BF2 128MB video card high textures?

Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

My PC has 1GB of memory and a 128MB video card (AGP 6600GT). I can
play the demo (I am awaiting my order for the full game to turn up)
fine with medium textures, but if I try high textures I get a lot of
stuttering which seems because of extra pagefile usage. I was
wondering if anyone is able to play the game smoothly with high
textures on a 128MB card before I go and buy more RAM.
More about 128mb video card high textures
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    > My PC has 1GB of memory and a 128MB video card (AGP 6600GT). I can
    > play the demo (I am awaiting my order for the full game to turn up)
    > fine with medium textures, but if I try high textures I get a lot of
    > stuttering which seems because of extra pagefile usage. I was
    > wondering if anyone is able to play the game smoothly with high
    > textures on a 128MB card before I go and buy more RAM.

    I have a 128mb 9800 pro and 1GB PC3200 and it stuttered when textures were
    on high, so i purchased another 512 and....it still stutters!
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    > My PC has 1GB of memory and a 128MB video card (AGP 6600GT). I can
    > play the demo (I am awaiting my order for the full game to turn up)
    > fine with medium textures, but if I try high textures I get a lot of
    > stuttering which seems because of extra pagefile usage.

    It's not extra pagefile use, it's the graphics card faulting textures in and
    out all the time. If you have 128Mb of memory on your video card then medium
    is the best opion.

    L.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:32:48 +0100, "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod>
    wrote:

    >It's not extra pagefile use, it's the graphics card faulting textures in and
    >out all the time. If you have 128Mb of memory on your video card then medium
    >is the best opion.

    There certainly is extra pagefile usage, it rises by about 500MB when
    I use high textures, so I believe extra RAM would help to some extent,
    but m3thod's message doesn't fill me with hope!
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:32:48 +0100, "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It's not extra pagefile use, it's the graphics card faulting textures in
    >>and
    >>out all the time. If you have 128Mb of memory on your video card then
    >>medium
    >>is the best opion.
    >
    > There certainly is extra pagefile usage, it rises by about 500MB when
    > I use high textures, so I believe extra RAM would help to some extent,
    > but m3thod's message doesn't fill me with hope!

    It says in the readme, don't enable high textures without a 512MB graphics
    card. You might get away with it with 256MB, but it is clear a 128MB will
    simply not cut it.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:32:48 +0100, "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It's not extra pagefile use, it's the graphics card faulting textures in
    >>and
    >>out all the time. If you have 128Mb of memory on your video card then
    >>medium
    >>is the best opion.
    >
    > There certainly is extra pagefile usage, it rises by about 500MB when
    > I use high textures, so I believe extra RAM would help to some extent,
    > but m3thod's message doesn't fill me with hope!

    The page file goes up because all the textures won't fit in the graphics
    card.

    He needs more memory on his graphics card.

    A really decent disk defragment can help a bit, but not with the built-in
    winXP defrag, but with something like the full version of diskeeper or the
    30 day trial version of O&O, which I found works well doing a full
    defragment by directory (names algorithm)

    You can find O&O defrag at http://www.oo-software.com/en/index.html

    L.

    L.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Andrew wrote:
    > My PC has 1GB of memory and a 128MB video card (AGP 6600GT). I can
    > play the demo (I am awaiting my order for the full game to turn up)
    > fine with medium textures, but if I try high textures I get a lot of
    > stuttering which seems because of extra pagefile usage. I was
    > wondering if anyone is able to play the game smoothly with high
    > textures on a 128MB card before I go and buy more RAM.

    I raised the AGP Aperture size BIOS setting to max, that helped quite a
    lot. But probably the only perfect cure is a 256 Mb card.

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    In alt.games.battlefield1942 Achtung Ecco <nospam@spam.no> wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    > > My PC has 1GB of memory and a 128MB video card (AGP 6600GT). I can
    > > play the demo (I am awaiting my order for the full game to turn up)
    > > fine with medium textures, but if I try high textures I get a lot of
    > > stuttering which seems because of extra pagefile usage. I was
    > > wondering if anyone is able to play the game smoothly with high
    > > textures on a 128MB card before I go and buy more RAM.

    > I raised the AGP Aperture size BIOS setting to max, that helped quite a
    > lot. But probably the only perfect cure is a 256 Mb card.

    Same here with AGP Aperture size (256 MB max). The game has longer loading,
    exiting, etc. The game seems to play decently (not smoothly) on my Athlon
    64 3200+ with 1 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB), and Catalyst
    v5.2 driver (not upgrading due to MMC audio issue).
    --
    "Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying Circus
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
    ( )
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod> wrote in message

    > "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:32:48 +0100, "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>It's not extra pagefile use, it's the graphics card faulting textures in
    >>>and
    >>>out all the time. If you have 128Mb of memory on your video card then
    >>>medium
    >>>is the best opion.
    >>
    >> There certainly is extra pagefile usage, it rises by about 500MB when
    >> I use high textures, so I believe extra RAM would help to some extent,
    >> but m3thod's message doesn't fill me with hope!
    >
    > The page file goes up because all the textures won't fit in the graphics
    > card.
    >
    > He needs more memory on his graphics card.
    >
    > A really decent disk defragment can help a bit, but not with the built-in
    > winXP defrag, but with something like the full version of diskeeper or the
    > 30 day trial version of O&O, which I found works well doing a full
    > defragment by directory (names algorithm)
    >
    > You can find O&O defrag at http://www.oo-software.com/en/index.html
    >
    > L.
    >

    > L.

    Would there be any problems installing both Diskeeper and O&O? I have
    Diskeeper and its 'set it and forget it' setting is not something i want to
    part with! But this names algorithm malarky seems like good stuff....
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    You really don't want to be running both. If you already have the full
    version of diskeeper I just stay with that.

    L.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    > > > My PC has 1GB of memory and a 128MB video card (AGP 6600GT). I can
    > > > play the demo (I am awaiting my order for the full game to turn up)
    > > > fine with medium textures, but if I try high textures I get a lot of
    > > > stuttering which seems because of extra pagefile usage. I was
    > > > wondering if anyone is able to play the game smoothly with high
    > > > textures on a 128MB card before I go and buy more RAM.

    > > I raised the AGP Aperture size BIOS setting to max, that helped quite a
    > > lot. But probably the only perfect cure is a 256 Mb card.

    > Same here with AGP Aperture size (256 MB max). The game has longer loading,
    > exiting, etc. The game seems to play decently (not smoothly) on my Athlon
    > 64 3200+ with 1 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB), and Catalyst
    > v5.2 driver (not upgrading due to MMC audio issue).

    I played more BF2 today with 256 MB AGP Aperture and decided to set textures
    back to medium (with everything else at high; no FSAA).

    With 256 MB, I got HDD access during gameplay once in a while. A bit
    annoying. I don't know if upgrading to 2 GB of RAM will help. Has anyone
    tried this method with 2 GB of RAM? If so, are there still long loads
    and major HDD access during gameplay?
    --
    "Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying Circus
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
    ( )
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    In alt.games.ea.battlefield Schrodinger <no@way.com> wrote:

    > "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:32:48 +0100, "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>It's not extra pagefile use, it's the graphics card faulting textures in
    > >>and
    > >>out all the time. If you have 128Mb of memory on your video card then
    > >>medium
    > >>is the best opion.
    > >
    > > There certainly is extra pagefile usage, it rises by about 500MB when
    > > I use high textures, so I believe extra RAM would help to some extent,
    > > but m3thod's message doesn't fill me with hope!
    > > --
    > > Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com

    > It says in the readme, don't enable high textures without a 512MB graphics
    > card. You might get away with it with 256MB, but it is clear a 128MB will
    > simply not cut it.

    Where did you see that in readme.txt file? I don't see it. I even
    searched 512, but nothing related to high textures. I even viewed EA Help
    HTML files.
    --
    "Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying Circus
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (Ant's Quality Foraged Links/AQFL)
    ( )
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:00:53 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:32:48 +0100, "Lorian" <nospam@lorian.nod>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>It's not extra pagefile use, it's the graphics card faulting textures in and
    >>out all the time. If you have 128Mb of memory on your video card then medium
    >>is the best opion.
    >
    >There certainly is extra pagefile usage, it rises by about 500MB when
    >I use high textures, so I believe extra RAM would help to some extent,
    >but m3thod's message doesn't fill me with hope!

    You probably know this but just in case. AGP and probably PCI-E use
    system memory like video memory after the video ram is filled up. The
    delay/lag/choppiness sounds like typical AGP when the video ram is all
    used up.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    > My PC has 1GB of memory and a 128MB video card (AGP 6600GT). I can
    > play the demo (I am awaiting my order for the full game to turn up)
    > fine with medium textures, but if I try high textures I get a lot of
    > stuttering which seems because of extra pagefile usage. I was
    > wondering if anyone is able to play the game smoothly with high
    > textures on a 128MB card before I go and buy more RAM.

    It's your video card, I have heard to play high, you should be at 256 meg
    video ram. I have the same card as you and run medium on most stuff (well,
    high on a couple, no shaddows, etc... )
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > In alt.games.ea.battlefield Schrodinger <no@way.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message

    >>>There certainly is extra pagefile usage, it rises by about 500MB when
    >>>I use high textures, so I believe extra RAM would help to some extent,
    >>>but m3thod's message doesn't fill me with hope!
    >>>--
    >>>Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
    >

    >>It says in the readme, don't enable high textures without a 512MB graphics
    >>card. You might get away with it with 256MB, but it is clear a 128MB will
    >>simply not cut it.
    >

    > Where did you see that in readme.txt file? I don't see it. I even
    > searched 512, but nothing related to high textures. I even viewed EA Help
    > HTML files.

    It doesn't, it says....
    'Recommended Specification:
    CPU: 2.4 Ghz
    RAM: 1 Gb
    Video Card with at least 256 Mb of RAM'

    HTH
    --
    Jez, MBA.,
    Country Dancing and Advanced Astrology, UBS.

    'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable
    notion that you should base your actions on reality, you are too often
    led to accept, without much questioning, someone else's version of what
    that reality is. It is a crucial act of independent thinking to be
    skeptical of someone else's description of reality.'-
    Howard Zinn
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    m3thod on 26.06.2005 13:08 wrote:
    > "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
    >> I was
    >> wondering if anyone is able to play the game smoothly with high
    >> textures on a 128MB card before I go and buy more RAM.
    >
    > I have a 128mb 9800 pro and 1GB PC3200 and it stuttered when textures were
    > on high, so i purchased another 512 and....it still stutters!

    Buy another 512 MB RAM, and if that doesn't work, another... :-D
    --
    Regards,

    Peter Reaper

    The browser you can trust: http://www.GetFirefox.com
    Reclaim Your Inbox: http://www.GetThunderbird.com
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    I have the same problem with the stuttering, seems it's my hard drive
    going bonkers. So i messed around a bit and found if i closed zonealarm
    the game runs fine.

    6600gt 128mb
    1gb 3200
    xp3000+
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:49:51 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
    wrote:

    >My PC has 1GB of memory and a 128MB video card (AGP 6600GT). I can
    >play the demo (I am awaiting my order for the full game to turn up)
    >fine with medium textures, but if I try high textures I get a lot of
    >stuttering which seems because of extra pagefile usage. I was
    >wondering if anyone is able to play the game smoothly with high
    >textures on a 128MB card before I go and buy more RAM.

    To follow up on my own question, I have bumped my RAM up to 1.5GB to
    stop some paging that was going on during the game. I just tried
    running it with every graphic setting on high and most of the time it
    ran fine, around 30-40fps, but what stops it being playable is when
    you do a quick 180 as infantry and the scenery behind you is very
    different, the framerate drops to about 1fps momentarily.

    I will have to stick with everything on high apart from the textures.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.ea.battlefield,alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Andrew wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:49:51 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>My PC has 1GB of memory and a 128MB video card (AGP 6600GT). I can
    >>play the demo (I am awaiting my order for the full game to turn up)
    >>fine with medium textures, but if I try high textures I get a lot of
    >>stuttering which seems because of extra pagefile usage. I was
    >>wondering if anyone is able to play the game smoothly with high
    >>textures on a 128MB card before I go and buy more RAM.
    >
    > To follow up on my own question, I have bumped my RAM up to 1.5GB to
    > stop some paging that was going on during the game. I just tried
    > running it with every graphic setting on high and most of the time it
    > ran fine, around 30-40fps, but what stops it being playable is when
    > you do a quick 180 as infantry and the scenery behind you is very
    > different, the framerate drops to about 1fps momentarily.

    Raise AGP aperture size (BIOS setting), worked for me (128 Mb 5900XT
    card, 1 Gb ram).

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco

Graphics Cards Games Video Games