Need some info on Windows remote desktop

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
So today i learned about Windows remote desktop from a guy in one of my college class and it seems like a really interesting concept. So the big thing that i was wondering was, could my windows vista laptop connect with my windows 7 desktop. Or for that matter could a linux or mac machine do the same

Some other questions, how exactly does it work does the client computer simply display what's on my desktop and then the laptop sends back input information.

Another question how much bandwidth do you need to smoothly run it

Finally and this is just for fun, would it be possible to play my desktop games on my laptop in that case. I'm sure there would be some pretty sick latancy but just hypothically

Thanks for any response it's greatly appreciated

As long as your windows 7 is not the home version you should be able to access it from a Vista laptop or, with an appropriate client (rdesktop) from a Linux or OS X machine. You may need to open a few ports in any intervening firewalls.

Basically, yes, the client displays what's on the remote machine and sends keystrokes and mouse movements to that machine. It's really a single-user version of Terminal Services; this uses a protocol called RDP which is optimized for sending this sort of data. Many companies use Terminal Services to run programs on a central server and access them from dumb clients (or thin clients as they are properly called); normally this is for relatively undemanding applictions - word processing, spreadsheets, that sort of thing.

It works OKish on limited bandwidth; we even used to use it via a dial-up connection to manage servers at work. But it can be a bit jerky unless you have a relatively fast connection. It is ideal for remote management of servers and desktops.

Games - forget it. The latency is just too great for most games.

Edit: Have a look at this Wikipedia article for a bit more detail.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Thank you very much that was a super fast response and for pretty quickly summing up all the info i needed. I'm actually creatly in college so it would be nice to simply access all of my files and programs on my desktop on the go. Our internet is pretty good but during normal rush hours it can get pretty slow so that's nice to know it doesn't take too much bandwidth

But thank you again ijack

organum

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010

Interesting stuff indeed but what if I have Home XP?

My church needs to give people at home access to one application running on the church computer.

Is this remote business suitable for this over ADSL 8meg down?

What else will I need?

TIA

Richard