New computer problems

Viridian24

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
So I built my first computer a couple days ago, and I've encountered a few problems already. To be honest, I expected a lot more to go wrong with my computer.

The first problem I've been having is that there's no "beep." I guess my question is whether the POST beeps come from the case or the motherboard? If they come from the case, then there must be something wrong with the speaker in my case. I know for a fact that all of the wiring from my case is plugged into the mobo properly. The second option would be that the beep code actually came from a speaker on the mobo itself. Which would mean that there's something wrong with the speaker/mobo.

The second problem I've been having is a bit more serious. When I start up my computer, sometimes all of the fans turn on, the optical drive spins a bit and I can hear the hard drive activity, but the computer never actually boots. The lights on my mouse and keyboard don't turn on, either. Since I can't hear any beep code, then my computer can't tell me why it won't boot. Nothing is displayed from the VGA output directly connected to the mobo, or the graphics card. I can't tell you how many times I've opened up the case to make sure everything is plugged in correctly and that the mobo has power. The RAM is plugged in tight and correctly. The thing is that it only happens occasionally. I also get "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" blue screens sometimes, but they're kind of random. They mostly occur when I leave my computer idle for a while and don't do anything on it. When I leave my computer idle to download games from steam, update windows, etc., sometimes I come back and the fans are running but the computer isn't on, and the same problem happens all over again. I'm going to test the RAM, since people often say that the "IRQL...." bluescreen is usually caused by either drivers or RAM, but if it was RAM it might be the cause of all of this, with the exception of my no-beep problem.

I just wish I could hear the beeps. =/ That one singular beep is the most amazing sound you've ever heard when you're having problems booting.

tl;dr:
Everything plugged in correctly, according to the mobo manual, can't hear beep code. Fans and HD turn on, but system doesn't boot. Random "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" bluescreen that I can't reproduce, and I really miss the beep =(

System info:
Mobo: BioStar Hi-Fi A85W
CPU: AMD A6 5400K Black Edition 3.6GHz Socket FM2
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Yeah, I know I'm using an NVIDIA card with an AMD CPU...)
RAM: PNY 4GB 1600MHz(x4)
Hard Drive: WD caviar black 1tb SATA
Case: Thermaltake Versa II USB 3.0 ATX
PSU: ULTRA LSP650 650W ATX POWER SUPPLY
Motherboard layout:
http://imgur.com/77NQM
Maybe someone could help me locate the beep?

Solution
Looking at your ram support for your motherboard here http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=615#memory which also points out it is not a full list. Your manual may have a more complete listing
I do not see any PNY modules listed, I did find this kit which is on the supported list http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231319
It may simply be that the ram you have is not compatible with your motherboard (not as common nowadays as in the past but a concern none the less)
First thing, your POST beeps come from the little speaker that you install onto the motherboard (the speaker usually comes as a case accessory - little non-descript button thing with two wires that appears to have no place in the case).
One missing piece of info here is the PSU what make and model?

Viridian24

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Ah, sorry I forgot; ULTRA LSP650 650W ATX... I'll put this in the original post.

Dude, I found the speaker in my bag of screws! I can't believe the manual doesn't say anything about this. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it xD

Tested my RAM with memtest86...0 errors after an hour, but I'll leave it on for a few more tests.

Viridian24

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
After plugging in the speaker, I got continuous beeps, which means "Memory sizing error or Memory module not found," according to the manual. My new problem is, I don't know what to do at this point to fix it.

Although I cannot find reviews for the Ultra LSP650, it does have a reputation of being sub-par (JonnyGuru Forum). The unit is made by Andyson which isn't the highest quality PSU manufacturer and uses chinese capacitors (that's not good). I'm going to suggest that your issues may be related to your PSU. If you have another PSU available I would recommend a swap out to see if your issues persist. If you do not have another to try a swap with... hmmm, I'll see if I can find an alternative course of testing

Okay, that's just weird - I'll get back to that one in a few also, gotta go to work now

Viridian24

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

I just might have found the culprit:
http://imgur.com/ak5Te

I noticed this while switching between another PSU. lol Thanks for your continued help by the way, you've helped me out phenomenally so far =)

If you have a PSU with a 20 pin main connector and 4 pin ATX, you can use that - the Playtool link explains how it connects. ..."You can plug a 20 pin ATX power cable into a motherboard with a 24 pin ATX connector. The image above shows the 20 pin power cable plugged into a 24 pin motherboard. A 20 pin power cable only fits into one end of a 24 pin motherboard connector so you can't insert it incorrectly. The 24 pin motherboard connector is actually just the 20 pin connector with 4 extra pins added on the end. The original 20 pins were unchanged. The extra 4 pins are not separate rails. They're just extra lines to provide more current to the same rails"

Viridian24

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
All right, tested it with a different PSU. Same issue. Continuous beeps and it won't boot. Manual says that means "Memory sizing error or Memory module not found," so I guess I can rule out the PSU.

Looking at your ram support for your motherboard here http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=615#memory which also points out it is not a full list. Your manual may have a more complete listing
I do not see any PNY modules listed, I did find this kit which is on the supported list http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231319
It may simply be that the ram you have is not compatible with your motherboard (not as common nowadays as in the past but a concern none the less)

Solution

Viridian24

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
You know, that's something I totally overlooked. I kind of assumed that all DDR3 RAM would be compatible with a motherboard that uses DDR3. I don't have any other DDR3 memory on hand to test it, but is DDR2 and DDR compatible with a DDR3 motherboard?

Also, a friend of mine told me that if I could find the right drivers, then it SHOULD work with the motherboard. What do you think?

DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 are not interchangable in any way. DDR has less pins than DDR2 and DDR3. DDR2 and DDR3 both have the same amount of pins but are notched differently to prevent accidental use on an incompatible board (not interchangable). The big difference though is voltage with DDR3 using less than DDR2 which used less than DDR.
As far as finding alternate BIOS drivers, that is an artform (my term but I think appropriate) which I have not even ventured into, and from what I have come across about doing it, I don't think I want to. There is a real risk of 'bricking'* your BIOS. Any warranty is automatically voided if Biostar were to troubleshoot the board (very unlikely but possible)

* computer term for turning it into something as nonfunctional as a brick on your motherboard

Viridian24

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Bought some new RAM from my local computer hardware store after checking with the list of compatible RAM. My computer runs beautifully now. No more bluescreens, no more boot problems, no more random shutting down.

You've helped me out so much, thank you for your continuous help with this issue.

Lesson learned: check everything to make sure it's compatible before you buy. It can save a couple days of troubleshooting. lol