G

How far will all this technology madness go? I am torn because while I love new technology and faster computers, I also hate them with a passion. Everyone is dying for the latest and greatest processor to come out. And why? Is it really gonna enhance your life that much. Pretty soon computers will be so fast (don't laugh please) that I belive they will begin to gain some form of consiousness. You know I don't mean like have feelings and all that stuff, but jesus before you know it we're goin to have Termniators walking around looking for Sarah Connor. I grew up in the outdoors, from a small rural area. I love the nature and actually doing things myself in person, not online or in cyberspace (like I am now, how ironic). I mean are people really that dependent on computers. I look in this forum and I see people who would keel over if for some reason computers ceased to exist tomorrow. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid, but you gotta ask yourself how fast is fast enough? Don't get me wrong I know that I am a forum full of computer enthusiasts, I'm not trying to start I'm just trying to make some people think about some things.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Well,

Speaking in a professional capacity, I work as a manager in information technology for a major financial firm. We do a lot of very serious number crunching.

From a business technology standpoint there is still not enough operations/sec/dollar available right now. We cannot get enough power on the desktops and we cannot get enough power in the datacenter, and I'm not talking 1-8 Intel systems either.

Don't get me wrong, our systems work well within the limits that constrain them, but we are ALWAYS pushing for more, faster, harder than companies turn them out. Of course we need it all for a good $$ and it has to be stable...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I feel pcs are not even close to what I want. I want star tack holodecks were I can and feel like I'm part of the environment.

Jeff