Sign in with
Your question

Advice on Upgrading with Three Monitors

December 1, 2012 11:49:17 PM

Hey Guys,

This is my first post on here. Bare with me as I'm a bit of a noob..Around 2 weeks ago my motherboard gave up on me and I'm considering upgrading my entire system as it's a bit outdated now.

Right now (IIRC):

Q6600
8800 GTS
A VERY old Radeon graphics card
MSI PSN motherboard (unsure the exact model, all i know is it has 2x PCI-e slots)
450W Corsair PSU
4GB RAM

My dilemma..

So I used to game a lot when I was younger, those days have kinda died down now and I mainly use my PC for design work. The main applications I use are Adobe Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

I run 3 monitors with my system. the 8800 GTS powers my 2 main monitors and the crappy graphics card powers my third additional monitor and I also use it to hook up to my TV when streaming movies.

So, basically, I need to be able to run my 3 monitors, but still be able to use the HDMI cable to stream movies.

Here's what I was considering purchasing:

an i5 or i7 processor.
A modern motherboard with 2x PCI-e slots
8GB DDR3 Ram
Nvidia G210 (Low Profile) card to power my additional monitor and stream movies.(replace the old Radeon).
Keep the 8800GTS 512?

I'm trying to keep the budget down as low as possible. I've not had any problems with my 8800 GTS in the past and believe it would be sufficient for the time being?

Can anyone give me some advise on running the 3 monitors, anything I'm missing? Specific parts? I'm really just looking for tips on performance, but still able to keep my current setup.

Hope you guys can help,

Stu :) 
!