Nvidia Drivers Fail

insane21m

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Hi!

I'm updating my drivers for my GTX 460 and I get a failed screen here:

nurlb.png

Now I know that the problem is not the specific driver because It happened last time with the previous driver but I guess I forgot to make a thread at the time :p

Things I found from Google that did not work:
Tried doing a clean install.
Tried running the setup.exe directly.
Tried running in administrator.
Tried renaming the folder from NVIDIA to NVIDIA Corporation.

Thanks in advance! :D

insane21m

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Okay I did that and now I can't even get up to my native resolution and I can't detect my second monitor:

O5vjY.png

So that didn't work..

insane21m

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

If this is a serious question my serious answer is yes.

You might be surprised to know that there are folk who have no idea what that means, go to that folder and delete any and all Nv.dll files that you find then reboot and try installing the driver again.

insane21m

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

Woot.
That seemed to do the trick.

Only thing is though after I restarted my computer to complete the instlatton I got a CMD window popup after I logged in but before I saw my taskbar that said something like "C:/Nvidia*: [Y/N]" and I just did Y enter then everything else seemed normal.

I'm glad it worked for you, I've never liked nor trusted those driver sweeper programs myself and deleting the .dll files has usually always worked for me unless its a Windows issue that is preventing the driver from installing.

thanks for the tip mouse. i'm looking for this as well. what do you think about nvidia own clean install option?

gossip555

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Do you mean EVERYTHING that starts with nv and ends with dll?

You're welcome and that option has been working OK for me so far so I have no complaints.

Yes pretty much, if you are not sure about a file then check its properties to make sure its an Nvidia file.

gossip555

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
One more thing, just to make sure and absolutely sure, I searched nv.dll in my system 32 folder. Delete ALL of those? Or only the nv prefix files in system 32 folder itself, and not the other folders? Finally, I have never messed around with system 32 files before, how do you get permissions to delete something in there?