Sign in with
Your question

What is the Cheapest Way to Have Support for 3 Monitors?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2012 1:44:18 AM

I'm building a computer for my dad and he needs support for 3 monitors and possibly more in the future. What would be the cheapest way to accomplish this? I know that the new core i5's have support for three monitors but I heard compatible motherboards are expensive. He doesn't need a lot of graphical power since this is going to be a business computer. Should I try to find a compatible motherboard, go with one graphics card with support for 3, or get 2 graphic cards each with support for 2 monitors. Price is the most important thing in this situation.
October 12, 2012 2:40:25 AM

Won't I need a display port adapter or 2? The 6670 I have only supports 2 monitors.
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 2:40:26 AM

armada120 said:
I'm building a computer for my dad and he needs support for 3 monitors and possibly more in the future. What would be the cheapest way to accomplish this? I know that the new core i5's have support for three monitors but I heard compatible motherboards are expensive. He doesn't need a lot of graphical power since this is going to be a business computer. Should I try to find a compatible motherboard, go with one graphics card with support for 3, or get 2 graphic cards each with support for 2 monitors. Price is the most important thing in this situation.

Most of the main stream current gen($200+) GPUs can support up to 4 monitor by themselves but there are far cheaper way to get your triple monitor:

An Ivy Bridge i5/i7's HD4000 would be able to handle 2 1080p monitor by itself(web broswing stuff, not gaming) with its VGA/ DVI/HDMI outputs(Z77 mobo). Buy adaptors if needed(though most monitor should accept these 3 inputs.

An ASrock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard($134.99) or any other Z77 chipset mobo with VGA,DVI,HDMI outputs combined with an Ivy Bridge CPU with HD4000 (3570 should be plenty for this, you can even go cheaper on the i5 Ivys) will be plenty for a 3 monitor setup.
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 2:45:09 AM

BigMack70 said:
Why the heck are you recommending $300+ graphics cards for a build where price is the #1 concern and that isn't going to be playing games?

Anyways, displayport to single link DVI or HDMI adapters are cheap and you can use those if you pick up a 6670 that uses displayport outputs.

I didn't recommend, just said Graphics card this gen offer 4+ outputs. What I recommended was getting a Z77 mobo with VGA/DVI/HDMI outputs combined with an Ivy Bridge CPU with HD4000.
!