Monitor turns off and on randomly

soumyaelec

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hi, one strange problem occurs from yesterday. While running my pc, my monitor turns off and randomly by its own.. To know the exact root cause, I have tried the following,

1.Turn of my pc and then connect my monitor with my external tv tuner card.

Its running smooth then without causing any problem.

Then I plug my vga cable to the motherboard graphics slot not to my graphics card. Then also its running well.

So, as a conclusion I am thinking that there might be three problems ,

1. PSU issue
2. graphics card problem
3. graphics card driver problem

Please let me know guys what do you think all? what is the main cause behind this?

If you think otherwise then also pls let me know

soumyaelec

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
no I am not overclocking anything. I am using my gpu from past 3 months.. psu is 2 years old though.. but from yesterday itself I am getting such problem.. and well I have checked via BIOS, system temp is showing as 46 and cpu is showing as approx 80 while connecting my vga card to my gpu

Waht kind of monitor? Many LCD's have cheap PSU's in side of them. I've seen many LCD's with the same problem and have about 5 of them in my shop right now.

Do you have another screen to test. Easiest way to eliminate your PC, try a different monitor.

soumyaelec

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
well my monitor is AOC 18.5 inch.. But if this is monitor fault then y its running smoothly when I connect my monitor with tv tuner card (without turning on CPU) and also its running well while I am connecting my monitor with onboard graphics slot.. Please let me know your thoughts on this

Well saying your monitor is turning on and off is different than getting no signal. If the light on the front is flashing/changing color to no signal, etc, that is different than no power at all.

The problem I described is where the monitor physically gets no power on and off, no front light, etc. then it comes backs on for a few sec, and repeats that.

Loosing signal from your video card then sounds like a video card issue as stated. Few words can mean a big difference in figuring something out. lol.

Easy way to test. Uninstall drivers and run it off the stock vga driver for a bit and see if it does it. Boot into safe mode, see if it does it. Etc.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Sure, a corrupted driver could cause such an issue. Just install the latest from www.nvidia.com and that will take care of that if it is an issue.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

While this "may" help isolate whether this is a driver issue or not, it won't put the same load on the GPU (and therefor the PSU) to determine of they have a problem or not. Just something to keep in mind for future troubleshooting.

Good suggestion regardless.

soumyaelec

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Thank u buddy.. well one think I forgot to mention..I have also tried to run my pc in safe mode(putting the vga cable to my GPU)..but its running fine then

Daniel Gilliland

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
I get the exact same BO2 came out and i chucked it on. i have the same set up as well with a

gpu- nvidia geforce gtx 560 ti
psu- 600 watt

I notice some days i wont have a problem at all, runs heaps of stuff. it is constaly at a cool temp due to the air con and the fans are runing and clean. but then you will get days where you turn it on and right away its flicking on and off. i notice google chrome seems to set it off a lot as well as games but IE it seems to be fairly stable. when it does flicker chrome ends up being messed up with black or blank screens and i have to close it down and reset it. I have tried the latest drivers, windows patches and antivirus/firewall/preformance programs to try fix it and nothing.

in summary some days it works perfectly other days it doesnt.

differencetone

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
This is a really old thread but for anyone reading this, I had the same problem and it was solved when I plugged my monitor's power supply into a UPS. The problem was it did not like the dirty power.

FoxJuan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
I had a similar problem, today i have noticed my 2nd monitor was tuning on&off few times per minute. Updating the nvidia Drivers didn't help to solve the issue. When swapping the connection port to the GPU between the two monitors had fixed my 2nd monitor, but the 1st monitor now had that issue.

So the only way I found to fix that, is by changing the display cable to standard VGA ( did switch to HDMI yesterday, i assume that was the main cause to the problem ) and it automatically lowered the resolution to 1440x900 on the 2nd monitor.

GPU : Nvidia GT 220
WIN 10 32bit

Ramdac

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
I am having the same problem. I changed the computer, from a Intel Core 2 Duo and Geforce 9600 GT to a i5 with built in graphics, and just kept input devices and the Samsung LED monitor, and the problem wasn't solved. I think it may be the monitor power supply.

justin lloyd

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
9 times outta 10 its the HDMI cable or whatever other cable...DVI or VGA . ihave this same issue many times and im actually having it again rite now...its the HDMI cable they wear out notoriously fast...the connectors at the ends are super delicate!!!

justin lloyd

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
9 times outta 10 its the HDMI cable or whatever other cable...DVI or VGA . ihave this same issue many times and im actually having it again rite now...its the HDMI cable they wear out notoriously fast...the connectors at the ends are super delicate!!!