Sign in with
Your question

Monitor turns off and on randomly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2012 5:13:19 PM

Hi, one strange problem occurs from yesterday. While running my pc, my monitor turns off and randomly by its own.. To know the exact root cause, I have tried the following,

1.Turn of my pc and then connect my monitor with my external tv tuner card.

Its running smooth then without causing any problem.

Then I plug my vga cable to the motherboard graphics slot not to my graphics card. Then also its running well.

So, as a conclusion I am thinking that there might be three problems ,

1. PSU issue
2. graphics card problem
3. graphics card driver problem

Please let me know guys what do you think all? what is the main cause behind this?

If you think otherwise then also pls let me know

More about : monitor turns randomly

a b Î Nvidia
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 5:16:10 PM

What make/model is your power supply (PSU) and video gard (GPU)?
m
l
October 11, 2012 5:18:08 PM

gpu- evga nvidia geforce gtx 560 ti

psu- cooler master extreme plus 600 watt
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 5:20:21 PM

Are you monitoring your system temperatures (CPU and GPU in particular)? If so, what are you idle and loaded temperatures?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 5:20:53 PM

Also, are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, or memory)?
m
l
October 11, 2012 5:23:48 PM

no I am not overclocking anything. I am using my gpu from past 3 months.. psu is 2 years old though.. but from yesterday itself I am getting such problem.. and well I have checked via BIOS, system temp is showing as 46 and cpu is showing as approx 80 while connecting my vga card to my gpu
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 5:23:56 PM

Waht kind of monitor? Many LCD's have cheap PSU's in side of them. I've seen many LCD's with the same problem and have about 5 of them in my shop right now.

Do you have another screen to test. Easiest way to eliminate your PC, try a different monitor.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 5:26:29 PM

Is your GPU getting up to 80C? That is pretty hot if at idle.

Download and install hwmonitor and see what it reports. Get it here:

http://majorgeeks.com/HWMonitor_d5842.html
m
l
October 11, 2012 5:28:55 PM

well my monitor is AOC 18.5 inch.. But if this is monitor fault then y its running smoothly when I connect my monitor with tv tuner card (without turning on CPU) and also its running well while I am connecting my monitor with onboard graphics slot.. Please let me know your thoughts on this
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 5:33:55 PM

This is most likely a GPU and/or PSU issue at this point. That is why I am asking about temperatures. These symptoms are most often associated with heat and/or power issues.
m
l
October 11, 2012 5:35:54 PM

ok thanks, I will check and let u know about this..btw do u think if there might some driver related issue?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 5:38:58 PM

Well saying your monitor is turning on and off is different than getting no signal. If the light on the front is flashing/changing color to no signal, etc, that is different than no power at all.

The problem I described is where the monitor physically gets no power on and off, no front light, etc. then it comes backs on for a few sec, and repeats that.

Loosing signal from your video card then sounds like a video card issue as stated. Few words can mean a big difference in figuring something out. lol.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 5:40:06 PM

soumyaelec said:
ok thanks, I will check and let u know about this..btw do u think if there might some driver related issue?

Easy way to test. Uninstall drivers and run it off the stock vga driver for a bit and see if it does it. Boot into safe mode, see if it does it. Etc.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 6:02:41 PM

soumyaelec said:

Sure, a corrupted driver could cause such an issue. Just install the latest from www.nvidia.com and that will take care of that if it is an issue.

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 11, 2012 6:05:08 PM

getochkn said:
Easy way to test. Uninstall drivers and run it off the stock vga driver for a bit and see if it does it. Boot into safe mode, see if it does it. Etc.

While this "may" help isolate whether this is a driver issue or not, it won't put the same load on the GPU (and therefor the PSU) to determine of they have a problem or not. Just something to keep in mind for future troubleshooting.

Good suggestion regardless.
m
l
October 11, 2012 6:17:41 PM

COLGeek said:
Sure, a corrupted driver could cause such an issue. Just install the latest from www.nvidia.com and that will take care of that if it is an issue.

Thank u buddy.. well one think I forgot to mention..I have also tried to run my pc in safe mode(putting the vga cable to my GPU)..but its running fine then
m
l
March 12, 2013 1:23:15 AM

I get the exact same BO2 came out and i chucked it on. i have the same set up as well with a

gpu- nvidia geforce gtx 560 ti
psu- 600 watt

I notice some days i wont have a problem at all, runs heaps of stuff. it is constaly at a cool temp due to the air con and the fans are runing and clean. but then you will get days where you turn it on and right away its flicking on and off. i notice google chrome seems to set it off a lot as well as games but IE it seems to be fairly stable. when it does flicker chrome ends up being messed up with black or blank screens and i have to close it down and reset it. I have tried the latest drivers, windows patches and antivirus/firewall/preformance programs to try fix it and nothing.

in summary some days it works perfectly other days it doesnt.
m
l
!