Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Making New Build - Completely New To Computers

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
December 2, 2012 11:05:55 PM

Hey everyone!

I was recommended to this site to get feedback on new builds on a desktop. Just wanted to know if this build would satisfy my needs. I mostly want to use this computer for gaming and personal use. I want this computer to last me a long time and my price range is less than $1200. i already have my tv as my monitor. Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it.




EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 01G-P3-1563-AR Video Card
Item #:N82E16814130610
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
$254.99


Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy
$99.99



ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
$19.99


RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WU Black / Blue SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$49.99


COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+
$34.99


Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K
$319.99

Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$109.99


G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
$36.99


ALL FROM NEWEGG

More about : making build completely computers

December 2, 2012 11:19:52 PM

Unless you are getting that 560ti for $180 then get this get a 7870. I noticed on newegg that 560ti was more expensive than almost all of them
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
the 7870 is stronger than a 580
Get an i5 3570k. It's cheaper and just as good for gaming.
Get this hard drive same quality cheaper $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Also format this way better, everything is listed at least 3 times.
m
0
l
December 2, 2012 11:21:30 PM

Also, with a 3570K, a CPU cooler should be purchased so you can overclock in the future.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 2, 2012 11:40:55 PM

This is a better build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qEYp
You could add a ssd like the samsung 830 128gb for about $100 more to make the total around $1100.
m
0
l
December 2, 2012 11:45:59 PM

Yes that is stronger but the one I suggested is also cheaper.
m
0
l
December 2, 2012 11:48:53 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
Yes that is stronger but the one I suggested is also cheaper.

I meant it was better than his build.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 12:01:04 AM

To my understanding, the radeon cards are a better bang for your buck, but I'm willing to spend the extra money for an nvidia card like the fermi's. What do you guys think? Do you think that would be worth it? And the i5 sounds like a good idea! And I'm definitely thinking bout the SSD, the improvement is massive but is 100$ extra. Thanks for the quick feedback!
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 12:14:13 AM

strife_ff7 said:
This is a better build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qEYp
You could add a ssd like the samsung 830 128gb for about $100 more to make the total around $1100.


Hey Strife I was looking at your build and I am wondering if ASRock is a reliable company for motherboards.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 12:29:31 AM

They are pretty darn reliable imo. I've heard good things about them.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 1:01:19 AM

I've only had one ASRock, an H67M (bought it with my i5-2500) but it's still running two years later with no problems, and boy, does it boot past BIOS/UEFI and into Windows fast. My older Gigabyte boards (1st gen core) take twice as long or longer to get out of BIOS.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 1:29:46 AM

javi4911 said:
To my understanding, the radeon cards are a better bang for your buck, but I'm willing to spend the extra money for an nvidia card like the fermi's. What do you guys think? Do you think that would be worth it? And the i5 sounds like a good idea! And I'm definitely thinking bout the SSD, the improvement is massive but is 100$ extra. Thanks for the quick feedback!

No it isn't. The 7870 is about as strong or stronger than 2 560ti's in sli. Fermi is just an architecture and means nothing.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 1:37:29 AM

javi4911 said:
To my understanding, the radeon cards are a better bang for your buck, but I'm willing to spend the extra money for an nvidia card like the fermi's. What do you guys think? Do you think that would be worth it? And the i5 sounds like a good idea! And I'm definitely thinking bout the SSD, the improvement is massive but is 100$ extra. Thanks for the quick feedback!


Theres no reason to that, AMD are just as reliable as Nvidia cards. Radeon 7870 curb stomps GTX 560 ti and it can even go higher than GTX 680 performance when overclocked, which is as much as 50% faster than 560 ti. As said before, it matches GTX 580 performance. All for the same price as gtx 560 ti.


If you don't believe me, some benchs for you. ;) 

http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/...

Not once did GTX 560 ti won, even the lesser radeon hd 7850($180) performs better.


Really no reason to pay more for less when both company have similar quality products. I got no clue why GTX 560 ti is priced so high, it is an awesome card, but its pricing is a bit behind.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 2:00:11 AM

For the SSD, I'm planning on getting Samsung 128 GB. What do you think?
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 2:39:29 AM

Asrock is a reliable company it came from ASUS. Asus is known for its quality and customer service. I agreed the 7870 is good! For SSD, get the Samsung 830 128GB for os, programs. Then get a 1tb hdd for storage.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 2:48:13 AM

I would replace the raismax case with a Corsair 200r from Newegg. It's $30 after a $20 mir. Even at lisi it's the same price but it's a much better case and far easier to build in.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 3:10:28 AM

burntpizza said:
Theres no reason to that, AMD are just as reliable as Nvidia cards. Radeon 7870 curb stomps GTX 560 ti and it can even go higher than GTX 680 performance when overclocked, which is as much as 50% faster than 560 ti. As said before, it matches GTX 580 performance. All for the same price as gtx 560 ti.


If you don't believe me, some benchs for you. ;) 

http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/...

Not once did GTX 560 ti won, even the lesser radeon hd 7850($180) performs better.


Really no reason to pay more for less when both company have similar quality products. I got no clue why GTX 560 ti is priced so high, it is an awesome card, but its pricing is a bit behind.

^this.
Although this generation the nvidia cards do seem a bit better. That said, the 7870 is superior to the 560.
btw when hes saying it goes higher than the 680 when overclocked, hes saying an oc'd 7870 can out preform a stock 680. But then again an oc'ing improved many things by significant percentages
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 3:35:42 AM

^How is nvidia better at all. I thought everyone agreed nvidia was destroyed by amd this year. Their cards overclock better and were far cheaper.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 3:44:28 AM

I thought I agreed with that.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 4:09:36 AM

Make sure you check all different websites and stores for prices.

Like for example, you listed an I7-2600k for $319 you said your buying. At microcenter it usually runs for $210. Check different websites again (Microcenter, Newegg, NCIX, Tigerdirect <-- although I dislike their service) to get the best deals!
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 4:31:00 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
^How is nvidia better at all. I thought everyone agreed nvidia was destroyed by amd this year. Their cards overclock better and were far cheaper.

On the contrary I have heard the opposite from every person I've talked to. Indeed the amd cards were cheaper but the market sales were distinctly nvidia. That means they did better. Also I think the 690 was better than the 7990 and all benchmarks agree with this. Note they are benchmarks and ingame performance should be the same. Also the 670 is arguably the most successful card of the year.
In a evaluation entirely ignoring sales, I've also heard and seen from most benchmarks nvidia domination. If you have a site with amd domination please share it
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 6:27:15 AM

Hey everyone,

After looking at all your advice and through extensive research, I finally came to a build that I feel is the best for my needs and my budget. I want to thank all of you for your input and your help I was given for my build. The parts are shipped and on their way. Now I just have to assemble it. Once again, thank you all!!


Here is the list of parts I ordered:

1 x SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$299.99

1 x Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
$214.99

1 CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$69.99

1 x Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM
$69.99

1 x Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
$49.99

1 x CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
$39.99

1 x COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+
$34.99

1 x Logitech G300 Black/Gray 9 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 2500 dpi Gaming Mouse
$31.99

1 x AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Quad CrossFireX and Quad SLI A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 EXTREME4
$155.82

1 x SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-224BB - OEM
$15.99

1 x LITE-ON SK-1788/BS 2-Tone 104 Normal Keys PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard
$7.99

1 x Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
$91.99

Grand Total: $1,100 (Estimate)
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 10:35:51 PM

blacktiger826 said:
On the contrary I have heard the opposite from every person I've talked to. Indeed the amd cards were cheaper but the market sales were distinctly nvidia. That means they did better. Also I think the 690 was better than the 7990 and all benchmarks agree with this. Note they are benchmarks and ingame performance should be the same. Also the 670 is arguably the most successful card of the year.
In a evaluation entirely ignoring sales, I've also heard and seen from most benchmarks nvidia domination. If you have a site with amd domination please share it

Well sales might be better, but that is because people are dumb. There was a point this year when nvidia was better. But that time past. This year every card by amd beats it counterpart price for performance. Also. the 7990 is a stupid example to site. It was not made by amd, it was made by 3rd parties. Even if the 690 is better though, the 7990 is also over $100 less, so it still wins ppp.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 11:03:59 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
Well sales might be better, but that is because people are dumb. There was a point this year when nvidia was better. But that time past. This year every card by amd beats it counterpart price for performance. Also. the 7990 is a stupid example to site. It was not made by amd, it was made by 3rd parties. Even if the 690 is better though, the 7990 is also over $100 less, so it still wins ppp.

price to performance I have yet to see a year where amd didn't win or come close. That said, in card "levels" I dont see AMD winning in plain performance. From the benchmarks i see, its the opposite result...can you post some that support the amd side? Also you are right the 7990 is less, BUT at that price point I dont think the buyer cares much about money......Everyone I know who has a 690/7990 didn't go online or to the store with the thought of savings in their brains.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 11:33:37 PM

Here is a decent on comparing before and after 12.11 drivers.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...
All the high end amd cards went up a tier in performance basically. A lot of reviewers even said the 7870 felt like a different card. So, with the 12.11 drivers it would be stupid not to go amd. And I see what you mean about the 690 lol.
But anyways, back to the main post, yes your build looks good. Get it.
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 12:03:54 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
Here is a decent on comparing before and after 12.11 drivers.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...
All the high end amd cards went up a tier in performance basically. A lot of reviewers even said the 7870 felt like a different card. So, with the 12.11 drivers it would be stupid not to go amd. And I see what you mean about the 690 lol.
But anyways, back to the main post, yes your build looks good. Get it.

Agreed-good build.


Separate note-from the results, I agree, the 7870 got better, but the 7970 as well as 7950 seem inconclusive/not better.....Ill give you that the 7870 is better now than the 650 ti, but I still stand that the 670 is better than the 7950, the 680 is better than the 7970, and the 690 situation is different so I won't go into that.
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 2:14:00 AM

The 650ti was always worse. The 7870 is on par with the 660ti. The 7970 is barely weaker, but it trades blows with the 680 unoverclocked. Most benchmarks have it ahead now. So mathamatically speaking, it is better. Now the 670 is still better, but it is also a lot more than the 7950. All of the amd cards are better price per performance. With overclocking they easily surpass their nvidia counterparts, even when the nvidia cards are oced, because they can't oc nearly as well.
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 2:44:43 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
The 650ti was always worse. The 7870 is on par with the 660ti. The 7970 is barely weaker, but it trades blows with the 680 unoverclocked. Most benchmarks have it ahead now. So mathamatically speaking, it is better. Now the 670 is still better, but it is also a lot more than the 7950. All of the amd cards are better price per performance. With overclocking they easily surpass their nvidia counterparts, even when the nvidia cards are oced, because they can't oc nearly as well.

I don't want this to turn personal in anyway, so I hope im not angering you at all.....I just haven't seen benchmarks that are putting the new drivers on the 7970 ahead....From what I have seen, the 680 used to always be better, now the 7970 is better for AMD specialized games and the 680 for nvidia specialized games. ALSO I have never seen that AMD cards are better at OC'ing than Nvidia cards. Sure the 7970 is better because of unlocked voltage, but there are versions of the 680 with that too.

I will say that AMD is almost always better price to performance, BUT I will also say that nvidia makes better cards more of the time.
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 2:59:14 AM

I have always heard of better overclocking from the 7000 series. Most people are getting 20-30% overclocking with 7000 high end. The 600 usually can get around 10%, that's just what I have read from people, and first hand experience. I think there is an anendtech review that puts it ahead with their new drivers. there is also the gpu hierarchy
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
And no, this is not getting personal. That is what I like about computer people. They don't turn it into a freaking blood feud like console people. I do feel like we kind of hijacked this post though. :/ 
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 3:56:56 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
I have always heard of better overclocking from the 7000 series. Most people are getting 20-30% overclocking with 7000 high end. The 600 usually can get around 10%, that's just what I have read from people, and first hand experience. I think there is an anendtech review that puts it ahead with their new drivers. there is also the gpu hierarchy
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
And no, this is not getting personal. That is what I like about computer people. They don't turn it into a freaking blood feud like console people. I do feel like we kind of hijacked this post though. :/ 

yea.....woops, sometimes people get carried away.....anyways to bring it kinda back on track,

javi ur build looks good now, let us know when/if you purchased it!

and lt_dan_zsu I see what your saying about the clocking thing, that usually comes down to unlocked vs locked voltage when two cards are the same or very similar, and thats why I think the 7970 is better OC'd.....because its really hard to find an unlocked 680. When unlocked however, Id assume similar OC'ing results. The 7970 GHz edition ill assume is a pre suped up 7970. To fairly compete with that I would be bench marking a pre OC'd unlocked voltage 680, which isn't usually tested in bench marks. However, at that price point which is around 450 give or take, I will say that the price to performance is going to be 7970 route. For a 50-75 dollar difference its a better buy. That said, I think with a correctly matched 680, with unlocked voltage ect, you can surpass the performance. Now is it worth the 75 more? probably not. But almost every year, AMD is the superior card price wise.
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 3:29:28 PM

blacktiger826 said:
Agreed-good build.


Separate note-from the results, I agree, the 7870 got better, but the 7970 as well as 7950 seem inconclusive/not better.....Ill give you that the 7870 is better now than the 650 ti, but I still stand that the 670 is better than the 7950, the 680 is better than the 7970, and the 690 situation is different so I won't go into that.


Got another one for you.

http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/

Look through it, HD 7970 GHZ is in a tier by itself, it has distanced itself from 680. Also, it is cheaper.

HD 7970 can be better than 680 while costing much less.

HD 7950 is competiting in part with 670 on some games and even 680, but 99% of the time it is faster than 660 ti.

HD 7870 is only like 2-5% slower than 660ti while costing 50 ish dollars less, it beats 660 by a fair margin and is priced the same.

HD 7850 is slower than 660 but is much, much better than 650ti and only costs like 20 dollar more than 650 ti.

Add in FC3 and Hitman absolution, it is mostly an AMD game

7750 took care of GTX 650 and 640.
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 8:55:10 PM

burntpizza said:
Got another one for you.

http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/

Look through it, HD 7970 GHZ is in a tier by itself, it has distanced itself from 680. Also, it is cheaper.

HD 7970 can be better than 680 while costing much less.

HD 7950 is competiting in part with 670 on some games and even 680, but 99% of the time it is faster than 660 ti.

HD 7870 is only like 2-5% slower than 660ti while costing 50 ish dollars less, it beats 660 by a fair margin and is priced the same.

HD 7850 is slower than 660 but is much, much better than 650ti and only costs like 20 dollar more than 650 ti.

Add in FC3 and Hitman absolution, it is mostly an AMD game

7750 took care of GTX 650 and 640.

only reason the ghz is distanced is because its an improved/oc'd 7970. If I buy a free voltage OC'd 680 it will beat a 7970(personal experience, I have 5 desktops in use at the moment). The problem with all those benchmarks is they are comparing a stock card with what essentially is a OC'd card. PLUS the stock 680 has locked voltage which can be fixed, some special 680s do not have this, but those cards rarely show in benchmarks.


EDIT for clarity: what I am basicly saying is you cannot compare a GHz with a stock 680. An still, when equal ability cards are shown, NVIDIA wins.

AMD-Price to performace
NVIDIA-Performance for more price.

This is coming from a guy who refused NVIDIA till late last gen and this gen.
m
0
l
December 4, 2012 11:41:15 PM

blacktiger826 said:
only reason the ghz is distanced is because its an improved/oc'd 7970. If I buy a free voltage OC'd 680 it will beat a 7970(personal experience, I have 5 desktops in use at the moment). The problem with all those benchmarks is they are comparing a stock card with what essentially is a OC'd card. PLUS the stock 680 has locked voltage which can be fixed, some special 680s do not have this, but those cards rarely show in benchmarks.


EDIT for clarity: what I am basicly saying is you cannot compare a GHz with a stock 680. An still, when equal ability cards are shown, NVIDIA wins.

AMD-Price to performace
NVIDIA-Performance for more price.

This is coming from a guy who refused NVIDIA till late last gen and this gen.



http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/23/msi_geforce_g...

No, it would not be. HD 7970 has 7% higher ipc than GTX 680. This is way back before 12.11 huge performance boost to Radeon HD 79XX series. HD 7970 still won. Add 10% to radeon for real post 12.11 performance.

IPC article from a while back: http://www.overclock.net/t/1232948/7970-vs-gtx-680-who-...

HD 7970 GHZ is NOT an overclocked card. It is a stock card, and not a factory overclock. Therefore, the comparison is valid Beside, GTX 680 is priced around the ghz edition, so why not compare it?


I am not trying to argue with you or anything, but I ve been hearing too much of Nvidia GTX 6XX being better cause, they are more overclockable and has higher performance than comparable radeon cards, pure bs.

PS. AMD released ghz edition with almost identical clock speed as gtx 680.
m
0
l
December 5, 2012 1:44:11 AM

burntpizza said:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/23/msi_geforce_g...

No, it would not be. HD 7970 has 7% higher ipc than GTX 680. This is way back before 12.11 huge performance boost to Radeon HD 79XX series. HD 7970 still won. Add 10% to radeon for real post 12.11 performance.

IPC article from a while back: http://www.overclock.net/t/1232948/7970-vs-gtx-680-who-...

HD 7970 GHZ is NOT an overclocked card. It is a stock card, and not a factory overclock. Therefore, the comparison is valid Beside, GTX 680 is priced around the ghz edition, so why not compare it?


I am not trying to argue with you or anything, but I ve been hearing too much of Nvidia GTX 6XX being better cause, they are more overclockable and has higher performance than comparable radeon cards, pure bs.

PS. AMD released ghz edition with almost identical clock speed as gtx 680.

Same price does not mean same level. NVIDIA is known to be more expensive. Also the 680 isnt a fair test because its a stock limited card. And yes if you did what I said to do to the 680 that would happen...
The 6xx series is a higher preforming card if given the same benefits as their counterparts which can be done either manually or from buying a modified card. Why NVIDIA decided to limit their reference cards so much? Who knows......
btw you are wrong the 7970 didn't win before the update. It was behind bit. The update changed that and now the GHz model can beat the stock 680. A correctly modified 680 so it can do the same power wise? At that point it comes down to the game being nvidia based or amd based.



EDIT:that hardocp article is using an OCed 7970 btw. Its known that vs a stock 680 the 7970 will win because its more OC'able....take out the voltage limitation that difference goes away and the 680 wins.
m
0
l
!