2 routers in Win XP SP2

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I have 2 routers DLink DI604 in a specific config :

- From cablemodem(ISP) to a 4-port switch Eminent
- From switch to one DI604 (rev D1, FW 3.09b1)
- From switch to the other DI604 (rev B2, FW 3.09b1)
- From both DI604 to an 8port switch DLink DES-1008D
This setup gives me 3 LAN free ports of each DI604 and 6 free ports on the
DES-1008, so 12 free ports to connect PC's to AND the possibility of things
like LAN-internal file-sharing, router-config from every PC and so on...
Just like in a "single router" network
Also this setup gets me 2 IP-addresses from ISP, and I am able to control
every router in settings for the users I routed through them (internet
gateway-setting on the individual PCs)

Connected systems are all Win-XP SP2

I have still a question though:
In "network connections" (my network places - properties) I see only ONE
"internet gateway", despite I have configured my own PC with TWO gateways
(192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for TCP/IP advanced settings ).

Did I do something wrong ?
Or is it just that XP stops looking when it finds one gateway ?

love some feedback for this
thanks

cam

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

"Peterken" <peter273@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<_V%2e.51912$1j2.4105342@phobos.telenet-ops.be>...
> I have 2 routers DLink DI604 in a specific config :
>
> - From cablemodem(ISP) to a 4-port switch Eminent
> - From switch to one DI604 (rev D1, FW 3.09b1)
> - From switch to the other DI604 (rev B2, FW 3.09b1)
> - From both DI604 to an 8port switch DLink DES-1008D
> This setup gives me 3 LAN free ports of each DI604 and 6 free ports on the
> DES-1008, so 12 free ports to connect PC's to AND the possibility of things
> like LAN-internal file-sharing, router-config from every PC and so on...
> Just like in a "single router" network
> Also this setup gets me 2 IP-addresses from ISP, and I am able to control
> every router in settings for the users I routed through them (internet
> gateway-setting on the individual PCs)
>
> Connected systems are all Win-XP SP2
>
> I have still a question though:
> In "network connections" (my network places - properties) I see only ONE
> "internet gateway", despite I have configured my own PC with TWO gateways
> (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for TCP/IP advanced settings ).
>
> Did I do something wrong ?
> Or is it just that XP stops looking when it finds one gateway ?
>
> love some feedback for this
> thanks

why would you want to set 2 different gateways on the same machine,
when all your computers are on the same subnet?

"Cam" <chaughton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Peterken" <peter273@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have 2 routers DLink DI604 in a specific config :
>>
>> - From cablemodem(ISP) to a 4-port switch Eminent
>> - From switch to one DI604 (rev D1, FW 3.09b1)
>> - From switch to the other DI604 (rev B2, FW 3.09b1)
>> - From both DI604 to an 8port switch DLink DES-1008D
>> This setup gives me 3 LAN free ports of each DI604 and 6 free ports on
>> the
>> DES-1008, so 12 free ports to connect PC's to AND the possibility of
>> things
>> like LAN-internal file-sharing, router-config from every PC and so on...
>> Just like in a "single router" network
>> Also this setup gets me 2 IP-addresses from ISP, and I am able to control
>> every router in settings for the users I routed through them (internet
>> gateway-setting on the individual PCs)
>>
>> Connected systems are all Win-XP SP2
>>
>> I have still a question though:
>> In "network connections" (my network places - properties) I see only ONE
>> "internet gateway", despite I have configured my own PC with TWO gateways
>> (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for TCP/IP advanced settings ).
>>
>> Did I do something wrong ?
>> Or is it just that XP stops looking when it finds one gateway ?
>>
>> love some feedback for this
>> thanks
>
> why would you want to set 2 different gateways on the same machine,
> when all your computers are on the same subnet?

That's simple:
- When having cofigured 2 gateways, I myself am not bound to a single
gateway
- If one of both is heavy loaded, the other can be used/switched to
- That way I have the possibility of monitoring them without going through
the web-access pages of the gateways (double click the icon next to clock)

But that was not the question....
Question was:
Why do I see only ONE gateway in "My network places - properties", despite
having two configured ?

By the way, the gateways are now both rev D1 using same firmware.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

ok I think the correct answer is windows can only have one default gateway
and setting a second gateway like the default gateway I think is ignored
unless the first default gateway is in fact down and I'm sure you have to
turn on "detect black hole routers" as an advanced tcp/ip setting to make
mutiple gateways to the same network valid...( this might have to be added
as a key in the registry ( I take no responsibility if you edit your
registry and blow up your machine!! just like real microsoft support)) From
a command prompt try a route -print and see what that says.

jwm