2 routers?

Connect one to the Internet and the other one (Internet port) to the first router. Then configure a different network for each router, e.g., 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24.

Here's an example.

First router
Router IP address: 192.168.0.1/24
Internet IP address: provided by your ISP (the default gateway)
Routing to network 192.168.1.0/24: 192.168.0.2
If DHCP is enabled, the range should start at 192.168.0.3 or higher.

Secondrouter
Router IP address: 192.168.1.1/24
Internet IP address: 192.168.0.2
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
If DHCP is enabled, the range should start at 192.168.1.2 or higher.

I have a similar setup with 3 routers.

Pro600

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
thanks ill try that, the problem i have is w the motorola and i called tech support case we couldnt get 3 xboxes to connect at the same time and all be open nat, she replied more or less that that takes alot of connection and im more or less bottlenecking my modem/router, my old 100mbps modem used to do it tho, so i currently went back to my old linksys

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

I personally wouldn't make a new subnet with the other router, just because it is unnecessary for what you are trying to do and may cause problems down the road, and wireless wouldn't be as good switch from one router to the other.

I personally would setup the routers like this

First router
Router IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Internet IP address: provided by your ISP (the default gateway)
If DHCP is enabled, the range should start at 192.168.0.3 or higher.

Secondrouter
Router IP address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Internet IP address: NULL
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
Disable DHCP

Then Plug the first router in to the internet with the WAN port, then connect a cable from one of the first router's lan ports to one of the secondary routers lan ports.

Then with wireless, you set all of the setting exactly the same except for channel. So for example

First router
SSID tomshardware
WPA2 Key: password1234
Channel 1

Secondrouter
SSID tomshardware
WPA2 Key: password1234
Channel 6

On the channels use 1,6 or 11 those will not interfere with one another

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Wireless will still work when a router is acting as an Ethernet switch. I have done it on a few and it works fine, I know a some routers are setup to separate the wireless and the wired from each other so that would need be disabled. But I have 2 routers acting as switches and as Access Pointe, and I haven't had a problem. I can unplug one of the routers and the wireless connections will auto switch from that router there to the other one with out interrupting the communications.

The problems I was thinking about would be programs and devices scanning the network looking for other devices. Some are only designed for a home environment so they will only look at the one subnet it is on and miss the other subnet. So you may end up setting up alot of things manually (as in manually enter the name or the ip address of what ever you are connecting to) so alot of the "plug and play" stuff might get messed up. But it is good practice to setup stuff manually so that may not be a bad thing :)
Another example is games that will let you play local multiplayer between two computers with only (1 license or copy) of the game but your need multiple copies to play over the internet. And having multiple supnets trick it in to thinking it is being played over the internet. But it sound like they uses xbox to play games and not the computer so maybe that will not be a problem.

But both solution will work in enabling the secondary router to be useful.
I just think it is unnecessary to create a new subnet just to add a secondary access point and a few more Ethernet ports.