Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Damaged video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2012 5:48:01 PM

hello, this problem is driving me crazy, because the gpu are very expensive and they are dying in with my computer.

my system:

psu: thermaltake toughpower 850w gold +
mobo: asus sabertooth x58
ram: corsair dominator 3x4gb
cpu: i7 960
nothing overclocked

I had a NVIDIA GTX 470 Zotac AMP edition, the card was working fine, but sometimes it displayed pixelated output (I always used to think it was a driver issue) when this happens I just restart the computer and it get fixed.

Often it didnt show video...restarting was the best way to fix it.

the gpu never gave me temperature problems, under heavy load and stress test the temperatures never get over 70ยบ celcius.

well someday I tried to play a game and my pc just restarted. I was like ok let me see with 3dmark software, the pc just restarted again. It doesnt matter what kind of game I started, every game was fine in the menu options but in the gameplay the PC just restarted itself.

even my hdd started to scan itself for errors.

I was thinking, this could be the PSU or the GPU.

my friend came to my house with a PSU tester and the results were fine. he tested with other GPU (radeo hd 5700) and my pc just run every game and every stress test without restarting.

so, it was the gpu, problem solved. :??: 

I used to think my 470 was "faulty" but my friend told me after checking it, it may be a voltage problem because the capacitors were damaged.

the radeon was installed the last sunday, the wednesday the card started to give me the same problem the GTX used to give me :sarcastic:  ...I can play games but when I run the 3d mark, the pc just restarts, and when I try to render a movie file with sony vegas, the pc restarts.

now Im pissed off because I couldnt use the GPU even a week. and I spent some money and now I have to pay again for another gpu.

My friend told me to check the mobo, because is a used mobo, I didnt get it brand new (I used to have another mobo, the same asuss but it came faulty, when I get the first one the price was 200us$, now it seems the price just raised around 300us$ and used is around 180 us$...

I dont know if the mobo could damage the GPU, I want to blame the PSU, but I refuse to get another GPU just to kill it, what do you think guys? this problem is kinda expensive, Im not rich I just want to use my system the most I could. :( 

sorry for my bad english.

More about : damaged video card

Best solution

a c 218 U Graphics card
October 11, 2012 6:16:45 PM

This really sounds like a power issue. It could be poor grounding or it could be a defective PSU.

You should disassemble the system and make sure all of your stand offs are properly placed and secured and that the ATX I/O plate is mounted properly.

Then I would suggest swapping the PSU as well to make sure it isn't the issue.

Good luck!
October 12, 2012 2:42:57 AM

Best answer selected by j-n-r.
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:44:18 AM

COLGeek said:
This really sounds like a power issue. It could be poor grounding or it could be a defective PSU.

You should disassemble the system and make sure all of your stand offs are properly placed and secured and that the ATX I/O plate is mounted properly.

Then I would suggest swapping the PSU as well to make sure it isn't the issue.

Good luck!

thanks for your reply, I guess I can discard the MOBO as the problem...must be a poor grounding or the psu, thanks anyways, I will need a lot of luck, PSU and GPU are expensive lol
m
l
!