Sign in with
Your question

Homebuilt Computer freezes up, stays on, no bsod

Last response: in Systems
December 2, 2012 7:01:59 AM

Hello everybody first post here. I tried searching around and I haven't had much luck finding information on it. So here goes.

For the past 5ish months my PC has been freezing up seemingly randomly. The screens image freezes. I can't click can't type, no hotkeys. The fans all remain running. I receive no blue screen of death. And when I reboot there is no new events in the event log. These crashes seem to come up more when I'm doing system intensive stuff but it also happens when web browsing it has even happened while flipping through motherboard settings. Overheating seems unlikely as I was watching my CPU heat when in motherboard settings for one of the crash and it was in the 35-40*C range. A couple times the crash was followed by some corruption of the windows install.

Here is my specs:

intel i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz quad core
Hypter 212 plus cpu fan (I recently switched from stock because I thought it was the issue, no changes D=)
Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: 2x4 gb Corsaire Vengeance 1600
PSU: Corsair TX 650 Enthusiast
Motherboard: Gigabyte GAZ68MX-UD2H B3
HDD: 1 64 gb SSD and 1 TB Samsung (don't know the details but it's pretty normal) - I've installed both as primary and alternated having only one plugged in.

So Far I have:

1. Reinstalled various windows 7/8, lots of failed installations, but when it works it seems to work for awhile.
2. Removed everything but 1 stick of ram, CPU, motherboard, mouse, keyboard, and PSU. (using on board graphics).
3. As mentioned earlier upgraded the CPU fan, changed thermal paste, etc.
4. Reseated all the hardware.

I don't know if it's just happenstance but when I leave it off for long periods of time following a crash it seems to work for longer till the next crash. Sometimes following a crash it will be virtually unusable because it will crash again within a few minutes of each reboot.

I would love if anybody could give me some help?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 2, 2012 8:45:20 AM

make sure your mb has the newest bios before they switch over to a efi bios. it could be that the mb and ram not working well. (timing issue). also make sure the ssd firmware is the newest. if it still hangs i would see if a friend had a stick of ram on the mb ram guild to see if it the ram or a mb issue. right now i would take one stick out and see if the system is fine if not switch ram stick to see if one stick is bad.
m
l
December 2, 2012 5:25:59 PM

I've tried using only one stick of RAM at a time already (both of my sticks crashed at some point). SSD Firmware wouldn't impact as I currently don't even have it plugged in. However I will give that MB BIOS update a try as soon as I can get my pc to turn on without crashes.

Also one more thing that I have done that I didn't mention earlier was thoroughly inspect my mobo for blown transistors and black gunk.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 2, 2012 6:55:43 PM

dont update your bios in windows.down load the bios file from another pc and put it on a usb stick and flash the mb using the bios flash program built into the bios.
m
l
December 2, 2012 7:15:30 PM

OK. I'm trying to do that however the Q-flash procedure seems to be hanging as soon as I select the HDD that the BIOS is on.

Also just confirming but I should be using the U1C bios right? http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
I'm currently on F4 if that makes any difference.

EDIT: got past the HDD select screen only to find a screen that just says .. and 0 files found.
m
l
December 2, 2012 7:47:49 PM

OK. I got the BIOS updated to F13 (U1C kept giving me errors in the Q-flash menu). I'm still having the same crashes. Could something else be wrong with my motherboard or is it something else at this point?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 2, 2012 9:05:58 PM

try bare boning the pc. take the video card out and try with just the onboard video. on the install did your mb come with the mvp drivers to link the onboard and gpu together. if you did they are very buggie. i would boot into safe mode and remove them.
on the mb make sure the newest intel chipset drivers. mei drivers and intel speed step drivers for the ssd are installed. check that the sata ports are set to achi mode.
m
l
December 2, 2012 9:51:00 PM

I've already tried bareboning the PC. Sata is set to AHCI.

I don't know if the drivers will help because as I understand aren't those primarily for within the OS? My PC crashes on the BIOS screen sometimes, I also just tried running memtest86+ from a usb and that crashed in the same fashion(I don't think drivers are relevant there either).

Could it be an issue with my power supply? I don't think it's the RAM, I tested with each stick individually (but I don't really have another computer or replacements, so I can't be absolutely sure). I'm pretty sure it's not the HDD as it has crashed in the BIOS screen while both were disconnected. I'm pretty sure it's not the graphics card as it has crashed while it was disconnected while using onboard graphics.

So that just leaves the power supply, CPU, and motherboard. As I understand broken CPUs are relatively uncommon (and from what I hear have entirely different crashes). So I'm just left with the Power supply or motherboard.

I don't have a replacement power supply but as I understand we have tested the motherboard as far as possible at this point.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 2, 2012 11:25:42 PM

yeah i think its your mobo i just helped someone with this same kind of thing on another thread, he replaced the mobo and everything is working great... rma your mobo or get a cheap one off of ebay or kraigs list just to narrow it down
m
l
December 3, 2012 12:15:01 AM

So is the chance of this being related to the power supply low because everything remains on post crash? I would just like to have a general idea before I go about taking action in regards to the motherboard.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 3, 2012 11:10:00 PM

try this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4
if it turns out ok then yeah just go ahead and get your mobo RMA'd(dont forget to check if you still have coverage on it, normally with the manufacorer you will get about 2-3 years) though it could also be the cpu :/  i hate this part, im leaning more toward the mobo though... oh also dont forget to run memtest if you can
http://www.memtest.org/
just to make sure that its not ram

hope this helps :D 
m
l
December 4, 2012 1:12:59 AM

No real reason to try that as it just checks whether or not your psu turns on. Which I already know.

I will probably RMA as I got it a year ago and it has a 3 year warranty. I ran the windows memory diagnostic but I'm also going to give that one a go.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 4, 2012 1:32:23 AM

OK, so what then you can get into windows? because i think you may actually have a mobo problem... i say just rma both spu and mobo
m
l
December 4, 2012 1:43:38 AM

The crashes happened everywhere. Sometimes they were recurring in quick succession and it would crash before it got past the bios splash, other times it would make it to the login screen. Other times I'd be using it an hour before a crash. Sometimes it's gone for weeks (it did start happening 6ish months ago).

It seems to work more consistently since I got my Mobo BIOS up to the most recent version. It also seems to help when I reseat cables following a crash (which seems pretty strange to me).

It's successfully running memtest86+ now (which it couldn't do for more then 5 seconds without crashing a couple days ago) so I'm thinking things might continue to work out for awhile. However I might RMA it anyways just to make sure everything is good.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 4, 2012 1:53:18 AM

yeah, get your ram and motherboard replaced(RMA'd) keep me posted on how your situation progresses
m
l
January 7, 2013 3:36:38 PM

I've built approx. 20 machines for the company I work for, using the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 motherboard and the Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM (we use 16 or 32GB Kits) and we are seeing the EXACT same problem on a number of those machines.
The OS doesn't matter we typically re-image our machines fairly often, that's not really an issue. The freezing happens randomly, and without warning, or event logs. The only thing in the event log is the power event from when the machine has to get a hard reboot. No BSOD, No Event Logs, No mouse or keyboard.

I've attempted contacting Gigabyte about his problem, and they are not any help. They keep telling me to update drivers, although all of our drivers are the latest ones. I will need to try moving our mobos to the UEFI bios and see if this solves the problems.
m
l
January 15, 2014 7:44:33 PM

I know this is old, but I am having the identical problem set currently. Did replacing the mobo fix your problem?
m
l
!