Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to run 4 monitors on 2x7870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2012 6:27:13 AM

So I initially bought one 7870 as an upgrade to my previous graphics card as it seemed to be able to do everything I required of it (low demands graphically, basically just comp TF2, about the only exacting thing is my alienware monitor which is a 120hz). I read that it could support up to 8 monitors, however, once purchased an i tried to connect a monitor to each output (it has a DVI, 2 x mini display and 1 x HDMI) I then discovered that it would only power that many monitors if they were a special mini displayport type that cost a fortune / barely existed. I just went and bought another 7870 on the assumption that 2 of them would be more then sufficient to drive my four monitors, however I still seem to have the same problem.
I've tried two different things, turning OFF crossfire and plugging 2 monitors into each of the cards, but it only detects the monitors on the primary card and ignores the monitors in the new card I've just added. I've tried running them in crossfire and putting all of the monitors in the primary card or splitting them but again no go.

How do I get 4 monitors to work with 2 x 7870 cards? I have a the alienware monitor using the DVI port (primary), a samsung using a HDMI and 2 x older dells, one using the DVI to miniDP adapter, the other using a dvi to HDMI active adapater and then a HDMI to miniDP adapter that comes with the cards.

I'm now pretty annoyed about this whole lack of miniDP hubs and easy accessibility of them, but surely there is a way to get my setup working without buying anything else?

More about : run monitors 2x7870

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 12:48:21 PM

Buying a second card was completely unnecssary, but since you have it the best thing to do is to setup all 4 on one card and enable crossfire. The way you will need to connect is as follows.

1.) DVI (Just a normal DVI Cable to your monitor) (Alienware)
2.) HDMI (Just a normal HDMI cable to your monitor) Samsung

For the next 2 connections since you dont have Displayport you need an adapter like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These are the recommended type of adapters and the ones that will give you the least problem. Notice these specifically say AMD EyeFinity Ready. Depending on your monitors you will then

3 & 4.) DVI to monitor (Just a normal DVI Cable if your 2 dells support DVI)

or if your monitors have HDMI

3 & 4.) DVI to HDMI Cables from the adapter
October 12, 2012 5:55:31 AM

Best answer selected by strerror.
Score
December 6, 2012 3:08:27 AM

AdioKIP said:
Buying a second card was completely unnecssary, but since you have it the best thing to do is to setup all 4 on one card and enable crossfire. The way you will need to connect is as follows.

1.) DVI (Just a normal DVI Cable to your monitor) (Alienware)
2.) HDMI (Just a normal HDMI cable to your monitor) Samsung

For the next 2 connections since you dont have Displayport you need an adapter like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These are the recommended type of adapters and the ones that will give you the least problem. Notice these specifically say AMD EyeFinity Ready. Depending on your monitors you will then

3 & 4.) DVI to monitor (Just a normal DVI Cable if your 2 dells support DVI)

or if your monitors have HDMI

3 & 4.) DVI to HDMI Cables from the adapter

Hi AdioKIP

Thank you for this answer! I have been searching all over.
I got a SINGLE 7870 could I also run 4 displays doing what you are discribing?
I would like to run 3 monitors as a single screen for gaming and have an hdmi connected to my lcd tv for when I stream netflix or other things I would like to watch on a larger display.

Could I get 2 active Mini DP to DVI converters and connect 2 monitors and then use the remaining DVI to the 3rd monitor and then the hdmi to my tv?

Or am I only able to use 3 displays ports from the card? and would need more equipment to get the 4th display to work? Thank you so much in advance for your help on this!
Score
!