Sign in with
Your question

7770 3 choices

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 10, 2012 7:14:51 PM

I'm looking for a GPU that will be used for gaming, movies, internet...

In the PC it is going to be used in are following things:
i3 3220 @ 3.3GHz
Asus P8H77-V LE
8GB of RAM...

Monitor going to be used:
21.5'' Asus VE228H LED 1920x1080

I want a 7770, but can't decide about manufacturer.

1. ASUS 1GB GDDR5 - HD7770-DC-1GD5-V2 - 1020/4600MHz
2. MSI 1GB GDDR5 - R7770-PMD1GD5 - 1000/4500MHz
3. Gigabyte 1GB GDDR5 - GV-R777OC-1GD (OCed) - 1100/5000MHz

I'm currently leaning mostly for Asus model, because of Direct CU, and least towards Gigabyte's model.
I trust Asus, I'm using X51L laptop and it is pretty reliable...
Also, it probably doesn't matter at all, but since I'm using Asus' MB and Asus' Monitor, might as well go Asus with GPU.

Anyway...
I'd like to know what you guys think... Is any of these better than other? Why?

About the prices... Different than US prices. Asus costs about 153$, Msi is 136$ and Gigabyte is 142$...

More about : 7770 choices

a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 7:34:52 PM

Is Sapphire not a viable option? If they are, then they should be in that list.

Out of those cards, I'd grab the MSI or the Asus. The Gigabyte seems to have quality control problems. The MSI is about as fast as the Asus while being considerably cheaper, so unless you want to complete your Asus setup, I'd recommend the MSI.
October 10, 2012 7:51:08 PM

They are all good brands. Go with the one you like. As for the Direct CU it's just Asus's cooling solution. Here is what MSI and Asus say about thier cooling on these cards.

MSI - 8cm PWM fan with Propeller Blade technology
- 8cm PWM fan provides better dissipation than reference.
- Propeller Blade technology offers 20% more airflow than traditional fan design.

Asus - DirectCU utilizes direct-contact GPU heatpipes for 20% cooler and significantly quieter performance than reference.

I'm sure Gigabyte has something in thier spec sheet that points to thier cooling solution being 20% better than reference. As for warranty Asus and Gigabyte have a 3 year parts and 3 year labor warranty while MSI has a 3 year parts and 2 year labor warranty.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 8:04:32 PM

I've personally built with both the MSI and Gigabyte 7770 models you mentioned, they're both fine gpus, with the gigabyte being a better option at stock settings and the MSI being a better overclocker.
When set to the same clocks I'm pretty sure the MSI and Asus cards would be comparable but the Gigabyte card will fall behind. I'd go with what's cheapest, they're very similarly excellent gpus and personally my favorite brand is MSI anyway.
October 10, 2012 8:12:28 PM

luciferano said:
Is Sapphire not a viable option? If they are, then they should be in that list.

+1 to Sapphire (unless it's not an option for some reason) I've had good luck with my two Sapphire 5770s and they've performed great.
a c 199 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 10, 2012 8:28:17 PM

I have had the best results from XFX graphics cards. I had to return 2/4 Asus graphics cards due to failure within hours or days of first use; I love their mobos, but not their graphics cards. Of the three you listed, I'd choose MSI, then Gigabyte, then Asus. I've also bought a fair number of HIS cards. Their cheaper models seem to have fan issues, but their IceQ and/or IceQ Turbo coolers work well.

Edit: I'd buy Sapphire over Asus or Gigabyte, but not over XFX or MSI.
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 8:41:24 PM

Onus said:
I have had the best results from XFX graphics cards. I had to return 2/4 Asus graphics cards due to failure within hours or days of first use; I love their mobos, but not their graphics cards. Of the three you listed, I'd choose MSI, then Gigabyte, then Asus. I've also bought a fair number of HIS cards. Their cheaper models seem to have fan issues, but their IceQ and/or IceQ Turbo coolers work well.

Edit: I'd buy Sapphire over Asus or Gigabyte, but not over XFX or MSI.

XFX is very inconsistent. Some of their cards is excellent, but some of them are garbage. For example, one of the best 7950s is an XFX card, yet one of the worst 7950s is also an XFX card.
October 10, 2012 9:06:38 PM

gigabyte and the msi is good choices.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 9:18:16 PM

Kajcha said:
Well, there are 2 Sapphire models in the store, but for some reason, they are both with 24 months garanty, while the rest are 36.
Also they are at least 5-10$ more.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

and

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

For some reason, the OC is cheaper than the other 1, but they are both GHz edition.

So between these 2 and the first 3, which one would you choose?

I'd choose the Sapphire OC because it is considerably faster than all of the other 7770s here and it it also has good build quality AFAIK. Otherwise, I'd recommend the MSI.
October 14, 2012 3:50:06 PM

I just saw Vapor X in store.
So is it any better than the GHz OCed 7770?
I've read some reviews, and it's a fairly nice and cool card, and Vapor X is more often used on higher end GPUs, so this should be a bit better than rest of the 7750-7770s.

It's 5-10$ more than GHz OCed 7770....
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 10:16:05 PM

It's better cooled, but it is slightly slower. However, its better cooler might allow it to be overclocked further manually than the Sapphire OC model.
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 10:35:35 PM

I would encourage just buying a good brand of 7770 like MSI or Sapphire on the cheaper end and changing voltages/overclocking to bring it way beyond the power of even a vapor-x card. If you aren't overclocking the more well-designed cooling solutions aren't necessary and you can buy the cheaper cards. If you want a powerful card you'd be buying something a lot more than the 7770 anyway.
October 15, 2012 9:00:14 AM

Well I do intend to OC to pull as much as possible from it, so I could play games with higher settings...
Anyway, I do want a powerful GPU, but right now, I haven't got 250$ for a 7850.
Also the store hasn't got stuff between 170$ and 250$...

Oh and BTW, I'm waiting for Haswell, so I'll just pick a pentium G850 with ASRock B75 PRO3 m .
I'll be upgrading CPU, MB and RAM (to DDR4), when Haswell comes out...
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 9:34:48 AM

Smart move, I've built two g860 based computers with 7770 graphics and they ran quite admirably. I too am holding back on upgrades until the haswell chips and nvidia 770/ radeon 8950 emerge.
!