PNY Geforce GTX 550Ti - Can't seem to get it to idle below 50'c :/

wobbledog

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hey guys I'm a bit of a newbie here so I apologies in advance for any inaccuracies in my following post:

I've just set up my first budget rig, it being Sandybridge-based and running a PNY Geforce GTX 550 Ti.

Since installing my four case fans I've had no problem with cooling my card and it has been idling at around 27'c. The only problem being with these I have been forced to wire them through the PSU and this means they were running at 100% all the time, which in my opinion was a bit overkill - not to mention being excessively loud and (I imagine) power hungry.

However, I've also recently purchased one of these cheap 4-pin fan controllers in order to regulate the four case fans and I've now found, even with all fans at full power, my GPU will idle at around 50'c. I'm not sure why this is.

Would anyone be able to help? Does wiring the fans through the controller mean they will not receive as much power on 100%? Is there any way to increase the power routed to the fan controller?

Thanks in advance,

--wobbledog

:)

wobbledog

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

yeah that's what I thought at first, the actual fan controller has two molex connectors on it: one male, and one female. I'm currently using the female connector on it to receive power from the PSU, is there any way I can further utilize power from the male connector?

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
They should have different 'speeds'. I had them come with one of my case fans, different molex connectors, 12v full speed, 7.5V medium, and 5v slow.

Can you link us the controller you purchased? It it is a molex connector then it will be at a fixed speed. Also 50C seems high for idle.

If you go back to the original config, not with this controller, will your temps drop back to 27C?

wobbledog

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

Hi, here is the link to the controller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180723933951?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3679wt_1163

If I do disconnect the controller and re-route the fans through the PSU, then yeah I reckon it would drop to 27'c. Not sure but I think around 45'c were the temps I was getting when I first built my system, without any case fans.

Thanks

wobbledog

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
]UPDATE[

I currently run two 24" HDMI monitors and I figured that running dual monitors would have a temperature effect on my card:

Test 1, Two monitors connected - one through the mini-HDMI port and one through a DVI:

-- Idle: 49-52'c
-- 70-80% Load: 75-79'c

Test 2, One monitor connected - through the mini-HDMI port:

-- Idle: 30-31'c
-- 70-80% Load: 56-62'c

From my results I think I've figured out why it was idling at such high temps - after all it's only a small card, two huge 720p monitors may be a little too much for it...

Thanks for all your help anyway, I appreciate it:)) :kaola:

mace200200

Honorable
Some lower end cards idle high when they're more than one monitor running from it. I know that the AMD 4000's had this problem so I wouldn't be suprised if your 550 Ti was like this as well.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

Glad you worked it out.