Question about Bottlenecking

So I am thinking about getting a new graphics card and i didnt want to bottleneck my cpu. Right now i am running a 2600k at stock clocks, 8gb ram, 60gb ssd, 1 tb 7200rpm hdd, gtx 560sc. I am thinking about getting a gtx 680 msi lightning, but was wondering if i might have to oc my cpu to get the full power of the gpu?
5 answers Last reply
More about question bottlenecking
  1. It will be good to OC w/e card you get but you won't need to either.
  2. Yeah my problem right now is i still have stock cpu fan on it but im thinking of getting a new cpu fan as well if i could benefit greatly from the oc. I was thinking of intels new water cooled cpu fan, any suggestions on fan and best thermal paste?
  3. esrever said:
    It will be good to OC w/e card you get but you won't need to either.

And say i wanted to oc this card to lets say 1400+, what do you think i would need to oc my cpu to?
  4. Well the card is unlikely to go 1400+. 680s generally run about 1300 OCed.

There really isn't that great of difference between an OCed cpu and non OCed. Just get a cheap air cooler like the Hyper 212+ and you can get 4.5ghz generally. You should be able to do 4.8 or so on water with a H100 or something.
  5. esrever said:
    Well the card is unlikely to go 1400+. 680s generally run about 1300 OCed.

There really isn't that great of difference between an OCed cpu and non OCed. Just get a cheap air cooler like the Hyper 212+ and you can get 4.5ghz generally. You should be able to do 4.8 or so on water with a H100 or something.

Alright thanks for the help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Bottleneck CPUs Graphics