Video card for old PC

BenwayNet

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
don't laugh :pt1cable: I have an old HP a6632f
it only has a 250w power supply.

it has a onboard intel GMA 3100, I"d love to be able to find a cheap video card for it so I can run dual monitors and also help touchlight 2 run better.

I found the GIGABYTE GV-R667D3-1GI Radeon HD 6670 for only $65 but it list a 400w power supply required.

Am I SOL for finding a video that will fit my requirements with such a small power supply?

I didn't want to sink much into all this. If I can't get a video card, I'll just wait and replace the HP next year.

thanks,jb

Fortunately, Torchlight is not particularly demanding. Even a HD6450 would improve it for you. Since you're planning to rebuild anyway, I'd probably put off getting a real gaming card until then. You might get away with a HD6570, but make sure your PSU isn't a Bestec first.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
There'll probably be some decent performance HPPC's going for sale in march too... Your choice... Next time, don't go with onboard graphics, and try and find a cheap quadcore...

If I was you, I'd upgrade the inside to a AMD APU and save up some money, buy a new PSU and GPU and run hybrid crossfire.

BenwayNet

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
I haven't gamed on the PC since medal of honor spearhead LOL.
someone told me about touchlight and I missed the old dungeon crawlers and wanted dual monitors for work.
Trying to do this as cheap as possible. I'll open it up and look to see if I can see the brand of PSU.

thanks!

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Wow! Lol, Yeah, tech had deff changed since then! You should be able to get a 350w PSU for about $50 or so, I'm assuming your current PSU is top mounted... most top mounted PSUs are sold cheap.

TRENDING THREADS