Sign in with
Your question

Evga ftw gtx 670 vs gigabyte gtx 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2012 2:49:35 AM

which would be better when overclocked for bf3,borderlands 2, minecraft, tf2, dayZ and many other games?
i cant decide between the evga ftw and the gigabyte triple fan version. cant find any benchmarks on the ftw, im a little worried about the temps with the ftw seeing as it is a reference design cooler. i will probly sli in the future. all the benchmarks for the gigabyte put it behind the rest on the toms hardware review,beating only the stock nvidia card, if i overclocked the gigabyte to 1000ghz-1100ghz would it make up the difference, cause the gigabyte is a little cheaper. i also really like the black pcb and the green lights on the top of the evga, but appearance isnt a deciding factor at all.
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 2:55:42 AM

choclatechiptaco said:
which would be better when overclocked for bf3,borderlands 2, minecraft, tf2, dayZ and many other games?
i cant decide between the evga ftw and the gigabyte triple fan version. cant find any benchmarks on the ftw, im a little worried about the temps with the ftw seeing as it is a reference design cooler. i will probly sli in the future. all the benchmarks for the gigabyte put it behind the rest on the toms hardware review,beating only the stock nvidia card, if i overclocked the gigabyte to 1000ghz-1100ghz would it make up the difference, cause the gigabyte is a little cheaper. i also really like the black pcb and the green lights on the top of the evga, but appearance isnt a deciding factor at all.

My Gigabyte 670 does 1150Mhz out of the box(they say 1058 on the box, they lied -> 1058 is the minimum boost mot people get 70-110 more), I can OC it to +90(1250 boost, 1070 core /+400Mem) and When I SLI with a side fan on my R4(not a good airflow case) the Temps are not touching 65 in Heaven. I do recommend the Gigabyte 670.

Also judging by the user reviews on Overclock.net, my OC is actually quite below average.

FTW is fine, it uses a 680 cooler which is more powerful than 670 stock, but it will run hotter and noiser than the Gigabyte.

Techpowerup review

SLI, both card at stock

Single card with +90/+400

Single card stock

The difference in the two card's OC ceiling is more related to silicon luck and Thermal Throttling(you lose 13Mhz off your clock if you card runs over 70C, and another 13 over 80C) than FTW's 20Mhz higher stock clock imo.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 3:02:48 AM

Warranty and Customer service reliability is why EVGA is better.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 3:05:01 AM

is the customer service worth getting the evga over the gigabyte? and how about the ftw for performance, is it any better/worse then the gigabyte?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 3:05:43 AM

amuffin said:
Warranty and Customer service reliability is why EVGA is better.

Gigabyte warranty is not bad(it is not ASUS NA), and their RMA process is also registration free like EVGA. Their warranty is the same 3 year warranty that EVGA now offers, EVGA do allow you to add stuff like Arctic Cooling custom Cooler & Waterblocks without voiding warranty and offer step-up programs.

But with Kepler being voltage locked I don't see the point of getting Custom Air or Water cooling on these cards. Next Gen Nividia cards are just far enough away(more than 90 days) to make step-up useful.

EVGA build-up a lot of good-will and reputation with their life-time warranty in the past, but they now offer 3 year warranty like everyone else.

FTW have a higher stock clock(1006 vs 980) but Overclock wise you can look up user reviews on Overclock.net, the % of 1300Mhz cards for both are about the same(50/50 chance it seems), FTW is much more likely to run into the Thermal Throttling due to worse cooling.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 4:59:17 AM

I wouldn't say EVGA is really reference, it still performs sort of like a non reference since its actually a 680 cooler on a 680 PCB, meaning it cools ALOT better than a standard 670 cooler. I've seen people saying their fans are very quiet at idle, and get a tiny bit louder during load, -- easily mitigated with a fan controller program.

It really comes down to the clocks, and your case. The 670 FTW would be more suited in a smaller case, as it will be able to push out all its hot air out of the case. If you have a bigger case, the 670 Windforce 3 won't really affect other temperatures.
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
October 12, 2012 7:05:47 AM

Choosing a Kepler card is all about choosing the one that maintains the lowest GPU temperatures. Why? Turbo Boost is temperature dependent, and will be maintained more consistently at higher speeds with a cooler GPU.

The Gigabyte Winforce cooler will do a better job than the EVGA reference cooler. Now if you can get the EVGA Signature 2 card, that might be a different story.
m
l
!