D100 now cheaper than D70?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 22, 2005 8:53:34 PM

I saw the D100 going for about $120 less than the
D70. Same lens.
-Rich

More about : d100 cheaper d70

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 11:47:30 PM

>I saw the D100 going for about $120 less than the
> D70. Same lens.
> -Rich

What's the advantage of the D100 at this point in time, and compared to the
D70?
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 3:04:30 AM

>I saw the D100 going for about $120 less than the
> D70. Same lens.
> -Rich

Same store, both new? Post a link.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 4:51:57 AM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:47:30 -0600, "Sheldon"
<sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:

>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>I saw the D100 going for about $120 less than the
>> D70. Same lens.
>> -Rich
>
>What's the advantage of the D100 at this point in time, and compared to the
>D70?

I don't know that is has any. I thought Nikon's lower end were
"number based" D50, D70, D100 in terms of features or build-quality.
-Rich
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 9:26:12 AM

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:

> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>I saw the D100 going for about $120 less than the
>> D70. Same lens.
>> -Rich
>
> What's the advantage of the D100 at this point in time, and compared
> to the D70?

Cable release and mirror slap elimination. Uncompressed RAW files, if you
think that's really a plus.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 2:58:32 PM

Sheldon <sheldon@xxxxxxxxsopris.net> wrote:

> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>I saw the D100 going for about $120 less than the
>> D70. Same lens.
>> -Rich

> What's the advantage of the D100 at this point in time, and compared to the
> D70?

From what I remember, the D100 has a much better anti-aliasing filter.

Andrew.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 5:25:57 PM

In article <116kaioiftgd734@news.supernews.com>,
<andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote:
>Sheldon <sheldon@xxxxxxxxsopris.net> wrote:
>
>> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>>I saw the D100 going for about $120 less than the
>>> D70. Same lens.
>>> -Rich
>
>> What's the advantage of the D100 at this point in time, and compared to the
>> D70?
>
>From what I remember, the D100 has a much better anti-aliasing filter.

And the D100 may have a better viewfinder (pentaprism instead of mirrors).

April 24, 2005 1:09:40 AM

<andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote in message
> Sheldon <sheldon@xxxxxxxxsopris.net> wrote:
>
>> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>>I saw the D100 going for about $120 less than the
>>> D70. Same lens.
>>> -Rich
>
>> What's the advantage of the D100 at this point in time, and compared to
>> the
>> D70?
>
> From what I remember, the D100 has a much better anti-aliasing filter.
>
> Andrew.

Not really true. The hype about moire on the D70 is just that. Hype.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:10:17 AM

"Philip Homburg" <philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl> wrote in message
> In article <116kaioiftgd734@news.supernews.com>,
> <andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote:
>>Sheldon <sheldon@xxxxxxxxsopris.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> What's the advantage of the D100 at this point in time, and compared to
>>> the
>>> D70?
>>
>>From what I remember, the D100 has a much better anti-aliasing filter.
>
> And the D100 may have a better viewfinder (pentaprism instead of mirrors).

Nope. Both have a pentaprism. Urban legend that the D70 is mirrors. Poor
wording on Nikon's part.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 5:51:56 AM

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message

> What's the advantage of the D100 at this point in time, and compared to
the
> D70?

-Mirror Lock-Up
-Available Vertical Grip (though there is now an after-market grip for the
D70, it is somewhat of a kludge)
-Remote Cable Shutter Release (added to the D70s, and available on the D70
as an after-market retrofit)
-Less Moire, because the AA filter on the D100 is "stronger" than the one on
the D70.

The D100 is being cleared out in preparation for its replacement, which is
why it is on sale.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 10:26:40 PM

andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid wrote:

> From what I remember, the D100 has a much better anti-aliasing filter.
>
> Andrew.

Which results in mushier images than the D-70's.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 10:31:57 PM

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

> Not really true. The hype about moire on the D70 is just that. Hype.

It's real, and I can tell you, as I use both cameras every day, that the
D70 is more liable to it. The tradeoff is that its images are sharper.
Moire is rare but it happens and I have run into annoying amounts of it on
about 20 frames out of maybe 4500. All on manmade objects, mostly
architecture and fabrics. If you shoot landscapes you could wear the camera
out before you'll see one.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 10:31:58 PM

"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>

>> Not really true. The hype about moire on the D70 is just that. Hype.
>>
> It's real, and I can tell you, as I use both cameras every day, that the
> D70 is more liable to it. The tradeoff is that its images are sharper.
> Moire is rare but it happens and I have run into annoying amounts of it on
> about 20 frames out of maybe 4500. All on manmade objects, mostly
> architecture and fabrics. If you shoot landscapes you could wear the
> camera
> out before you'll see one.

Thanks. It is always good to hear from someone who actually uses the
equipment in question. So I would like to ask you a question (and anyone
else who cares to answer).

I shoot primarily landscapes for pleasure, and people and events for my work
in public affairs. In your experience, would the slower buffer and shooting
rate on the D-100 be a significant issue?

I do occasionally shoot amateur sports too, but not for publication.
Frankly, I'm wondering if the availability of a vertical grip and lack of
moiré are more important than the added sharpness and speed of a D-70. I
rarely print larger than 8X10.

Walt
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:04:25 PM

> andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid wrote:
>

> > From what I remember, the D100 has a much better anti-aliasing filter.
> >
> > Andrew.
> >

> Which results in mushier images than the D-70's.

It's all trade-offs. As sensor resolution increase, this will be less of a
problem.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:16:57 AM

"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>

>> Not really true. The hype about moire on the D70 is just that. Hype.
>>

> It's real, and I can tell you, as I use both cameras every day, that the
> D70 is more liable to it. The tradeoff is that its images are sharper.
> Moire is rare but it happens and I have run into annoying amounts of it on
> about 20 frames out of maybe 4500. All on manmade objects, mostly
> architecture and fabrics. If you shoot landscapes you could wear the
> camera
> out before you'll see one.

I also use the D70 and D100 and perhaps it is more common on the D70, but 20
frams out of 4500? Who cares!
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:20:45 AM

"Walt Hanks" <walthanks@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Thanks. It is always good to hear from someone who actually uses the
> equipment in question. So I would like to ask you a question (and anyone
> else who cares to answer).
>
> I shoot primarily landscapes for pleasure, and people and events for my
> work in public affairs. In your experience, would the slower buffer and
> shooting rate on the D-100 be a significant issue?
>
> I do occasionally shoot amateur sports too, but not for publication.
> Frankly, I'm wondering if the availability of a vertical grip and lack of
> moiré are more important than the added sharpness and speed of a D-70. I
> rarely print larger than 8X10.
>
> Walt

Since I shoot the D70, D100 and D2X, and shoot about 40% landscapes, I'll
jump in. The D70 and D100 are interchangeable for landscapes. Personally, I
don't shoot very many fast-moving landscapes, so I do not find the buffer of
the D100 to be a major limitation. For landscapes, they are essentially
interchangeable and,in fact, I put two different lenses on the bodies,
usually the 18-70 and the 12-24 and shoot with them both. I don't even
notice which body is which.

Now the D70 does have a couple features I like. The images are more useable
'right out of the camera', which is handy in snapshot mode. It also is
better for sports, because of the buffer. I have never found the lack of a
vertical grip to be an issue and do not own one for the D100.

If I was going to buy one now, I cannot see any reason to buy a D100. The
D70 is superior in many ways.

Tom
who really shoots almost all D2X now.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 7:37:34 AM

"Walt Hanks" <walthanks@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I do occasionally shoot amateur sports too, but not for publication.
> Frankly, I'm wondering if the availability of a vertical grip and lack of
> moiré are more important than the added sharpness and speed of a D-70. I
> rarely print larger than 8X10.

You can get a vertical grip for the D70, just not from Nikon. It's a bit of
a kludge, but it's okay.

The moire versus sharpness is a trade-off. I think that in post processing
that it is easier to remove the moire than to increase the sharpness, but
fortunately I don't have to make those trade-offs.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 8:17:13 AM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 03:37:34 GMT, Steven M. Scharf
<scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:

> The moire versus sharpness is a trade-off. I think that in post processing
> that it is easier to remove the moire than to increase the sharpness, but
> fortunately I don't have to make those trade-offs.

If you use digital cameras, you make those trade-offs.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

Walt Hanks wrote:
> I am going to have to check out that aftermarket vertical grip for the D-70.
> Can anyone tell me who makes it?

<http://harbortronics.com/&gt;
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 10:34:43 PM

"Walt Hanks" <walthanks@comcast.net> wrote:

> Thanks. It is always good to hear from someone who actually uses the
> equipment in question. So I would like to ask you a question (and
> anyone else who cares to answer).
>
> I shoot primarily landscapes for pleasure, and people and events for
> my work in public affairs. In your experience, would the slower
> buffer and shooting rate on the D-100 be a significant issue?
>
> I do occasionally shoot amateur sports too, but not for publication.
> Frankly, I'm wondering if the availability of a vertical grip and lack
> of moiré are more important than the added sharpness and speed of a
> D-70. I rarely print larger than 8X10.
>
> Walt

The slower buffer is not too much of an issue unless you're shooting
sports or something similar in RAW mode. If you are, you'll want the D70.

I find the D100 vertical grip to be as useful as tits on a boar. Mine
stays in the box. Holding a camera vertically has always been as natural
to me as holding one horizontally.

Unless I specifically needed the mirror delay function of the D100, which
is very useful (essential, actually) for long telephoto work between 1
sec and 1/30 sec, I'd personally go for the D70.

You're probably not going to notice the sharpness difference if you print
8x10 and smaller. What difference there is can be compensated for in your
Photoshop workflow.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:49:52 PM

Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

> Not really true. The hype about moire on the D70 is just that. Hype.

I took a test picture of my kitchen and caught an enormous amount of
moire off of the screen of my microwave oven door. I haven't seen it
anywhere else though.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
April 26, 2005 9:49:53 PM

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> I took a test picture of my kitchen and caught an enormous amount of
> moire off of the screen of my microwave oven door. I haven't seen it
> anywhere else though.

There goes your microwave oven door photography career.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:13:56 PM

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>
>> Not really true. The hype about moire on the D70 is just that. Hype.
>>

> I took a test picture of my kitchen and caught an enormous amount of
> moire off of the screen of my microwave oven door. I haven't seen it
> anywhere else though.

I don't doubt that. Bet you'd see it with a 20D too.
!