Sign in with
Your question

GTX460 aftermarket cooler?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 191 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 2:26:07 AM

Hey community,

So I am thinking of getting an aftermarket cooler for my Sparkle GTX460. It uses the reference board, so any cooler that says it would fit a 460 should fit a 460. I'm thinking something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't mind if its 3 slots. Just can't be more than 3. Preferable less, because if it is exactly 3, airflow may be restricted due to my GTS250 working as a Physx card, which I intend on keeping. I haven't gotten to trying CPU Physx, but as I have just overclocked to 4.4GHz on my 2500K, I might give it a shot.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, but this cooler would match the fans that are in my case.

Thanks,
-Gunner.

EDIT: The cooler cannot be over 9" or a little more in length
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 2:38:41 AM

As far as I'm concerned, that's money that can go towards a new GPU!
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 2:46:31 AM

Well, I didn't have a plan to get rid of the card anytime soon, and I was just overclocking it today. The overclocking went well, but I'm trying to go for a more silent computer.

There's a good chance I will also get another for SLI from my cousin.
m
l
Related resources
a c 191 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 3:00:35 AM

Dude, I love that page now. Best thing ever.

I've also figured out that my 460 is performing a bit slower compared to everyone else's. Going to have to overclock a bit more.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 4:09:35 AM

I just got mine to run at 900 stable, which I am happy about. I'm going to leave it there for a bit at least. I don't know how those people get much higher scores than that with similar systems in terms of the 460 fan club, but oh well.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 11:37:09 AM

The cooler will work but you will run into the same problem that I had with my gigabyte 460. There will be some back pressure behind the cooler and some of the exhaust will loop back into the fans so having a fan near by is important. Beyond that you already figured everything out.
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 7:39:28 PM

My setup is similar to this except I have my H60, and the GTX460 resides in the top slot in the back of the case. There is a fan there blowing air into the card.

I think I'll order the card when I RMA my new board and get a refund. Thanks guys!
m
l
!