enforcer84

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I'm thinking of upgrading around Christmas.

BUDGET RANGE: USD $150-250 After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: World of Warcraft, Champions Online, and Guildwars2 are my most common uses.

CURRENT GPU : EVGA 01G-P3-1371-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card.
AND POWER SUPPLY: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: It's a BIY, Intel i5 processor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: None really

OVERCLOCKING: No, SLI/Cross fire: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080,

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The Nvidia WoW advantage has been great in years past, has AMD actually caught up yet?

Solution

Yeah! If you have a 460, you should be fine up until next year... Then your card will probably not be considered powerful anymore... Games are getting more taxing on the system. Next year is when all the Graphically demanding games are gonna drop. Good luck and have fun! Remember, the 460 is a GREAT card! Just it's probably getting demoted next year lol. I'm going to wait for March as well to buy a high end GPU. I'm excited to see the new Tech.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
The new cards come out in March... But if you want a Good fast card, I'd go with a 660 non-Ti it's priced just under $250 and performs well! I think I was reading it's performance level is between a 570 and a 580. ATI cards are good too, but with Nvidia you get Physx and TXAA with the current Gen cards. But, if you must go ATI, go with a HD 7870 or for a bit cheaper, go with a 7850. But your best bet is the 660 non-Ti. when it's not OC'd its almost on par with the Ti version.

D

Deleted member 217926

I still have an EVGA GTX 460 1GB myself and with overclocking it easily equals a stock GTX 560 ( the GTX 560 is just a heavily overclocked GTX 460 that has been rebadged ) at 820-1640-2000 clocks since the day I got it 2 years ago.

So having said that, this list might help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

As stated on that page you really want to upgrade at least 3 tiers to notice a difference. That would put you in the GTX 660 Ti or HD 7870/7950 range.

The GTX 670 has gone on sale in the $330 range quite a bit lately. Check the deal sites like slickdeals.net and logicbuy.com everyday and you can probably find one cheap.

If you are locked in on price the HD7870 is probably your best bet for the money.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Yeah! If you have a 460, you should be fine up until next year... Then your card will probably not be considered powerful anymore... Games are getting more taxing on the system. Next year is when all the Graphically demanding games are gonna drop. Good luck and have fun! Remember, the 460 is a GREAT card! Just it's probably getting demoted next year lol. I'm going to wait for March as well to buy a high end GPU. I'm excited to see the new Tech.

Solution

gtx560 is no 460 rebadged. when we talk about rebadge its always about the very same chip that being rebirth into new series just like nvidia own G92 or amd 5770 to 6770 case. gf104 and gf114 might be identical in design but the two were not the same chip. the new gf114 was tweaked to use less power at much higher frequency than the original gf104.

@OP

that 460 will hold you quite a while before an upgrade is a must unless you want absolute max setting with absolute 60fps with every game you play. btw you only mention online games is there other games (other than online ones) that urge you to make an upgrade for your gpu?

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Keep your 460, Your in the same boat as me. I actually picked up a second 460 a few months back for 90 bucks. Was the best bang for my buck. As others said, wait till next year or try and find a second one if you MB supports SLI.

D

Deleted member 217926

gtx560 is no 460 rebadged.

It's identical except for the GPU name and the slightly higher stock clocks and slightly less power draw. Identical meaning a GTX 460 clocked to the same speed as a stock GTX 560 means identical performance. Nvidia rebadged the GF 104 to GF 114 after slight improvements. It certainly is not an all new GPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-amp-edition-gtx-560-directcu-ii-top,2944.html

" The chart makes it easier to see that GeForce GTX 560 is essentially a GeForce GTX 460 overclocked to GeForce GTX 560 Ti levels."

i think we have our own translation about chip being rebadged. but i assume when people are talking about rebadge being done it is a metter of two cards with two different names will use the very same chip just like 9800GTX+ and GTS250. same chip, same clock at reference design. they just have different bios. that's why the two cant be paired together in sli but some people came accross about flashing the bios on either one so they can work together though i haven't heard about it was successfully done.

the design might be identical (with gf114 being tweak more to tackle down power consumption) but gf114 is gf114. gf104 is gf104. if 560 is a rebadged 460 it will use gf104 chip instead.