Sign in with
Your question

Everything just went wrong

Last response: in Systems
December 2, 2012 2:58:19 PM

First ever thread, wish me luck. :) 

I built my self a pretty decent computer...

Mainboard : Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3
Chipset : AMD 880G
Processor : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3200 MHz Socket AM3 (938)
Physical Memory : 8192 MB (2 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Hard Disk : Seagate ST3500413AS ATA Device (500GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12LS28
Operating System : Windows 8 Pro Professional 6.02.9200 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00

Last week I decided to add a second GTX 560 TI to the mobo. Silly me forgot that my mobo was only CrossfireX compatible. I attempted to download HypserSLI but it failed during the boot up of HyperSLI Windows 8. I have come to the conclusion that I should buy a new mobo to match my current specifications. Now, I know that you can switch parts (Hard Drive, Video Cards, 80/120MM fans) from one mobo to another as long as the specs are right, but is it possible to switch the processor?
i.e if my current mobo supports Socket AM3 and I decided to buy another mobo with Socket AM3 I could just switch the processors from my old to the new? I never thought it could work due to the heat sink , but I would like a second opinion on that.

If there's anything missing let me know and ill fill you in. Feel free to give me your opinion ladies and gents.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item... I personally think that's my best option I have. I'm not too fond of the price, but I will do what I have to do.

More about : wrong

December 2, 2012 3:16:38 PM

Yes you can if the motherboard is compatible. You need to clean the old thermal compound off and apply new compound. Im assuming by your heatsink question you have a clip on heatsink, which in that case be careful but from my understanding it can be removed.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item... believe this MB would work as well and is cheaper.
December 2, 2012 3:30:56 PM

How would one clean the thermal compound off, or reapply one? I have never done this before. Correct! It does have the clip with four screws attached. I just did a quick check on the mobo and it seemed to match all my current specifications! That's awesome!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 2, 2012 4:20:12 PM

Q-tips with acetone (can get at walmart near paint dept) is the best way from what ive read, be careful to not touch or damage the connectors of the CPU. Purchase thermal compound from tigerdirect with your new Mobo and follow direction with the new thermal compound. Make sure to also wipe it off the heatsink as well.
December 2, 2012 4:38:31 PM

just to be on the safe side....

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item... For a Thermal Compound. Doesn't look like there's instructions, but ill take a shot at it.

could nail polish do the trick? :na: 

I basically keep all components to the processor and just remove the heat sink and apply the thermal compound?
December 4, 2012 4:12:46 AM

Yea that will work, you can do a google search on "how to apply thermal grease/compound". Yes remove processor and wipe off compound, and wipe off bottom of heatsink, then install processor, apply thermal compound to processor then set heatsink onto processor. Do not apply thermal compound to processor AND heatsink, only the processor.
December 8, 2012 3:23:47 PM

Thanks for the help dcrager84, but the mobo that I bought (MSI 990 FXA-GD65) was dead out of the box, so now I have to buy a new one. I learned how to apply thermal compound and it worked perfectly fine. :) 
!