Sign in with
Your question

Case + Monitor Or New GPU ???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2012 4:22:38 PM

Hi, i have about £200 + a 6870 to sell. Here's my options,

Buy a new monitor - http://www.ebuyer.com/389760-lg-ips234v-pn-23-led-lcd-h... (suggest a better one if there is for around the same price)

and a new case either the NZXT Phantom, Fractal Define XL or the new NZXT Phantom http://nzxt.com/evolve/

Alternatively i could sell my 6870 and buy a 7970 or a 670. If i bought the Case & Monitor i would wait for 8000 series AMD.

Reasons!

Old Acer x223w 1680x1050

Pretty Ghetto Lian Li PC-70 server case.

Current Rig:
i5 2500k @4.3ghz
MSI Z68A-GD55
Exceleram 8GB @1600mhz
Corsair 650w
XFX 6870 Duel Fan

More about : case monitor gpu

a c 85 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 5:34:32 PM

Here's the thing. If you buy a new monitor, you'll have to turn the graphics down a little bit, because you'll be running a higher resolution. [Though that case is bloody awesome looking.]

If you aren't having airflow issues with your case, which you shouldn't be, then I'd keep it for now - more power is nearly always preferred over better looks.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 5:47:01 PM

i would get a gtx 670
Related resources
a c 186 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 5:49:48 PM

Of your given options, I'd go for the faster card every time, you can upgrade the monitor as a nice Christmas present later, can't you ;) 
As for the case, it's a lot of work for no particular gain AND you'll most likely have to bin the old case-it'll cost more to deliver it than you'll get on E-bay-probably.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 6:06:17 PM

At first I was going to tell you to get the GPU. But at the resolution that you're playing at I'm not sure if you could really even appreciate a better GPU since the 6870 already performs pretty well at 1680x1050. I think you might appreciate the monitor upgrade more than upgrading to a GTX 670 and then using it with a small monitor with bad color reproduction. I gamed just fine with a 6870 @ 1920x1080.

So, I'd suggest getting the new monitor.

As for the case, have you thought about any other the corsair's at that price point? I'm not sure how it stacks up in pounds, but the Corsair Vengence C70 is a pretty cool and high quality case at about the same price point as the Fractal Design XL .
October 11, 2012 6:49:57 PM

Yea that c70 looks pretty nice but i'm looking for a full tower.

Do you think its worth me upgrading to a new GPU now since i only really play bf3 and some other lower demanding games atm. I mean, will a 670 or 7970 be able to max out company of heroes 2, GTA V, Battlefield 4 and Bad Company 3.
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 7:08:54 PM

Definitely the monitor first. Resolution matters. You can always play the games below 1080p or with AA turned off if the card isnt up to it, but you will still have the much better color, etc in the new screen when you are not stressing the system.

Getting a 670 to run games at 1680x1050 is just a waste of graphic power. What good are really high framerates if you cant see all the details on the screen in high quality?

Priority:
1. monitor
2. -save up more money-
3. GPU
4. Case
Can upgrade the case later when your performance is taken care of.

Edit: I have one of those LG IPS screens. Watch out for the anti-glare coating. It can be annoying.
October 11, 2012 7:18:12 PM

deadlockedworld said:
Definitely the monitor first. Resolution matters. You can always play the games below 1080p or with AA turned off if the card isnt up to it, but you will still have the much better color, etc in the new screen when you are not stressing the system.

Getting a 670 to run games at 1680x1050 is just a waste of graphic power. What good are really high framerates if you cant see all the details on the screen in high quality?

Priority:
1. monitor
2. -save up more money-
3. GPU
4. Case
Can upgrade the case later when your performance is taken care of.

Edit: I have one of those LG IPS screens. Watch out for the anti-glare coating. It can be annoying.

Sounds like a plan, ill have to look at some new monitors, would you recommend any? and whats annoying with the anti glare?
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 12:51:18 AM

The anti glare films shows up when you are looking at deep blacks sometimes. You are looking at a different model than I have though -- very likely could be different.

I'm no monitor expert so I will let someone else provide comments on monitors.
!