First time building gaming/editing pc

Hi
I am going to build a pc for the first time. I am going to use it mostly for video editing, 3d rendering and gaming. I was wondering if these specs will work well for the purpose and if everything will fit together:

CPU: Intel Ivybridge i7-3770k 3,5GHZ. Boost to 3,9GHZ.

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77

Graphics card: ASUS GTX680 2GB PCI-E

Ram: Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB DDR3

PSU: Fractal Design Integra R2 750W

Cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80

SSD: Crucial v4 256GB SATA 6Gb/s

Tower: Antec Three Hundred TWO

Will all of this fit together, and will it be good for gaming/editing?
Would it be possible to run BF3 at ultra settings? :D
10 answers Last reply
More about first time building gaming editing
  1. Everything should fit, but a few comments here.

- Sabertooth is an overpriced gimmick, it's basically the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO and the ASRock z77 Extreme6 minus the thermal armor that actually adds up to temps, ironically.
    - RAM looks... weird.. and overpriced at that. Get low profile RAM like Corsair Vengeance LP or G.Skill Sniper/Ares.
    - Forget the H80, the extra cost and risks in leaking isn't worth it. High-end air coolers like the NH-D14 and Silver Arrow will outperform it.
    - The 680 is an overpriced card as well, you're basically paying ~$100 for a 5% increase in performance from the 670. Just get a 670 and OC it a bit, I suggest getting the Gigabyte.
    - the V4 series of Crucial has been met with a lot of negative feedback mostly in reliability and quality. I suggest the M4 series if you want to stick with Crucial. Alternately, you can get the Vertex 4 or Samsung 830/840 Pro SSDs which are better.
  2. excella1221 said:
    Everything should fit, but a few comments here.

- Sabertooth is an overpriced gimmick, it's basically the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO and the ASRock z77 Extreme6 minus the thermal armor that actually adds up to temps, ironically.
    - RAM looks... weird.. and overpriced at that. Get low profile RAM like Corsair Vengeance LP or G.Skill Sniper/Ares.
    - Forget the H80, the extra cost and risks in leaking isn't worth it. High-end air coolers like the NH-D14 and Silver Arrow will outperform it.
    - The 680 is an overpriced card as well, you're basically paying ~$100 for a 5% increase in performance from the 670. Just get a 670 and OC it a bit, I suggest getting the Gigabyte.
    - the V4 series of Crucial has been met with a lot of negative feedback mostly in reliability and quality. I suggest the M4 series if you want to stick with Crucial. Alternately, you can get the Vertex 4 or Samsung 830/840 Pro SSDs which are better.

you said all the things i wanted to say :)
    one more thing if you'r not going to overclock and rely on the boost option then forget the aftermarket coolers , also get a modular psu ( seasonic , xfx , corsair ) preferred .
  3. what program will you be using for video editing, and how much of your time will be spent rendering?
  4. I'm going to use After Effects and Sony Vegas Pro for compositing and 3ds Max. I am going to do some advanced reflections and simulations in 3ds max, so it will be a lot of time rendering.
  5. excella1221 said:
    Everything should fit, but a few comments here.

Thanks.

Would you recommend the ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA motherboard?
    And would the Be-Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2 be a good cooler?
    I am going for the Corsair Vengeance LP ram, the gtx 670 and the m4 ssd.
  6. No, not really. Only if you'll need the extra PCI-E 3.0 for 3-way SLI/Crossfire.
    Lots of onboard stuff that the ASRock Extreme6 has and the Formula doesn't, it doesn't have any PCI slots at all, and the only advantage I can see is a Bluetooth and Wifi onboard but you can get those for like $10-15 each.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006654&IsNodeId=1&Description=asrock%20z77&bop=And&CompareItemList=-1%7C13-131-854%5E13-131-854-TS%2C13-157-295%5E13-157-295-TS

Get the 212 EVO, best performance for the money.
  7. I suggest fast 2000 RAM like this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145330

or faster RAM like this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233353

for all the rendering you'll be doing
  8. dingo07 said:
    I suggest fast 2000 RAM like this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145330

or faster RAM like this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233353

for all the rendering you'll be doing

this vengeance ram has cas 10 and both has a high voltage @1.65 and this is pretty bad ...
  9. mrdowntownkiller said:
    this vengeance ram has cas 10 and both has a high voltage @1.65 and this is pretty bad ...

I guess you don't understand the fundamentals of RAM speed... your comment would actually matter if the speed was 1333 or even 1600 - and can you explain why the voltage is "pretty bad"?
  10. The 2nd RAM suggestion... I find it really impractical to invest in that - there's little to no difference between 1600MHz of RAM and 2400MHz in gaming, maybe 0-2 fps at most. As for the media creation, it should show a difference in performance, but minimal and imo doesn't justify the near $200 price tag.

Regarding the 1.65v thing, Intel has decided to void CPU warranties for anything going over 1.5v since it strains the processor's memory controller and causes instability.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product