Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking to dump 550ti, thoughts?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2012 8:09:11 AM

Hey guys,
It feels like yesterday but it's been a whopping seven months since I built my first PC! Long story short; seven months ago I was a complete noob (and idiot) in a rush to build my first computer. I bought an EVGA 550ti 2GB graphics card from best buy, specs below in the newegg link. I bought it pretty much because it was Nvidia and I paid $180 at the time, you think I would be getting a "high end" graphics card till I see ones costing $300+!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

After months of time, heart, and dedication, I can say I have gotten significantly better with my PC building skills! But one thing that I still lack real brains in is graphics cards. Today I got an email about the 650ti that was being released with Assassins Creed III as a bundle. But after comparing stats (and reading the forums here) I see that the 650ti is just another 550ti "noob bait" graphics cards.

With that being said, does anyone here recommend a good graphics card for me to upgrade to for around $150-200? I think my specs are in my sig, but I got a AMD x6 1045t overclocked at 3.8Ghz, dual channel ram overclocked at 1500mhz, and my graphics supports PCI 2.0 (although I hear 3.0 is almost perfectly backwards compatible). Do you guys even recommend upgrading or should I just keep what I got a little longer? I've looked at the 560ti, what options are there in the Radeon department? I hear ALOT of garbage over them, but if they got something more budget friendly that would work better with an AMD system, maybe I should go with that?

Honestly, I wish I didn't get the 550ti. Although my computer runs games great, it just doesn't quite cut it. Like BF3, looks stunning with a good number of settings on high/ultra, but it gets those minor hiccups, you know, and it doesn't quite keep a steady framerate. Anyone got any opinions on what to do with this? I just don't want to burn a hole in my pocket.

More about : dump 550ti thoughts

Best solution

October 11, 2012 8:39:01 AM

I think AMD 7000 series would be great in this range! they are faster than their NVIDIA competitors, But I'm a fan of AMD! By the way I have GTX 550 Ti DirectCU TOP and it has a great overclocking potential! Believe it or not you expect GTX 550 Ti work for you as High-End cards, but it's a budget card and it worth it! But NVIDIA cards are more expensive for sure and AMD 7000 works better in this range! you can afford a HD 7850. according to its manufacturer, cooling design, gpu clock and blah blah blah they have different prices! But Sapphire HD 7850 Dual-X is a good choice which you can buy for about 160$ on newegg. here's the coordinates: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

By the way I prefer GIGABYTE HD 7850 OC which provides a 75 MHz faster GPU Clock. Buy it for 200$ on newegg!!!

By the way GTX 550 Ti is really good!!!! really goooooooooooooooooooood!!! PERFECT! (but I really want a GTX 660 Ti)
October 11, 2012 12:16:09 PM

sedativechunk said:
Hey guys,
It feels like yesterday but it's been a whopping seven months since I built my first PC! Long story short; seven months ago I was a complete noob (and idiot) in a rush to build my first computer. I bought an EVGA 550ti 2GB graphics card from best buy, specs below in the newegg link. I bought it pretty much because it was Nvidia and I paid $180 at the time, you think I would be getting a "high end" graphics card till I see ones costing $300+!

After months of time, heart, and dedication, I can say I have gotten significantly better with my PC building skills! But one thing that I still lack real brains in is graphics cards. Today I got an email about the 650ti that was being released with Assassins Creed III as a bundle. But after comparing stats (and reading the forums here) I see that the 650ti is just another 550ti "noob bait" graphics cards.

With that being said, does anyone here recommend a good graphics card for me to upgrade to for around $150-200? I think my specs are in my sig, but I got a AMD x6 1045t overclocked at 3.8Ghz, dual channel ram overclocked at 1500mhz, and my graphics supports PCI 2.0 (although I hear 3.0 is almost perfectly backwards compatible). Do you guys even recommend upgrading or should I just keep what I got a little longer? I've looked at the 560ti, what options are there in the Radeon department? I hear ALOT of garbage over them, but if they got something more budget friendly that would work better with an AMD system, maybe I should go with that?

Honestly, I wish I didn't get the 550ti. Although my computer runs games great, it just doesn't quite cut it. Like BF3, looks stunning with a good number of settings on high/ultra, but it gets those minor hiccups, you know, and it doesn't quite keep a steady framerate. Anyone got any opinions on what to do with this? I just don't want to burn a hole in my pocket.

just like expellite said go with the 7850 but i would go with the sapphire hd7850 it 179.99, the 7850 is a great overclocker you can get it onpar with a 7870 with some ocing
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2012 1:09:00 AM

Best answer selected by sedativechunk.
m
l
October 21, 2012 1:19:13 AM

Hey guys thanks for the replies! :bounce: 

We'll I haven't replied immediately to this thread but I did read all your answers and did my own research. I've decided I'm just going to save my cash for now. I'm gonna save about $1,000 bucks on the side and when the time comes, I'm going to jump on the Intel bandwagon and build a brand new computer with a better graphics card. And when I mean jump on the AMD bandwagon, I mean when the i5/i7's retire and the next badass CPU comes out (i7's already been out for a couple years).

This AMD chip and motherboards already sorta dated, more of 2010-2011 combo. It's PCI express 2.0, the max RAM speed is 1333Mhz (yes I've overclocked it but stock newer systems are nearly double that speed!). I can't add any more RAM and I can't do PCI ever if I wanted on this, it only has one PCI express slot. Furthermore I got a 600 watt PSU when I wish I had something more like an 850 watt for a serious gaming PC.

I like my build. It's not perfect, but it's very good. It plays all the games and in the end of the day, that's what counts. I need my computer for WORK, and I'm glad I finally have system that's rock solid stable and has performance behind it for that purpose. I'm going to keep this PC for years on in as a good work computer and start something new on the side when the time is right.
m
l
!