Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 stuck on WELCOME SCREEN!! HELP :(

Last response: in Windows 7
February 25, 2012 6:22:24 AM

So I go on Windows, and I get to the welcome screen, after I enter my password, the spinney loader thingy just goes forever. I have to manually shut down and start back up multiple times before I can successfully logon again. After I finally got on, I saved the even log into a file, this includes all events since i turned it on and it got stuck. This occurance of the stuck welcome screen happens every once in a while please help me! Here is my events log (sorry no minidump or anything like that):

http://www.mediafire.com/?pe1d8b72pg90v06

THANKS SO MUCH! Souring the web was no help, yet another problem that Windows users have, that can seemingly only be helped with a restore or re install with no actual knowledge of the problem.

More about : windows stuck screen

a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2012 11:31:37 AM

It might be helpful to list the hardware...
Well the thing is that sometimes running updates can scramble the batch files or drivers. And that causes problems when starting up, and a simple way to fix that is to
put the win 7 disk in the drive and select "upgrade." Which, reloads the default operating system files, but does not erase your programs or personal files.
And then other times, people load "free" security programs from the internet, and they load multiple security programs, like "sweepers" "cleaners" etc...which can also cause a lot of problems. (AVOID THIS)
And last, there may just be a hardware problem, so what is the hardware?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2012 12:19:42 PM

Without knowing what kind of mystery hardware were talking about here, can't really help.

Could be something as simple as incorrect dimm voltage.

Have you tried booting to your Windows disk and choosing repair?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2012 12:40:42 PM

Don't tell me, let me guess....Asus board?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2012 12:56:42 PM

You really don't need to guess.....you COULD read his member config...
m
l
February 25, 2012 1:55:17 PM

Yeah sorry guys, here it is:
AMD athlon x3 3.0ghz
ASUS M4a88td -v evo /USB3
WD 500gb blue (I just got it, and I know it works)
sapphire HD4800 1gb Vapor X
500 w PSU
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2012 2:14:11 PM

Check your dimm voltage in bios and make sure it's set to what the sticker on the dimm says.

If that's ok try to do a repair by booting to your windows disc. (set dvd drive as 1st boot device first)
m
l
February 25, 2012 5:11:03 PM

Thanks geek, will do! Could itt be something with ccleaner, I used it recently?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2012 1:27:55 PM

You may have deleted something Windows needs, that's why I suggest a repair.
m
l
February 27, 2012 1:35:42 AM

it's set to what the sticker on the dimm says.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 27, 2012 2:04:57 PM

cllaer said:
it's set to what the sticker on the dimm says.

How do yo know, and who is "The Prophecy"? So Jeteroll, Cllaer, and The Prophecy are all the same person?
m
l
March 4, 2012 5:36:25 PM

I'm also having the same issue. It sometimes happens when I do a cold boot(I take it that it means hitting the power button when it is completely off). When i hold down power button to turn it off completely when it gets stuck, if I restart it boots into Windows fine. A part of me wonders if it has to do with the temperature of the room, but I use an SSD not a HDD.

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100
ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
IN WIN Dragon Slayer Black 0.6mm SECC MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
G Skill Ripjaws Series 1600mhz 2x4GB RAM
Antec Green Earthwatts 380
m
l
March 15, 2012 6:34:44 PM

geekapproved said:
How do yo know, and who is "The Prophecy"? So Jeteroll, Cllaer, and The Prophecy are all the same person?

no I dont even know those guys or what theey were talking about.
:p 
m
l
March 15, 2012 6:35:41 PM

Best answer selected by Jeteroll.
m
l
October 25, 2012 12:13:38 PM

I recently had the same issue and it was caused by the free version of Avast Antivirus. I disabled it by logging into Windows Safe Mode and that solved the issue. The following article explains how to diagnose the problem, find what causes it and fix it:

Windows 7 Stuck On Welcome Screen
m
l
March 21, 2013 6:38:00 AM

my pc stuck
m
l
March 21, 2013 6:38:51 AM

my pc stuck
m
l
August 12, 2013 12:31:34 AM

pnv said:
I recently had the same issue and it was caused by the free version of Avast Antivirus. I disabled it by logging into Windows Safe Mode and that solved the issue. The following article explains how to diagnose the problem, find what causes it and fix it:

Windows 7 Stuck On Welcome Screen

yeah i disabled avast and i was able to pass welcome screen thanks! :) 
m
l
October 2, 2013 9:16:59 PM

I just fixed this problem on my laptop (at least for one boot) so I'm going to try to be brief (not something I do) and provide my best response.
Starting from what I know, and then working from there.

* My computer hangs, and when I pull the plug and battery and boot again it boots fine. Then without changing anything I do it again and it fails.
* Computers when they boot do exactly the same thing every time, unless something changes in the configuration. If the bits are obeying and following their orders without any change, there has to be some other variable that causes it to hang. To me this screams the timing of those events firing, which furthermore suggests a race condition.
* A documented issue for Windows 7 talks about how a race condition relating to Windows Events prevents the profile from loading http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2578159
* We know the problem can be fixed in Safe mode, and can be fixed by loading a new profile, so it is related specifically to the user and to that user's profile.
* When I fixed it on my computer, the only things I changed was to delete all the events from event viewer, and rip out some putty configurations from my HKEY_CURRENT_USER key.
* Back in the Windows Vista/NT Days, there was a file ntuser.dat that was actually your HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry written to a file. You could fix a number of problems by logging in as a different user, deleting the file, and causing it to be regenerated. I don't know if that is the case here, and I don't know if it would cause damage to delete the file if it is the case, so DON'T TRY IT. I'm only saying that you could resolve a host of issues for a user by deleting their user profile and starting fresh.

* A number of posts also show that the issue resolves when they disable networking. Curious.
* There is an HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key that holds network interface descriptions

Those last two may not be relevant for everybody, but i think they are for me.

So on to what I don't know: I seem to be having an issue with my registry holding on to a thousand keys describing different network interfaces, almost as if every time I boot up it creates a new adapter.
I work with Cisco VPN Client (Which makes virtual Adapters all of the time) and have a slew of McAfee software applications on my machine. These two products have quite a bit of interplay and I've been able to fix a number of issues by either running the Cisco VPN Client install again, which writes cleanly the registry keys, running McAfee HIPS ripper which unlocks some software that is holding tight to adapters, keys, and libraries, or running a Microsoft application called ifcleanup.x86.exe. Again, this may not at all be relevant, but you're noticing a pattern here that my machine's registry is getting tweaked all of the time.

So here is what I did:

Considering my day, I knew I only really made one change to my system besides opening some word docs and browsing to web-based management interfaces that I needed: And the change I made was to add a bunch of putty sessions to my saved list. I happened to remember as I read some of the solutions to this problem online that the putty settings are kept in the user profile.

To verify I could fix the problem I loaded safe mode, added an administrative user, rebooted and logged in as that person. That eliminated a bunch of things. It is not hardware, it is not drivers, it is not software installed on the machine per se, it is not directly associated with network connectivity, it is not a virus affecting anything system-wide. It is related to me, my profile.

So I tried the putty registry key thing. I don't think that worked directly, because I logged off, and logged back in and it still failed, but i can't help but wonder still if that caused the problem to begin with, and something else had to be done to fix it. But the putty thing was probably a red herring.

The microsoft hot fix explanation http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2578159 rang true with me because I had already decided it was a race condition and it made sense that what could have changed since I logged off was new events in the event log. Also it could be growing from the long time i've had my computer. So i went and cleaned out the logs. By the way, when my machine booted up repeatedly there were 5 entries in my Application log that I saved off:

The User Profile Service has started successfully.

The EventSystem sub system is suppressing duplicate event log entries for a duration of 86400 seconds. The suppression timeout can be controlled by a REG_DWORD value named SuppressDuplicateDuration under the following registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\EventSystem\EventLog.

The winlogon notification subscriber <SessionEnv> was unavailable to handle a notification event.

Windows license validated.

The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because the desktop composition setting is disabled

Yup. That basically tells the whole story there. And there were no more events after that, just a pattern of all the times i tried to boot with the same messages over and over again. You just have to know the rest of the story for the events to make sense. I interviewed for a Job with Dell support once and they asked a different question about a dozen times, and the correct answer was always a long and involved troubleshooting story that is supposed to start with "I check the event logs." Trust the event logs people.

So If I'm right, the problem is Immediate after booting, related to the user profiles, existed in the registry and has to do with the event log.

I would suggest that the Microsoft Hot fix is the right answer if you didn't want to fix it manually.

"This issue occurs because of a race condition between the Windows Event Log service and the Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) tracing functions. When the race condition occurs, it causes a deadlock situation. This deadlock situation then causes the Winlogon.exe process to become unresponsive."

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2578159

I'm going to try it. if i'm not back, that means my machine is dead
m
l
June 12, 2014 5:08:21 PM

phydroxide, I know that you said "if i'm not back, that means my machine is dead," so the fix may not have worked for you, but I've been searching for a solution to this problem for MONTHS, and thanks to you, I have a resolution with KB 2578159! Thank you!!

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2578159 "The logon process stops responding in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7"

I enabled verbose startup messages, as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325376 and here are some of the messages it would spin its wheel at:

• Please wait...
  • Applying computer settings...
  • Please wait for the User Profile Service...
  • Applying Group Policy Registry Policy...
  • Applying Group Policy Printers Policy...
  • Applying Group Policy Local Users and Groups Policy...

• In the case of my problem, there was *never* any progression over the course of hours, even days. It wasn't just a matter of patience. Computers affected in-the-moment would not reply over the network (no ping response) and unplugging the network cable did not change the situation while it was happening.

This problem has occurred randomly on Windows 7 machines at a high school -- members of a Windows Server 2012 domain (functional level 2008 R2), running avast! antivirus for education. I mention the antivirus because on a test set of computers, I removed avast and the problem went away: specifically, 100 consecutive reboots were successful on 4 different machines, as compared to the usual 1 in 16 or so reboots resulting in a "spinning wheel." Running without antivirus didn't seem practical, so I kept looking and found your post referencing KB 2578159. To my amazement, this finally solved this stubborn problem, without needing to go without AV. (Specifically, 80 consecutive reboots were successful on 4 different machines. I didn't feel the need to test beyond that.)

Here's a list of the things I tried that didn't work, but may work for (or help) others:

• Just in case there's a pattern to the people experiencing this issue, another stubborn issue I was having was the inability to use RPC commands like WMIC to speak with Windows 7 machines remotely. The response was "The RPC server is unavailable," and Wireshark showed that the Kerberos ticket was modified. For me, a solution to that problem was found in the hotfix here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2566059

phydroxide said:

* A documented issue for Windows 7 talks about how a race condition relating to Windows Events prevents the profile from loading http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2578159
    [...]
    I'm going to try it. if i'm not back, that means my machine is dead
    m
    l
    !