Silly-Assed Question; ETvs RTCW/MP?

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

I understand that ET is a stand-alone multiplayer game, that you can play ET
without having RTCW. What I'm a bit baffled about is this; how much overlap
is there between the games? Is ET significantly different from RTCW/MP? How
about GOTY_RTCW? I noticed that GOTY has several new maps and (IIRC) new
classes of players. Would there be any advantage or profit in downloading ET
when I already have RTCW/MP, GOTY update, and several additional custom
maps?

TIA

FatWalt

---
6months 3weeks 6days and 7:46hours ago I quit smoking the dang thangs, 2,932
coffin nails not smoked,
$403.15 Scotch Whiskey money saved, 1weeks 3days 4:20hours Vulcan riding
time saved!

In my opinion, most neighborhoods can be greatly improved by a fire or two,
and at least one well placed murder.

http://www.angelfire.com/ms/walthome/images/bike3.JPG

"Capt Walt" <vulcandogNOSPAM@cableone.net> wrote in message
> I understand that ET is a stand-alone multiplayer game, that you can play
ET
> without having RTCW. What I'm a bit baffled about is this; how much
overlap
> is there between the games? Is ET significantly different from RTCW/MP?
How
> about GOTY_RTCW? I noticed that GOTY has several new maps and (IIRC) new
> classes of players. Would there be any advantage or profit in downloading
ET
> when I already have RTCW/MP, GOTY update, and several additional custom
> maps?

RTCW GOTY is simply RTCW plus the additional official maps and patched to
1.33, it does not change the game, nor does it add new classes.

ET is quite a different game. As you play you earn experience points (XP)
which enable you to gain abilities. These are either just for the current
map, or can carry over to additional maps in a campaign depending on the
server settings. The classes also have different abilities that in RtCW -
for instance, engineers can lay hidden mines under the surface of the ground
and repair damaged equipment (secondary objectives that have been blown up,
more than just the MG42s they can repair in RtCW). There are also new weapon
options for soldiers. If you can spare a little download time to get ET, do
it and give it a go - it might just surprise you :)

Dan / [AGW]Spacker
[AGW] Shrub Server @ 212.135.149.19:27960
[AGW-BF] DCX Server @ 212.135.149.27:14567

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:43:00 +0100, "Spacker"
<news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote:

>"Capt Walt" <vulcandogNOSPAM@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> I understand that ET is a stand-alone multiplayer game, that you can play
>ET
>> without having RTCW. What I'm a bit baffled about is this; how much
>overlap
>> is there between the games? Is ET significantly different from RTCW/MP?
>How
>> about GOTY_RTCW? I noticed that GOTY has several new maps and (IIRC) new
>> classes of players. Would there be any advantage or profit in downloading
>ET
>> when I already have RTCW/MP, GOTY update, and several additional custom
>> maps?
>
>RTCW GOTY is simply RTCW plus the additional official maps and patched to
>1.33, it does not change the game, nor does it add new classes.
>
>ET is quite a different game. As you play you earn experience points (XP)
>which enable you to gain abilities. These are either just for the current
>map, or can carry over to additional maps in a campaign depending on the
>server settings. The classes also have different abilities that in RtCW -
>for instance, engineers can lay hidden mines under the surface of the ground
>and repair damaged equipment (secondary objectives that have been blown up,
>more than just the MG42s they can repair in RtCW). There are also new weapon
>options for soldiers. If you can spare a little download time to get ET, do
>it and give it a go - it might just surprise you :)
>
>Dan / [AGW]Spacker
>[AGW] Shrub Server @ 212.135.149.19:27960
>[AGW-BF] DCX Server @ 212.135.149.27:14567

Not to mention that a million servers and a gazillion players switched
from RTCW to ET. So, Cpt Walt, play BOTH! You can't miss.

[AGW] Duke

"Oh My" <ohmy@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:43:00 +0100, "Spacker"
> <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >"Capt Walt" <vulcandogNOSPAM@cableone.net> asked a silly-assed question,
and got back a couple of good answers

> Not to mention that a million servers and a gazillion players switched
> from RTCW to ET. So, Cpt Walt, play BOTH! You can't miss.
>
> [AGW] Duke

sounds good to me Duke! I've downloaded it, will spend sometime roaming some
empty maps locally, and I'll see you on the battlefield soon!

FatWalt

AKA "daFamousGrouse"

---
6months 4weeks and 8:18hours ago I quit smoking the dang thangs, 2,946
coffin nails not smoked,
$405.08 Scotch Whiskey money saved, 1weeks 3days 5:30hours Vulcan riding
time saved!

In my opinion, most neighborhoods can be greatly improved by a fire or two,
and at least one well placed murder.

http://www.angelfire.com/ms/walthome/images/bike3.JPG

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

Where can I download it?

In article <10d4t5l1veafh43@corp.supernews.com>,
vulcandogNOSPAM@cableone.net says...

"SpicaTC50" <bluesguitar@verizon.com> wrote in message
> Where can I download it?

here;

http://games.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/

or here;

http://rtcw.filefront.com/sort.files?game=WET

good luck, it's a pretty big download, hope you have a fast connection.

FatWalt

AKA daFamousGrouse

---
7months 5days and 19:05hours ago I quit smoking the dang thangs, 3,061
coffin nails not smoked,
$420.89 Scotch Whiskey money saved, 1weeks 3days 15:05hours Vulcan riding