Which hard drive is better?

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Im in the market for a 30 gig hard drive and I'm having trouble deciding on which ATA/100 hard drive is faster, more reliable etc. Im looking at the Seagate Barracuda, the Western Digital Caviar, and the Diamond Max Plus. I've checked out many different reviews and i dont really see a consistency in the results that were gathered. Thanks for your input.

Do you work at UPS? 'cuz i could have sworn you were checkin out my package!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
They are all roughly equal. Their minor differences don't justify going with one over the other. I would go with the hard drive by the make you trust the most.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
why you do not go to IBM Deststar GXP60 or GXP120?
I just bought one of 60gb GXP60 but not installed it yet, but most of the users recommended me that and also checked the reviews at www.storagereview.com and found it is very good.
for the types you mentioned, i think the best one is seagate barracuda VI, and it has a good transfer rate but the seek time is slow.

good luck

wish if there was UnDo in the life

G

The Western Digital Caviar has a special edition with 8 mb cache that is the best performing of the 3, the Seagate Barracuda is the quietest of the 3, and the Maxtor is in between- almost like a hybrid.