Sign in with
Your question

BSoD, but apparently not caused by Windows... need help

Last response: in Windows 7
January 25, 2010 9:26:22 PM

Two weeks ago my computer came down with a blue screen of death. I was running Windows 7 at the time on a fairly new system (little over a year old). Great gaming PC, never had any real issues. I was unable to get past the Windows loading screen, I was unable to load up in safe mode, I was unable to start up from the last known configuration, and I was unable to run a Windows repair. All options failed. I tested the memory to see if my RAM was messed up; RAM was fine.

So I installed a brand new hard drive in today, fresh and clean. I popped in my Windows Vista DVD (I don't have a DVD for my 7) and started installing Windows Vista on the new hard drive. All was going fine. Then it finished installing and immediately I was struck by the BSoD in the same spot as before; couldn't even log in. So apparently it's not a Windows problem, there's a serious issue with my PC itself. What is wrong?

More about : bsod apparently caused windows

January 25, 2010 9:39:51 PM

During the reboots, you should get an option to disable automatic reboots, this will allow you to record the full Blue Screen message. Post the bluescreen message here, and I am sure either myself or others could help point you in the right direction. :) 
m
l
January 25, 2010 9:59:26 PM

I can't disable automatic restarts because I can't even get into my Windows control panel. I can't load up Windows in safe mode or anything, so unless there's a way to do it through the BIOS I don't know what to do.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2010 11:25:47 PM

Try plugging the SATA cable into a different spot on the board. make sure ALL connections are tight. Make sure your video card is seated...pull and reinstall. Only run 1 stick of memory. Clean dust from heat sinks. if you have a lot on the processors HS it may have gotten too hot and that is that... ???
m
l
!