IBM HD trouble

G

Gday all, im using an IBM DTLA 30gig HD with a ASUS A7V133 M/B. Just recently the HD has been making some wierd noises, its hard to describe but it kinda sounds as if the heads in the drive are scratching the magnetic plate, it makes this noise 3 times in a row, stops, then repeats. Anyway this killed my windows XP installation, so after 2 more attempts of reinstalling it, its up again. I tried running scandisk on it and it comes up with no errors (even bad sectors).Using event viewer though it says the HD as a bad block, is there any way to disbale this block, so data wont be written on it, or is there any other way to fix it?

Thanx in advance,

Mick

Skydiving: Gravity Induced Stress Relief

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
I don`t think your problem is a bad block.
Steady, now.
My Maxtor made sounds simmilar to what you describ and after a fairly short time: ERROR READING DRIVE C:
Don`t like to give bad news, but...
Is it on warranty ?

Good luck

Danny

Oh, i forgot:

When in doubt reformat, when unsure switch mobos for sure
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pike on 12/02/01 06:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You need to use the IBM Drive Utilities to verify the integrity of the drive.

<A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm" target="_new">http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm</A>

But you should be aware that the drive will probably die on you, at any time. It could take a month, six months, or go down five minutes from now. Be prepared, back up your data, and go ahead and get ready to make arrangements to RMA the drive.

Personally, I'd buy a second drive, and use the new one as the primary. Then I'd use the older drive for data that could easily be replaced until it finally bit the dust.

Or just go ahead and send it back. If you start describing the drive making noises and killing the Windows installation, it's likely that you'll get a replacement, no questions asked, especially if it is the 75GXP series. Class-action lawsuits often have that effect on a company.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

oskarfr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the same problem, I got 2 IBM disks and A7V mobo. It really sounds like the disks are resetting og something like that, there comes a click and the disk spinns up again. It only happens when I empty the recycle bin and shut down the computer. I disabled system restore, and the the sound stoped when I empty the bin, but is still present when I shutdown.

Any Ideas?

oskarfr

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LoL. Cool. I actually read through much of it.

You know, I don't think I'll ever buy an IBM drive again. I just bought one too, and after browsing the internet reading more into these high failure rates- I regret it. Perhaps it will run for >5 years, but the point now is that I'll be forever in fear until I get a new drive for my primary partition. I've never had problems w/ IBM drives, but I feel for these people because it seems like IBM is just turning their backs on their customers and THAT is unacceptable.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 02/04/02 06:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

It will die at anytime. backup your data, and get it RMA.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I also suggest running a Drive Fitness Test. Here's why:

I just had similar experiences just two weeks ago. My hard drive started doing just that, freezing Windows XP every once in awhile. So I ran DFT. It found some bad blocks, so it suggested I erase the disk. Five hours later, it barely got anywhere, and I cancelled and rebooted to try it again. This time, POST didn't detect my HD. Then, upon entering DFT, that didn't detect it either. So, I entered my serial number, and got a RMA number and TRC (Technical Result Code). It said, "0x20: Device Not Found".

After calling up IBM, they gave me an RMA number. Unfortunately, you need to pack it along their guidelines. I had to order some from a place in Oklahoma City, and a week later (today), I'm gonna receive it. I'll probably ship it tomorrow, and hope to get a replacement (60GXP?) in two weeks.

My experience was fortunate because I have been using a second data-only hard drive since October, anticipating the 75GXP crash. Sure enough, I was right. :smile:

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Website</A>-<b>reorganized</b> & updated everyday

macleod

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
Just a comment....
There has been several cases of bad IBM drives conserning the same problem you described!
But hey! One can not blame IBM for not beeing supportive.
Their homepage is loaded with all sorts of utils to use and abuse in case of even the slightest malfunction...

>>> There can be only one... <<<

jabberwhacky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My drive had the same sound, assuming I am hearing what you wrote correctly =) Luckily it resolved itself, and my drive is pretty much perfect now (only thing is it freezes scandisk at 87% every time). I always though IBM was a lot better than Maxtor, but now I'll prolly just get a nice large Maxtor and be set for a long time.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i got the smae thing with me my 75 gxp 45 gig then a mothn later is went and got the clicks of death and never workeed agian. the wrost part was taht i was going to back up the data the weekend after it died becuase i had no free time in the mont to sit down and do it

what is better then a 7000 rpm, a 8000 rpm delta. to cause more noise to kill your ears :smile:

G

Situation is worse in UK as often. March 4th I returned my 75GXP after 18 months usage due to the clicking death. It was agreed defective. Since then nothing except "its being dealt with"