TV Tuner recommendation?

Dantax

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I'm looking for a TV Tuner card. I'll list a few features I need, if any of you have any recommendations, i would really appreciate it.

Display full screen at high resolutions. I know the picture will still be much lower, I simply want it to fill the screen without changing the resolution.

Able to watch in a window.

Has input, either RCA or cable.

Able to record video at high resolution and high frame rate. The format won't really matter as long as I can convert it.

Possibly stereo sound.

Must support Win9x and 2000, Linux support would be nice as well but isn't required.

I'm looking to spend $100 or less, so let me know if you have any recommendations.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The ATI TV Wonder is a great card, although it's in need for a more stable driver for Windows XP. It's fine on all the other OSs.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
<font color=green>
YES I AGREE WITH YOU ATI ALL-IN-WONDER AND AT PRICEWATCH YOU CAN GET IT FOR UNDER 150 THOUGH HE WANTS IT FOR 100

All in Wonder 128 32MB SDRAM, AGP, RAGE 128 GL 128bit (OEM) TV-tuner w/ digital VCR,true color(32-bit),video output to TV/VCR,hardware DVD video playback $ 106 10+ 10/17/2001 10:08:00 PM CT USSA.COM
510-623-3700
CA 102163 <font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com/</A>

Dantax

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Just looking for a TV card, not a video card. I've done some checking though, and the ATI TV-Wonder looks great. I just need to find out some more specs, I've already emailed ATI asking.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I use the Tv Wonder and love it when its used under win 98/me/2k but don't think about using it under xp especially with a nvidia card.
According to ATI, the problem lies with nvidia's drivers under XP, sure.

Simply put, ATI drivers suck. If I was to buy again I would get a good Hauppauge card, they come with remotes to BTW.
I think I picked up my Tv Wonder, which on paper looks like the best deal out of all cards because for $60 or so you get stereo sound, channel preview (brings up all channels at once!), tv desktop wallpaper (cool feature), TV in your webbrowser, composite in, S-video in (you have to pay alot more than 60 to get this in a hauppauge card).

I like it but only under anything but XP, they say it works fairly well under XP (besides the occasions where it just shuts itself off and whatever else crazy that always happens...) with a ATI at least you don't have to right click on the desktop to get the image to not be all skewed..
With DScaler the card works perfect under XP though, thats what I'm using.
I'm thinking of moving back to Windows 2000 anyway for the next 6 months anyway so I'm goign to keep it.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I use the Tv Wonder and love it when its used under win 98/me/2k but don't think about using it under xp especially with a nvidia card.
According to ATI, the problem lies with nvidia's drivers under XP, sure.
It does!! Nvidia fixed the problem with the latest drivers!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Oh well I apologize ATI. Kindof.

Thanks for letting me know I do miss their MMC.

I guess I'll give their software another spin.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I have the newest drivers (23.11) and it doesnt fix it for me! I'm running xp with mmc 7.1

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Go into the Advanced menu and then Overlay and enable the TV Tuner fix.

Dantax

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Can any of you tell me a few things about the ATI TV-Wonder?

What is the max resolution for screen capture(screenshot)?

What is the max resolution and frame rate for video recording?

Can you watch full screen at higher resolutions? I know it won't actually display that many pixels from the broadcast, I just want it to fill the screen without resizing.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I think screen capture is 640x480 or native TV resolution. I know it def. isn't higher than 640x480.

I have recorded some simpsons on it and I want to say its native tv resolution and records at 29.7 or 30fps.

Yes you can watch TV fullscreen at any resolution, it simply stretches the image to fit your monitor, it doesn't affect the image quality no matter what resolution your running and it doesnt get better or worse running different resolutions (640x480 opposed to 1024x768 which I run).
No resizing is needed. I use Dscaler simply because its supposed to offer higher image quality than the ATI software because it deinterlaces, but I think the ATI software would have to do the same thing...

I really don't know that much about specifics besides it works great for me and I havent seen anything outstanding that bothers me as far as capturing screens or video. It records in MPEG2 I think but i convert it to MPEG4.1 anyway.

The hauppauge I am told automatically record in divx format but I have never used a hauppauge.

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
I tried the TV-Wonder when it first came out, but it didn't like being paired up with my TNT video board. I have a Radeon all in wonder. TV works great. Video recording needs a decent CPU. 400mhz didn't cut it at all, 750mhz does, but barely. I also use a scsi-2 drive to record on. Honestly, though, nothing beats a second TV set up next to my monitor. The new Radeon 8500 has dual monitor outputs, and if the all in wonder version does too, and if it would let you run tv on second monitor, that would be cool (but admittedly pricey).

G

Well, i sure as hell can't recommend the ATI tv wonder(pci)card. I've tried everything and still can't get it to work. I've even changed my drivers for my video card(as recommended here) and still no go. Every time i click on my TV, i get a blue screen and no capture whatsoever!! I'm running a 1 Ghz pentium 3 with 256 ram and a gforce2 mx\mx 400 and nothing seems to fix it. If you have any problems, forget about ati tech support, so far i wouldn't recommend buying a capture card off of ATI if you are using windows XP. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

G

Hey, for the tv wonder, i don't see anything called overlay or tv tuner fix in the advanced menu, what the hell am i doing wrong here?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I'm searching for the answer to that question. I PM'd AMD Man about it. I also can't find it in the options anywhere and I am using 23.11s.

Read my post on the new ATI MMC 7.5 and my post in cinimods post both in this section.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
hmm, I don't understand why it isn't working. I'm going to try MMC7.5 too though. It looks wicked in the screenshots I saw onine.

G

I just triewd the 7.5 version and the picture quality was seriously degraded from the 7.1.

Epox 8kha+;AMD Athlon 1.8XP; ATI 8500 Radeon; Sound Blaster Audigy MP3.

G

i'm looking for the same thing. hopefully ATI will soon release a new version of the TV Wonder with the lovely RF remote, more options, and STABLE driver and MMC.
then i'll be getting one, otherwise, it's still iffy.

if you use quality parts, you will have quality results