Easiest way to format C: with NTFS

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I want to do a clean installation of Win XP. I am using win2k right now. My hard drive has 2 partitions and both with NTFS. I only want to format the C: partition.
The easiest way I can think of is using fdisk to delete the C partition that recreate the partition than format it when installing XP. Is there any easier way to do it?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Yeah...there's an option to do a Quick format.

Problem solved. Please check out <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin/" target="_new">My Website</A>.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know how to do it in Windows 98. I just boot my system to DOS then just use the format /q. How do you do it with NTFS since DOS does not support NTFS?

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
> <font color=green>“Is there any way that I can just format the C: without delete and receate the partition?” </font color=green>

- Yes. Just do what Mbetea suggested without deleting and re-creating the partitions: pop the XP CD in, during setup, format and install. It is the fastest way. You need just several munutes. You are kidding about DOS or Win98 formatting. WinXP (or Win2000) uses RAMdrive while formatting. It does the formatting really fast!

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
><font color=green>"...How do you do it with NTFS since DOS does not support NTFS? "</font color=green>

- Forget DOS and Win98, please, when installing an NT-based OS, unless you are planning a dual or multiple boot.

Actually there's not much reason to worry about NTFS or FAT before you installed the WinXP. You will be able to convert FAT into NTFS at any time later.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
> <font color=green>"I want to do a clean installation of Win XP. ...</font color=green>

- Any ".. option to do a Quick format" would be a strategic mistake in this situation. Sorry, normally nobody thinks about saving couple minutes by performing poor formatting when clean install. You must consider a thorough examination and preparation of your harddisk instead. :smile: