Predilect

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
I am using a MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490) which has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 Displayport. I'm attempting to connect a VGA monitor with a DVI to VGA adapter, another LCD using a Displayport to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to HDMI cable, and finally a HDTV with an HDMI cable. Phew, okay.

The problem I'm having is CCC as well as the Windows display settings will not let me extend across all 3 monitors simultaneously. I'm not using Eyefinity, I simply want to be able to extend the desktop. I'm able to use 2 monitors at one time in any combination but upon attempting to enable the third CCC spits out the error: "To extend the desktop, a desktop or display must be disabled.". In the case of standard windows options I get the error: "Cannot save display settings".

I've searched for an answer but the circumstances for other people getting this error do seem slightly different and no real solutions have been provided. What do?

Edit: My primary monitor is the LCD connected using the displayport nonsense.

Solution

It is a timing issue and you must use 3 digital connections to use 3 displays. Just the way it was designed. Sorry.

Using the DVI to VGA adapter with the DVI-I port makes it an analog connection. DVI-I supports both DVI (digital) and VGA (analog) devices.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

You could try setting them all to 720p just to see if it works. It might at least tell us a possible cause of your problem.

Predilect

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Same error :/ Also, in order for me to check that all 3 were at the same resolution I have to disable one and enable the other. At all times there is 1 monitor disabled. Just some food for thought.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

It is a timing issue and you must use 3 digital connections to use 3 displays. Just the way it was designed. Sorry.

Using the DVI to VGA adapter with the DVI-I port makes it an analog connection. DVI-I supports both DVI (digital) and VGA (analog) devices.

Solution