storm Sniper
Corsair AX850 PSU
Corsair Hydro H100
October 10, 2012 3:27:58 AM

Honestly, I myself would grab a 1080p screen in your situation and use the current screen as a second display or backup display.
I do think at 22", you'd noticed that 1080p on the same area would result in clearer sharper images than 1050p
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 3:43:05 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Okay, so my monitor is starting to get a little dated I've had it for a couple of years its a Acer P221w
http://www.pcworld.com/product/30504/p221w-black-22-wid...

And I'm thinking of maybe upgrading to a higher resolution display in the future I'm wondering how much better will it look. I currently have the following configuration.

Thinking 1920x1200 I don't have a pocket book for the higher resolutions passed this. I play BF3, Borderlands 2, SC2, and Batman Arkham City. I also watch a good amount of Blu-Rays with my Astro A40 headset.

Intel Core i5 2500k
Asrock Z68 EXTREME4 Gen 3
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB OC
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4)
Samsung 830 256GB SATA III SSD
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA II
LG 12x Super Multi Blue WH12LS38
CM Storm Sniper
Corsair AX850 PSU
Corsair Hydro H100

I wouldn't. My cousin has your resolution and I think it looks great! Don't get me wrong my 1080p LED looks better, but not much.

For instance I could get a 1440p TV now but it would only look decently better. I know 4k resolution will be attainable within 3 years and it will look FAR better. Save up for that!
Related resources
a c 132 U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 5:55:52 AM

okay yea that's what I thought so I'm not really slumming it in terms of quality of my screen then
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 6:09:48 AM

i have the same monitor, going on 5 years of use... you have the system for 1080, i want to upgrade just so i could use the 1680x1050 as a second monitor...

gaming on 1680x1050 is all i need for now... im not too picky.
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 3:23:44 PM

bigshootr8 said:
okay yea that's what I thought so I'm not really slumming it in terms of quality of my screen then

Not at all. I wouldn't like something below 900p, but 900p+ is fine...
a c 132 U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 5:07:37 PM

Thanks I see the reviews that go out and rarely does my resolution get benchmarked so I was just thinking hey maybe I need something higher. Also, I've had some weird things happen in Borderlands 2 I'll link it maybe you guys could shed light on it for me. The bottom of the screen.

I've ran furmark as well.

October 11, 2012 12:05:24 PM

I don't get it, what problems do u have with borderlands 2?
October 11, 2012 12:09:55 PM

I went from a 1680X1050 monitor 3 years old to a new 24" dell and I can honestly say that it is the best purchase I have ever made. The monitor is native 1920X1200 its also a IPS panel. Most TN panels have a yellow tint to them which you prob don't notice. If you have the money go for 1920X1200 IPS monitor!!

Edit: the extra pixels give you black bars while watching 1080p stuff. The real benefit in gaming is it helps with your UI. I play mainly MMO's so feeling like my health bar isn't on top of my person is nice.
a c 132 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 4:46:12 PM

@Greg
The burn in at the bottom of the screenshot. I have heard though its a pretty common occurrence at the moment just thought maybe it was something else perhaps. Had me a little worried since I've had my 670 for less then a month.
@ Ginger
Yea I was thinking about it at some point if there was a good 1920x1200 screen that came available its just that I'm getting the feeling by those posting on this thread that its not a big leap visually. I also hear its only when you get to the higher resolutions and size screens that they start to make a distance 27 inch+.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 9:05:05 PM

The monitor Ginger is talking about doesn't have to do entirely with his monitor being 1920x1200, but more so with an IPS panel. If you went with a resolution like this but more importantly, an IPS display, then your WOULD see a significant difference - but how much is it worth it to you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPS_panel

As for the Borderlands image, this may sound trivial, but are you certain that you aren't using a resolution like 1680x945 or that an option like full-screen isn't checked?
a c 92 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 9:25:33 PM

the difference isn't huge. Even when I moved up from a 1600x900 monitor to 1080p I didn't see much difference in quality of images. Games do render HUDs slightly better but thats about it.
a c 132 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 9:33:37 PM

No I'm running at my native resolution of 1680x1050. Also turned on vsync to try and get rid of it. Honestly I'm not the only one having the issue the game has a lot of moments where it does weird things with the screen its a bug or so I read from others a graphic glitch.

Since I don't know much about IPS how much more expensive do they run compared to a normal LED LCD display?

Well I have very expensive taste in hardware so by the time I buy a lcd I dont know probably in the 300-400 range perhaps.
a c 92 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 9:36:49 PM

IPS are expensive. about a 50% increase in cost I think.
October 11, 2012 9:41:22 PM

I get that burn thing in borderland2 as well.Gtx 670 here also.Must be a game issue.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 9:48:18 PM

If it's a bug, then it perks my interest as I haven't heard of this one yet. It seems like I am the ONLY person that doesn't have BL2 yet (Sleeping Dogs anyone??? lol), but of the dozen or so people I know playing it, none have mentioned it. Although I think ironic enough, they all run Radeon cards, all the way from a 4890 to a 7870.
esrever said:
IPS are expensive. about a 50% increase in cost I think.

Pretty close. In my experience, if someone is looking at a display that costs $250, a comparable IPS version is going to run at LEAST $350.
Be aware though that there can be some "simulated" IPS displays, I couldn't tell you what they do differently though but they are priced cheaper, but I haven't seen many (Chinese knockoffs mostly). But a true IPS panel will have a sharper image, colors a bit more vivid, and most important of all, they are hailed as the most color accurate displays. If someone does any kind of animation or design work, they will not be settling for anything less than an IPS panel. Of course like all tech, there's also "super" IPS, but this really hasn't taken off yet at all.
a c 132 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 10:16:35 PM

that makes me a little nervous I think I'll hold off for now thanks everyone.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 10:38:17 PM

bigshootr8 said:
that makes me a little nervous I think I'll hold off for now thanks everyone.

If you're picking brand name, there shouldn't be an issue. Some people think that buying a brand they've never heard of off of Ebay and it looks like an awesome deal, and it ships from Hong Kong or somewhere else in China, but this is where the problem lies. Asus, Dell, Samsung, etc. - these are the kind of names you should be looking at - they won't steer you from a true IPS by selling you something this isn't quite true. My latest luck has been with Asus monitors, the warranty they have been providing as of late (paid shipping both ways and a 3 year warranty!) has been excellent so far.
a c 132 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 10:47:36 PM

Yea thinking Asus I hate dell but they make great displays and samsung makes good displays as well.
October 12, 2012 6:23:22 AM

As for your Borderlands issue, I don't have it and neither does a friend of mine,
we're running a 6950 and 6870 respectively, so could be Nvidia drivers? or I've just not played as much as you have, either way I wouldn't mind as it's just a small issue.

As for the Monitor choice, personally I wouldn't get it,
8ms respond time is a bit too long for me, gonna end up with quite a lot of ghosting while flying jets in BF3.
a c 132 U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 3:13:17 PM

@Greg
Ah so It isn't a good display then. Yea I was just looking and picking one that had a adjustable stand because my desk would require it because i have stands to the left and right that get in the way past 22 Inches.

@Bol
I've heard about these offshore brands I would prefer to buy something here in the states. And not off ebay I would want it brand spaking new
October 12, 2012 3:17:29 PM

The ones on Ebay are brand spanking new. They just don't have the Dell or Samsung name to mark them up.

I agree with wanting something local to a certain extent, but these guy sell tons of them and a lot of the dealers on ebay are reputable.
a c 132 U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 7:45:19 PM

Bolivious said:
The ones on Ebay are brand spanking new. They just don't have the Dell or Samsung name to mark them up.

I agree with wanting something local to a certain extent, but these guy sell tons of them and a lot of the dealers on ebay are reputable.

I'd just prefer to support newegg or a retailer here in the states. Based on what others have said its best to hold off because its my belief that I'm at a good point resolution wise and maybe somewhere down the road I'll buy a nicer monitor maybe one of these IPS or PLS monitors. Moderator you can close the thread thank you for all the help.
!