Laptop External Graphics

jules92

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Hello everyone, I'm new around here and with what I'm talking about so looking for some advice.

I have a fairly nice laptop:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-P755-S5120-Laptop-LED-backlit-widescreen/dp/B0075FRIYE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_6

2nd Gen i7 Processor with 2.2 ghz, 8gb RAM, and the god-awful Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics.

I'm a pretty hardcore gamer and am mostly satisfied so far but I'm looking at ways to get the computer to run off of a graphics card. How would I run an external card for example? My ports are: 3 USB 2.0, 1 USB 3.0, 1 HDMI, 1 VGA, and a thin rectangular-ish one I can't identify below the touchpad to the right (You can see it on the Amazon picture).

If I were to use an external PSU, where would I plug it in on the laptop? How can I determine the wattage I can handle?

I'm REALLY new to this, a detailed reply would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Common egpu connections are thunderbolt, expresscard or mpcie. You don't have tb, ec and your mpcie is under your keyboard so would not recommend an egpu for your laptop. The 540m is not a modular gpu, it is soldered to the mobo as are any other discrete gpu option on the p755.

twelve25

Distinguished
Those external video devices don't really accelerate the video like a desktop graphics card would. They are really just to get extra monitor ports. You won't be able to game with them.

Your only option would be if Toshiba offers a modular video card that you could install in to the laptop. They do have p755 models with a GT540M, so there is a small chance that might be available.

Common egpu connections are thunderbolt, expresscard or mpcie. You don't have tb, ec and your mpcie is under your keyboard so would not recommend an egpu for your laptop. The 540m is not a modular gpu, it is soldered to the mobo as are any other discrete gpu option on the p755.

Solution