Sign in with
Your question

What PC components can I buy used?

Last response: in Systems
December 1, 2012 8:02:51 PM

What the title says. What can I buy used and what should I spent the extra to get new?

More about : components buy

December 1, 2012 8:18:35 PM

I should clarify: I'm not asking about pieces for my build. I'm asking about the components *in general.* Are there are certain ones that are so delicate, likely to wear-down, or prone to misuse that you don't want to trust others with them? Which ones? Which components aren't like that?

If I need to be asking about specific pieces for my build then I'm in the wrong section. Where should I post this instead?
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2012 8:24:03 PM

You can ask here, I mean... I don't know how that's any different than if we suggested parts but...

Which parts are you asking for? Or just in general.
m
l
December 1, 2012 8:34:04 PM

Just in general.
m
l
December 1, 2012 8:40:09 PM

the case can be used.
m
l
December 1, 2012 8:45:54 PM

+1 to case. That's the best thing for second hand. Optical drives are probably fine. Hard disks and SSDs should be avoided.
m
l
December 2, 2012 3:28:12 AM

Thanks. What about motherboards? RAM?
m
l
December 2, 2012 3:34:29 AM

I've bought used ram, but never high end stuff for a mostly new computer.
+1 to case and optical drives.
m
l
December 2, 2012 8:10:21 AM

Yeah motherboards and RAM are actually the other things I was thinking of... RAM is probably a safe enough bet. I've had sticks die, but it's always been soon as I take them out of the pack and install, so probably manufacturing defects. I've never had a working stick stop working. Motherboard is also probably be fine I think, and I suppose CPU equally! Just be aware of course you won't have the warranty cover. Main things to avoid really are SSD and hard disk - you definitely want those new.
m
l
!