Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2012 8:17:27 PM

First of all, here are my specs:
PSU: Corsair TX650 v2
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
GPU: MSI R7870 Hawk Edition
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45

This is probably gonna be a long post, so bear with me...
I had this pc for about 2 months now. It worked just fine, until today. I was playing Dishonored (awesome game btw) and all of a sudden my pc shuts down. I tried to turn it on, but no luck. Not even a single light or fan turned on. At first I thought my PSU died, but after a crapload of testing I found out, my PSU is fine. Now i'm gonna sketch a few situations I tried and the result...

Situation #1: No GPU inserted in pc
Result: PC boots just fine, no problems at all

Situation #2: GPU inserted in either of the two PCI slots, but with no 6pin cables connected
Result: PC boots just fine. The gpu's lights turn on, but the fans are not spinning

Now comes the weird thing. When I plug in both 6pin cables in the card, the pc won't boot. So I tried plugging in a 6pin cable in only the left connect, and the pc booted just fine. When I tried plugging in a 6pin cable in just the right connector, the pc wouldn't boot. The problem is definitely the right 6pin connector of my card. I'm thinking the right connector is dead. I just am not sure. I know this is a VERY specific problem, but could anyone help me with this, or should I just get a new card?
October 11, 2012 8:58:10 PM

get a new card
October 11, 2012 9:17:54 PM

probably should RMA that card.

did you try to load your cpu without the card in and see if you get a crash?
Related resources
October 11, 2012 9:33:09 PM

esrever said:
probably should RMA that card.

did you try to load your cpu without the card in and see if you get a crash?

I tried just that and my pc booted fine. No crashes at all. I also tried putting my old GTX460 in my pc, that also worked just fine without any crashes or artifacts. All components work, except for the 7870. I'm wondering how the card could've died, just like that, out of the blue. It wasn't even overclocked. Stock voltages and everything.

I'll try a few more things. If that doesn't work, I'm just gonna RMA the bastard.
October 11, 2012 9:39:00 PM

Well sometimes things like this just happen. Might just be a fault when msi made the 6 pin port. At this point you should just contact msi and get a replacement.
October 27, 2012 5:10:24 AM

hey..same with me...i had my new 7870 hawk 2 days ago..after i installed it..my couldn't boot..hikkzz what's wrong with this card
October 27, 2012 5:17:08 AM

karlkani123 said:
I tried just that and my pc booted fine. No crashes at all. I also tried putting my old GTX460 in my pc, that also worked just fine without any crashes or artifacts. All components work, except for the 7870. I'm wondering how the card could've died, just like that, out of the blue. It wasn't even overclocked. Stock voltages and everything.

I'll try a few more things. If that doesn't work, I'm just gonna RMA the bastard.

hey, have u return ur card and got a replacement?..
!